Poodle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pavlov just had a professional groom at petco today.

The groomer was pretty nice. And she recognized Pavie as a doodle when she first saw him. 馃槀

But I told her I wanted a poodle cut, specifically a modified kennel cut, with clean feet, short face with a rounded top knot, leaving the ears and tail. I've never shaved his face before, so went for a short rather than clean face clip.

He looks so different now 馃槀

Dog Window Building Door Line

Dog Carnivore Dog breed Collar Road surface

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Liver Companion dog

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Really cute!

Do you cut his nails regularly yourself? If not, that might be as short as they could safely go.
I think that's possible too. The package I got included a "nail trim", but they also had an add-on "nail buff" which I didn't get. I don't regularly cut his nails myself as I'm too afraid to do it, especially with black nails...

Edit: I just took a look at his nails, and it seems like it's been trimmed, as I can see the tip of the quick in most of them. I remembered reading about this earlier as I had considered doing it myself but still felt unsure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gorgeous! He'd look great in a German clip, too.
I've never completely shaved his ears or tail either! I might try at some point :) The hair texture seems very different than the rest of this body (is more straight/wavy). The base of the tail has been shaved before and it grew out very frizzly. I'm wondering the rest of his tail and ears will grow out different if I shave it?

Feather Grass Animal product Liver Tail

Registered
I think that's possible too. The package I got included a "nail trim", but they also had an add-on "nail buff" which I didn't get. I don't regularly cut his nails myself as I'm too afraid to do it, especially with black nails...

Edit: I just took a look at his nails, and it seems like it's been trimmed, as I can see the tip of the quick in most of them. I remembered reading about this earlier as I had considered doing it myself but still felt unsure.
I thoroughly recommend making a scratch board. I got the idea from Peggy The Parti who made one and posted the details on here.

Scratch Board for Poodle Nails

It's brilliant for keeping the nails down between grooms. I am too scared to trim Winnie's nails myself. She does seem to have a long quick and her nails can't be cut down short but the scratch board stops them going too far.

Registered
Or you could just use a file for metal or wood and do it manually. You can鈥檛 do damage this way. Do it more frequently at first to make the quick recede.

Premium Member
Looks awesome!

Reactions: Pavie

Super Moderator
I've never completely shaved his ears or tail either! I might try at some point :) The hair texture seems very different than the rest of this body (is more straight/wavy). The base of the tail has been shaved before and it grew out very frizzly. I'm wondering the rest of his tail and ears will grow out different if I shave it?

View attachment 484762
Pavie's tail hair seems pretty normal to me. My guys have had tightly curled hair at the base and straighter hair further down. On Pogo and Ritter the long hair created a majestic plume. Galen's hair is the frizziest, plus he has a curly tail, so no plume for him. Neither Pogo nor Snarky developed frizzy ear hair after shave downs

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thoroughly recommend making a scratch board. I got the idea from Peggy The Parti who made one and posted the details on here.

Scratch Board for Poodle Nails

It's brilliant for keeping the nails down between grooms. I am too scared to trim Winnie's nails myself. She does seem to have a long quick and her nails can't be cut down short but the scratch board stops them going too far.
Or you could just use a file for metal or wood and do it manually. You can鈥檛 do damage this way. Do it more frequently at first to make the quick recede.
Awesome!! Thanks for the suggestion. That sounds like a brilliant idea!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts