Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I just registered here, but have been lurking and reading for a while now. I'm looking at getting my very first Standard Poodle this year and am trying to absorb all I can before I get him! I have found a wonderful breeder here in Montana, Debbie at www.debbiespoodles.com. I can't wait to go meet the parents! I'm very excited about making this addition to our little family.

My husband is a Deputy Sheriff in Madison County and I want a good, watch dog. I am thinking about joining the search and rescue with my poodle as well. If not search and rescue at least agility and obedience!

Anyway, that's my introduction... I'm not shy, so you'll learn more about me as time goes on!!:itsme:

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome. Before you commit to buying a Poodle I hope you take the time to educate yourself about Poodle specific issues. This includes such things as health issues, health testing, quality of breeding dogs, appropriate breeding age etc.

There are some good resources on this site but feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Edited to add that if you are interested in doing performance sports and search and rescue, you might try to find a breeder who has breeding dogs with performance titles or a track record of producing puppies who title in performance sports. This will give you a better chance of getting a puppy with appropriate drive and work ethic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info! I've done some research already and it was because of Debbie's track record with her dogs that I chose her. Her dogs are all health tested and many of her puppies have done different performance sports. There aren't going to be any puppies on the ground until the end of Feb. So I have some time to do some good research. I plan on getting a few different Poodle books as well! Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
It is really important to learn what testing should be done on breeding dogs and what testing results mean.

Her stud dog, Shilo (sire of upcoming litter), tested SA Equivocal in 2002 and I don't see that he was retested. This means that by now, he could be SA subclinical or even affected. I also see on OFA that he has produced an offspring who tested SA subclinical. This would be a big concern to me.

She is also breeding a Brown (Shilo) to an Apricot (Rosie) which good breeders don't do because it produces Creams and Apricots with liver pigment. On a Cream, liver pigment is a disqualifying fault. It should be a red flag to a buyer when breeders breed their own untitled bitches to their own untitled studs.

I don't see CERF testing on her bitch and her stud dog has an eye issue (breeder discretion) but he has not had a follow up CERF since 2006. CERF testing should be done on a yearly basis.

I don't see any Von Willebrands (VWBs) testing. If she has done this but not listed her testing, make sure that you see hard copy evidence of Normal results since VWB affected Poodles can bleed to death.

Re performance prospect.....Debbie does not have any performance titles on her own breeding dogs. On top of this, I don't see on www.poodlepedigree that any dogs that she has produced have gotten any performance titles. The only things listed are two CGC certificates. While this is an indication of temperament, it would not be any indication of actual working ability. Do you know which of her dogs that you have seen have Obedience or Agility titles?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cbrand, thanks so much for all the great info! I really appreciate it. I'll do some more digging to understand all the results. It's all so confusing. LOL

As far as I understand through emailing the breeder, the dogs are up to date on their testing and she does test for VWB. But I will be sure to see a hard copy of the testing. Thanks for the heads up!

I've bred and trained miniature horses for the last 10 years and understand how risky it can be when dealing with animals that carry undesirable genes. I definitely want the healthiest dog I can get!

As for the dogs being titled, they don't show any of their dogs. The dogs that I know have done performance sports were not titled either. I just know that they have succeeded in what the owners wanted to try with them. Temperament is very important to me and though I understand that dogs with titles and champions are great dogs, that isn't as important to me.

I will continue do to lots of research and I'm planning a trip over to Debbie's area to see the dogs myself, this month. That is also a biggie for me. I was burned TERRIBLY by a bad breeder when I got my Miniature Aussies, and DO NOT need that in my life again! :wacko: Not a good experience...

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Welcome, Ladybug!! One of the names I was considering for our red standard poodle puppy was Ladybug, but my husband objected so we named her Lucy (cuz she's a redhead) and just to be obstinate (my favorite state of being!) I call her Lucybug all the time now!! :lol:

My husband's boss, Julie, has a black standard poodle from Debbie. When we were doing our poodle research we checked out Shiloh Gardens because Julie recommended her - after looking things over, we decided not to go with her (for many reasons) and although Julie really loves her dog, we knew we could do better. Being in North Dakota (and Montana is no different, I'm sure) the options of finding a quality breeder nearby are limited. We finally found Lucybug in Ontario!!

Julie also has a standard poodle from a small scale breeder in Minnesota, but her program wasn't what we were looking for either. I was looking for a breeder close to me geographically, but in time I realized it was more important to find a breeder close to me philosophically, with the same standards, beliefs and ethics I hold. It took me a lot of time and research to find the breeder from whom we acquired our 'bug, but now I couldn't be happier!!

Best of luck with your new family member when you get him/her... and a little piece of advice after you are joined by your poodle baby... WE WANT PICTURES!! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking for New standard poodle

Hi there,
This is my intro post, although I have been reading the forum for months and seeing great information and candid feedback.
My standard passed away four months ago and I am starting the search for a new baby. There is nothing like a standard. I live in Montana and Arizona (winters). Does anyone have suggestions for good breeders in the western half of the US? I am looking for a dog with a temperament that I could train to make nursing home visits with me. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,498 Posts
Tthompson40 - you are probably better starting a new intro thread, to be sure the mods notice your post. Just click on the New Thread button in the Member Introductions forum.

Reactions: Tthompson40
1 - 10 of 10 Posts