Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I should just get a grooming book or DVD but I haven't yet. What parts of the body are usually scissored? I mentioned earlier that I recently splurged on a professional job for Max. She did a good job but left him longer than I had in mind. (Better than the alternative)

He needs a bath and from what I understand, I need to get a good straight blow dry in order to get a neat trim. His coat is so long, I'm tempted to cut it first so it's easier to blow dry. Part of the problem is that I'm still not equipped to keep him standing up. I bought a loop thing but need a second one for he rear end. He just wants to curl up in a ball when I'm drying him.

Any tips?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If you are wanting any kind of shape you need to bath and blow dry before you do any clipping. Even if using a clipper with a guard things are a lot more even and smooth with a B&BD ;)

You can scissor any place on the dog but for the most part, depending on pattern) its the head, ears, tail pompon and legs.

What are you wanting to do with him?

As for the standing up thing keep one had on his belly and hold him up, if he keeps wanting to ball up let him while you do his legs, head/ears/ and topline and then get him standing to finish. That's what I do with most big dogs. If you can get him to lay on his side while you dry that would be better then standing because at least you could sit longer! I don;t use any kind of restraint other then my own hands to keep them where I want them. When he is standing tell him "stand" and "stay" in a low even tone and praise.

·
Registered
3,307 Posts
you CAN cut him before the bath if you wish to make blow drying faster. The before the bath trim is sometimes called a rough cut. After the bath and blow dry you can finish trimming him in whatever style you choose and neaten everything up. You won't get a smooth finish until after the blow dry.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Will post pics when I get around to the bath. The brushing part is taking so long I keep running out of time. Plus my back has been killing me. Went to a chiro and he made it worse!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts