Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all! My sweet mini poodle recently died. :( Ginger was 14 years old in Jan. and died in March. She was the sweetest dog :angel: (except the times that she was naughty!)

I had her before I got married and before I had a child. Both of which I now have.

We want to get another poodle: a)because we love them, b)because I am allergic to almost all animals. Now that we have a 4 year old son, I'm thinking a bigger dog would be good. DH & I thought a spoo would be great. However, I went to see a 60 lb dog yesterday and was a bit overwhelmed by the size. I've never had a dog that big.

Is there such a thing as a small standard or a big mini? If so, how do we find them? We had been planning to do a rescue, but the more specific we are, the more challenging that will be.

Suggestions? We live in TX.

Thanks in advance.

Dee

Edited to say that we weren't planning on a puppy but will go that route if we need to.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Hi Dee....My condolences on the lost of your beloved poodle.

My sister and I bought spoos recently and we did a lot of research and looking. There is quite a difference in sizes and weights in the standards. We have one that we expect to be at least 24" and about 50+ pounds and we have one that is very petite and will never see that size. I did depend on my sister with more experience to make an educated guess at the adult size of the puppies. Perhaps others here will be able to give you move in-depth info.

The best of luck to you and your family on your search.

·
Poodle Named Moose
1,125 Posts
We have a small standard.
Barely 55lbs wet.

He's just a shy bigger than my brother's dog which is a standard / golden mix miniature.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
sorry for your lost. And welcome !

Find a breeder who guarantees dogs help and health test. You can find different sizes within different bloodlines. Some breeders will have pups that they will believe will not get the height desired which is why they could be pet quality.

I do not know poodle bloodlines well enough yet to tell you what kennel will have what you are looking for, but I am sure someone else will know something.

Where are you located ?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dee. :wave:

I am really sorry for your loss.

Standards really do come in all sizes, as the range is anything over 15". Do your homework, find a reputable breeder that shows and health tests as it is more important than anything else. My two standards are very different. My male is very large boned, barrel chested (think body builder), 25"+ inches and 72 lbs of solid muscles. My females is a dainty, small boned (think ballerina) 22" or 23" (not sure exactly) 42 lbs when wet standard poodle.

Where are you located?

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
Welcome and so sorry for your loss. The first poodle I saw was so big I thought - ok no poodle for me. But then a few months later I was looking on line and saw a breeder advertising her pups and she had a pic of the father and mother and they both were smaller so I emailed her and through her found my Ginger who is 43 lbs. and just the right size for me. Teddy is a little heavier - 52 but that's because he is overweight lol - he is the same height as Ginger. So good luck - you will find the right size - just check the line and see the parents if you can.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Mandy girl is only just over 30 bs for a standard that is tiny. They are out there you gotta look. My last dog was an english mastiff so sheis very tiny to us.
My male standard is 55 lbs and I am looking for one just a bit bigger to complete my spoodle family

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your kind words and advice. I will keep the search going.

Did you get Mandy as a puppy or an adult?

Thanks--
Dee

·
Registered
183 Posts
Sorry for your loss of Ginger.

I lost my dear miniature poodle Shep exactly one year ago and waited until December to get a new one.

I have a large miniature (20pounds at 7 months....a bit taller at the shoulders and standing on hind feet than usual). She was the largest in her litter and the breeder knew she could not show her due to her projected adult size.

I think a minature poodle is an ideal size to have with young children. Your child would get knocked over by anything larger. He would probably get knocked over by a lively miniature poodle too!

Getting a rescue is great but you will need to be careful to find the right dog who isn't aggitated by younger children and who isn't a snapper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts