Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I've been learning to brush my spoo, and I feel like I'm getting better at it. I purchased a steel comb based on recommendations I've read here and elsewhere, but I have to admit that I don't really see its purpose. I usually start with the pin brush to get out the tangles, and then finish with the slicker brush. I find myself not using the comb. What do you use it for?

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
You use it to comb through the hair all the way to the skin. Sometimes with a brush you will pick up mats near the tips of the fur but can miss mats forming near the skin. Combing is important.

·
Registered
6,920 Posts
If your dog is still a puppy, you might not see the purpose of it. But wait until he gets into coat change, and after that, when he has his adult coat. It will be a must that you use it.

·
Registered
932 Posts
There are common locations for matting that may be difficult to detect with a brush . . . behind the ears and behind the top of the front legs.

·
Premium Member
1,558 Posts
I use 3 different combs on my poodle. One is a "poodle" comb (the teeth are far apart) to start with. Then I have a steel comb that has two different teeth widths on it. I then do the one farther apart, and it gets me much closer to the skin, and gets any mats that might be forming. Then the smaller toothed side to get the little tiny "mats" that may be starting to form and get all the way down to his skin. He looks freshly groomed after. The comb is really great.

I also used a slicker brush at the beginning and found it did more pulling of his hair than brushing through it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts