Poodle Forum banner

newbie question about grooming 2 yo spoo

8407 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  T o d d
my spoo is 2 and beautiful. he is a brown and white parti. his name is harley and he came to live with us with a mohawk. it was very cute and i liked it.

i have owned poodles before but they were minis and we didn't spend a lot of time on the grooming. we kept the mini bathed well and had her groomed about every 6-8 weeks. we liked the scruffy, curly look.

i've tried this with the spoo. however, when we got him (about 4 months ago) he had bad ear infections so we ended up shaving his ears while he was on meds so the infection would completely clear up (and it did...much happier dog now).

we got him groomed about 6 weeks after we got him and got the mohawk again (still very cute) but shaved ears and he lost his plume tail because we took him camping and it got all matted. (neither he nor i are good campers.)

however, when we got him home from grooming, he was miserable. running crazy all over the house licking at his legs and paws. he seemed traumatized. he's a pretty timid dog by nature. now he has a curly mohawk that's grown out some and he's a bit scruffy on the face.

i feel like i need to get him groomed soon, but he was so traumatized that i'm afraid to take him back. i went to an indepently owned groomer but don't think i want to go back there.

is he going to be ok being a curly dog or is this harmful to spoos? i don't brush him -- just keep him clean. i don't want him to end up with painful mats.

also, how do i find a good local groomer? i know of one about 40 minutes from me but that seems a long distance. we have several chain stores but i'm afraid of them, too. i don't know of any other spoo people to ask for recommendations in my area.

thanks in advance for your help.

doggielover

no idea how to post pics or i would do that.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thank you so much, aiden. i ran into a fellow spoo lover and found out a good local place for grooming. we have an appointment for wed. i'm very excited. i think we're going to go with the short sport cut. it's probably best for us.

:)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.