Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I have enjoyed reading this forum for the past couple of months since we decided to get a minipoo as a family companion, at the begging of our two daughters, age 10 & 11.

We are expecting to pick up a puppy in a couple of weeks from a local breeder. She will be about 10 weeks old. The breeder told us that the puppy just had a health check at 8 weeks and everything looks good. I asked for the vet's name and a copy of the health check result. She provided the name of the vet clinic and said that we would be getting a health card when we pick up the pup. We are not sure if the health card is written by the vet or by the breeder. I want to ask for clarification but not sure if that would offend her.

What do you typically get in terms of health general checkup before picking a new puppy?

Thanks a bunch,

Panini's Mom

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Usually just a general overall health check/exam that will also include dates of vaccinations and wormings done to date and any other physical concerns, if found. I'm hoping you asked about OFA/DNA testing of the Dam and Sire and also asked to see results or a copy of the pedigree so you could check for yourself their statuses on the OFA database. A puppy 'Health check' is not the same as the testing done to the Dam and Sire to help insure your pup is genetically sound against the inherited diseases that can currently be tested for! Hope this helped. There is a sticky here describing what to look for when buying a puppy called Buying a Puppy Safely.

Reactions: PaninisMom

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, MollyMuiMa. Could you clarify whether the general health/check up exam info that you mentioned should come as a record written by the vet, or is this just a record that the breeder creates by himself/herself?

Yes, I did read the Buying a Puppy Safely sticky and I did ask her about genetic testing. She told me that she did the hip and eye testing for the Dam and Sire.

Panini's Mom

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
On the puppy health check I would expect to see the basics (is the bite correct, eyes and ears clear, heart OK), plus information about worming and vaccinations to date. It tends to be a pretty minimal check, but may also pick up on less common issues such as liver shunt or joint problems.

I think it is a very good idea to take out insurance before bringing your puppy home, to cover any health-related issues that may emerge over the first year or two (which also tend to be the peak months for accidents, swallowing dangerous objects, and other potentially expensive vet emergencies). Insurance is inexpensive for poodle puppies, although it may be worth starting a savings account for later years.

·
Registered
3,524 Posts
Well there are two distinctively different health tests.
1. Is a health test from vet and can be given to you by breeder, she will list vets name, date of exam and a list of current vaccinations.
2. And this should be given or asked for prior to purchasing a puppy. Is a health tested on the sire and dam prior to the breeding of puppies. See this site Miniature Testing - Versatility In Poodles, Inc. : Versatility In Poodles, Inc.

I feel this earlier testing will help eliminate future genetic problems with a dog as they age, though its no guarantee.

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
We've always taken our breeders' word on the health check by their vet along with documents showing what immunizations have been given and results of OFA testing. Our contracts have always had a requirement to take the pup to our vet within 48-72 hours after coming home to have someone we know evaluate the pup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts