Poodle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of adopting a miniature poodle and would like to get information. Many, many years ago I had a poodle and I remember the poor soul had constant ear problems, probably my ignorance. So I would like to know if a home made or raw (which I feed my current dog) diet helps in that regard and also if its ok to assume clipping down to a puppy clip every 3 months would work (along with regular brushing at home). Also does anyone know of a good but kind groomer in Montgomery County MD. Thats the other thing that worries me, what the poor dog has to go through with ears being plucked and stuff like that :( Thanks for any input. emily

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Chronic ear infections are usually related to food allergies. I personally don't pluck ear hair regularly and my dogs don't seem to have any problems.

I would think that every 12 weeks is too long between grooms. I would recommend no longer than 8 weeks.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hallo and welcome to the forum fellow Marylander :biggrin:

I agree with cbrand... a lot of chronic ear infections are related to allergies.

I usually take my dog to the local Petsmart to have her ears plucked. (located in Germantown) The woman who works there is very nice and she does it in a few seconds and usually she is done before Ponki really knows what's going on.

I don't have any suggestions as far as groomers are concerned, as I usually just groom all my dogs myself.

Good luck with finding a groomer and please share info on any great groomers if you find, I would love to know about them and it's always great to have someone to refer people too.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've heard some horror stories about how painful plucking can be and others assert that it's really not such an ordeal. I brush my standard Jackson while watching TV at night and sometimes I'll reach in and grab a couple fingers-full of earhair. For the most part he just wants to sniff it and doesn't seem too phased by it but if I do it for too long he'll bury that ear in my lap. I always give a really good ear rub after and he really likes that part.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts