Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, first thing first, I'm really newbie and I came here to learn about poodle. And not just newbie to poodle but also newbie to dog. By the way I have cat at home, thinking about to have another pet. I have a neighbour who adopt the dog but personally I don't have any experience to deal with the dog behaviour.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Hello and Welcome!

I's good that you want to learn first. It's important to know not only how to raise a puppy/dog/poodle, but also the changes that may be helpful or even necessary in your life to do it well.

Good luck! Ask away :)

·
Premium Member
9,622 Posts
Welcome! I think it’s wonderful that you are considering a dog. It’s possible to be a “both” person:)

·
Premium Member
22,982 Posts
It certainly is possible to be both a cat and a dog person! I also commend you for wanting to do research before getting a dog, whether it be a poodle or another breed or adopting an All American dog from a shelter. I have had cats and dogs throughout my life. Kittens are super easy compared to any sort of puppy. Poodle puppies are a world unto themselves and not necessarily the easiest breed to start with. With toy puppies there are risks of hypoglycemia. With all size poodles there are extensive grooming requirements. If you have a standard you need to have time for training and exercise appropriate to their larger size. Don't get me wrong I think they are the best dogs in the world, but they are a breed that has to be carefully considered to make sure you are making a good life style match.

·
Registered
4,502 Posts
If you are a cat person, I think a toy poodle would be great, I have had a total of 8, 2 were puppies and the rest was 8 months to 5 years old. You have t make sure you watch them when they are young for the item mentioned earlier, but I Personally have never had a problem with any of mine.

Just a though but I would imagine a puppy would be best especially if an older dog had not been around cats.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Glory and Lily for all the tips and advice. I have to think about everything possible outcome when you have the dog inside the house, being a cat person for a long time maybe need a good determination and also the strong will to change the lifestyle.

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I think its good you are researching whether you want to have a dog/puppy before committing to one. They live a long time and depend on you for their care. This I'm sure you know because you are a cat person. I too have had both cats & dogs forever. I always end up with a cat or 3, lol but really I am a dog person. Cats are more independent. If its raining, or you are sick, or you like to sleep late, early to bed..with a cat you can. With a dog, Not so much, they need mental stimulation, a walk and most have to be taken out to potty even when your sick or its raining. Poodles also need regular grooming, every 4 weeks for my standard, so I figure at least $100 a month just in grooming. Then food & vet & training costs.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
I love both cats and dogs, but I always feel that living with a cat is like living with an adult, while a dog is much more like living with a child. My cats, once past kittenhood, mostly make up their own minds about what to do, when and where, while the dogs are far more dependent on me for attention, exercise and guidance. Even the basics like house training are a very different experience with puppies - kittens usually arrive knowing how and when to use a tray, and easily teach themselves to toilet outside, but with pups it can be an uphill battle. But it is all worth while when I can share the pleasure of long country walks with my dogs, pootle round the gardens with a mixed gang of animals, then relax in the evenings under a heap of cats and dogs all snuggled up comfortably together.

If you have cats at the moment do consider their feelings - not all cats are dog savvy, and for those who dislike dogs, asking them to share their home and safe place with one may be unfair.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Good for you for doing research first! A good thing for you, since you have never had a dog before, and you know nothing about dog behaviors, ( very different from a cat) you might want to do volunteer work at a animal rescue center or find a breeder who would let you 'help' at their kennel so you can get an idea of the way a dog behaves/interacts and whether or not you even like it and are capable of the work it takes to have a dog!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts