Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
We may not be welcome here, but we have a standard silver poodle named "Kozmo". I wanted to introduce and say hello.

Yes we do breed Labradoodles but we also own a silver standard poodle and love showing him off to everyone that enters are homes as strangers and leave as friends.
When people see Kozmo, the men especially always ask if he is for sale?
When they see him jump 6 feet into the air to chase balls and see how well he retrieves and see how athletic the Poodle breed can be they instantly want to take him home.

Never have we had a better dog in our home. He is the gentle mellow guy he has always been. As a puppy he never chewed on anything like shoes or furniture, always polite and social.

Some of you may snub us for breeding labradoodles, but I just want to add, that we direct people to the poodle breed many times for the best allergy friendly dog if this is their main concern.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
well welcome!

I just want to know though, if the standard poodle is so awesome, why on earth do you want to dilute it out to a labrador??? Labs are great, poodles are great, but they invariably don't mix very well!!! You yourself just went on about how utterly awesome your spoo is, so why do you cross him to a different breed when you could have more awesome poodles instead!??

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't quite understand the point of being here other than to start something but I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Welcome - Poodles are great we will all agree on that for sure!! :)

Why do you "breed Poodles to Labs"? What is your goal as a breeder to do this?

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
Welcome!! :]

I just want to say that the mellow dog in our home is a labradoodle...that we saved from a rescue 5hrs before he was due to get his lil heart shot ^_^
hopefully you're a bit more responsible then my lovely boys breeeder

and I hope you become a valued member of the forum ^_^

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome!! :]

I just want to say that the mellow dog in our home is a labradoodle...that we saved from a rescue 5hrs before he was due to get his lil heart shot ^_^
hopefully you're a bit more responsible then my lovely boys breeeder

and I hope you become a valued member of the forum ^_^
Very kind.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Welcome! :)

I love the look of Kozmo, silvers are one of my favourites..
Just doing some snooping around, and found your website
RILABRADOODLES,HOME

Would you be able to tell us a bit about your breeding practices etc.??

:)

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
oh, nice to see your website, and nice to see you at least do hip testing... but why you only give a 3 year warranty on hips??? (and 2 years on other stuff) What if they're 5 years old and their hips get bad?! I'm not trying to be mean, I'm genuinely interested why you'd have a 'time limit' on something so important as health...

·
Registered
708 Posts
Welcome. I really don't think this newcomer owes anyone an explanation. It was stated that he/she has a poodle and thus a good reason to come to a poodle forum. I am sure the mention of the labradoodles was to be open and honest as I'm sure he/she has read some of the topics. If this person makes posts about the labradoodles/breeding etc, then it's fair game, but why does he/she have to answer all of these questions just because everyone is "curious"? I'm not saying I am supportive of labradoodles, but harassing a newcomer is certainly not going to help anyone. Perhaps some of us could learn a thing or two from someone even if they are not on the same wavelength as us or vice versa.

Another thing about the health testing, why should a breeder offer a lifetime guarantee on hips? No one can guarantee even with testing that a pup would not eventually have hip dysplasia. At some point, the owner has to be responsible for having a living creature and it can't all fall back on a breeder no matter what the breed. It is the breeder's job to do everything in his/her power to prevent sick puppies, but they certainly should not have to be responsible for the life of the dog in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Welcome. I really don't think this newcomer owes anyone an explanation. It was stated that he/she has a poodle and thus a good reason to come to a poodle forum. I am sure the mention of the labradoodles was to be open and honest as I'm sure he/she has read some of the topics. If this person makes posts about the labradoodles/breeding etc, then it's fair game, but why does he/she have to answer all of these questions just because everyone is "curious"? I'm not saying I am supportive of labradoodles, but harassing a newcomer is certainly not going to help anyone. Perhaps some of us could learn a thing or two from someone even if they are not on the same wavelength as us or vice versa.
They don't owe an explanation, I'm just asking, seeing they bought it up first! lol. They're still welcome to take part in the forum as a poodle owner too, no one hasn't offered them a welcome... There are plenty of others on here who own doodles too! :)

Another thing about the health testing, why should a breeder offer a lifetime guarantee on hips? No one can guarantee even with testing that a pup would not eventually have hip dysplasia. At some point, the owner has to be responsible for having a living creature and it can't all fall back on a breeder no matter what the breed. It is the breeder's job to do everything in his/her power to prevent sick puppies, but they certainly should not have to be responsible for the life of the dog in my opinion.
Ok, I'm gonna go off topic here, but really, then why guarantee at all?! Seriously, if you're gonna guarantee (against genetic problems common in the chosen breed/s) then why on earth would you put a time limit on it? I'm truely curious, cos it seems like such an odd concept that I don't get it, and obviously there must be a reason behind it, so maybe I can learn something new...! I guess I just assumed that if you were gonna go so far as to guarantee against genetic issues, that it'd cover the life of the dog, seeing genetic issues can, and do, crop up in the other 10 years of it's life too! If you don't think a breeder should offer a guarantee, then they don't need to, just I don't (personally) see the point of a time limit on it.

:fish:

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Welcome to the Poodle Forum, RILabradoodles! So far I haven't seen anything that looks like harrassing to me, just genuinely curious questions from fellow members (hey, *I* have questions, too!) :) Most everyone on this forum who breeds their dogs and bring living, breathing souls into this world have had their breeding practices scrutinized and questioned by other members. As long as the posts don't get nasty, personally attacking or threatening; this is the way the rest of the community can learn something new.

Sometimes the "nameless, faceless" medium of a forum can lose (or erroneously add) the writer's "tone" or body language - but as long as we remember that and don't automatically think that the other person is spoiling for a fight things should run smoothly...

I've read other doodle threads and honestly have the same (non-judging) question. Why would someone choose to cross two breeds that are awesome on their own and create offspring that may or may not carry the best (or the worst) of each breed? I have some close friends who have labra- and goldendoodles and they love their dogs every bit as I love mine...

Again, welcome RIL and hopefully you won't mind enlightening the poodle purists on the forum! :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome....

I guess the question on everyone's mind is:

If Poodles, as you say, are so wonderful (and we all think they are!) why would you need to cross it with a Lab or Golden.

To date, and we have many Doodles in our community, I have never seen a Doodle that could hold a candle to my Poodles. It sounds like in your own home that is true, too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Helllo all ,
Thank you for the nice "Warm Welcome" to the Poodle community.
To Cbrand: You said, "To date, and we have many Doodles in our community, I have never seen a Doodle that could hold a candle to my Poodles. It sounds like in your own home that is true, too. "
I'de like to say that we think that Kozmo is a wonderful wonderful dog, he does not have the exact qualities as Monet & Kelsey ( Labradoodles)...He is more reserved yes, as they are tail waggers when I enter the room, Kelsey will swim all day, Kozmo would rather lay around, Kelsey & Monet could retrieve balls all day..Kozmo only will do this for maybe 30 mins. then gets too bored or tired....Its almost like he has a built in tummy twisting barometer, and knows his limits as to prevent bloat...he only nibbles at night, will never eat during the day.

His temperament is wonderful and we decided to infuse Kelsey's playful manner and love of the retrieving, and friendly manner with Kozmo's warm, calm, mellow traits. WE did health testing to ensure nothing in the genetic makeup that was negative in any way would be passed on to their offspring. Their pups have soft non shedding coats, are friendly,intelligent and playful and safe around small children and are hypoallergenic friendly to those that were searching for a playful friendly dog for their children who suffer asthma, and or allergies to dander. These are a few reasons, we chose to breed labradoodles.

We had a terrible experience with our first labradoodle in that he came to us with the life threatening Parvo- Virus, and became very ill 5 days after bringing him home.
They did not offer a friendly health warranty at the time , and 800.00 was an extreme amount to not be fully protected. Their rule was no money reimbursed unless we brought the pup back to them..which we reluctantly had to do...

So based on our horrible experience, we offer compensation up the original cost of the pup to assist in defraying vet bills associated with illness or hip complications. We became motivated to breed labradoodles because there was no-one here locally breeding and those that were, well were not into it for the breed, just the money, offering no warranties at all.

To answer the question as to why we set a time limit at all? We feel this guarantee is the best there is to offer our customers, which is very fair in protecting the puppy as well as their original investment.

Testing the breeding stock will not guarantee health of all the pups we understand, but it does identify undesirable genetic disease not to be passed on ever, trying to make our labradoodle pups the healthiest, for families to enjoy for many years without illness cropping up.

We feed the pregnant moms super homemade stews....we continue feeding her super nutritous meals when lactating also. We put every effort into ensuring our pups get a great start to their lives.

Our hearts are into breeding and providing healthy pups to all of our customers. We ensure that our customers know first hand that we loved their babies before they did , and we have an interest in their happiness and well being for life and if any issues pop up into their lives we will provide life long assistance with re-homing if this should ever occur, no questions asked. And we have done this on 3 instances, finding wonderful homes for their doodles when the need arose.

The poodle is wonderful, we recognize this BUT it is not for every one. There is a prejudice among many men about poodles...so many think they are "Foo Foo" type of dogs, and we all know, based on our ownership of poodles, that they are not foo foo at all. Quite the opposite actually.We love to see reactions ( especially from the men) when they see Kozmo glide through the air, and jump over our fences in the back yard...it is priceless to see their impressions change as they watch him....

Which dog one chooses to own or to breed is a personal preference. One I believe I shouldn't have to defend.
Thank you Kalamama for your welcome & your intelligent insight...

I hope I answered your questions to the fullest about us about our love for the poodles and labradoodle breed.
Martha

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Helllo all ,
Thank you for the nice "Warm Welcome" to the Poodle community.
To Cbrand: You said, "To date, and we have many Doodles in our community, I have never seen a Doodle that could hold a candle to my Poodles. It sounds like in your own home that is true, too. "
I'de like to say that we think that Kozmo is a wonderful wonderful dog, he does not have the exact qualities as Monet & Kelsey ( Labradoodles)...He is more reserved yes, as they are tail waggers when I enter the room, Kelsey will swim all day, Kozmo would rather lay around, Kelsey & Monet could retrieve balls all day..Kozmo only will do this for maybe 30 mins. then gets too bored or tired....
I would say then that Kozmo's behavior is atypical for a Poodle. Poodes were originally bred to be water retrievers. My own poodles are terrific natural retrievers and they will retrieve until my arm wears out (but will quit when I say it is time to stop). As far as getting tired, Poodles are known for their athleticism and stamina. While other dogs are hucking a lung at the top of a mountain, my dogs are fresh and ready to go again.

Its almost like he has a built in tummy twisting barometer, and knows his limits as to prevent bloat...he only nibbles at night, will never eat during the day.
Exercise does not induce Bloat. If is more a matter of age, structure and genetics.

The poodle is wonderful, we recognize this BUT it is not for every one. There is a prejudice among many men about poodles...so many think they are "Foo Foo" type of dogs........
So perhaps instead of playing to the prejudice by breeding a Poodle to a supposedly more "manly" dog like a Lab, you could be part of the solution. Why not go out and change the perception of Poodles by competing in performance or by working in something like therapy?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I don't understand what makes a shaggy labradoodle more manly than a curly haired poodle? Sorry but they really aren't a more manly dog and there aren't really any "benefits" that you listed that would cause me to think that mix is beneficial over the actual breed itself. I don't see why there needs to be a combination when if you want a dog with a lab temperament, get one. If you want a dog with a poodle temperament, get one. Labradoodles are not nonshedding so that would be the only "benefit" I would see a breeder riding on which isn't even truthful to begin with.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
And then there are men like my husband, who - so secure in his manhood; LOVES to walk his Lucybug Fancypants in all her continental clip glory!! :lol: :pound: The last time Meau had to be picked up at the groomer, I offered to go get her but he INSISTED that he be allowed to go pick her up (so he could be seen with, yet again, another gorgeously coiffed standard pooode!) He's so goofy, but he LOVES his girls! :)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts