Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Ella and my girl is a standard named Madeleine. She’s 9 weeks old and 10.5 lbs. I’m a serious novice with no idea how much she should weigh and what normal growth rates should be. Can someone tell me what is typical or average?

Thanks

Ella

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Hi Ella,

You will learn that there is quite a range of sizes for standard poodles. Some are quite petite and some as large as 100 lbs. I prefer the petite size as they are easier for me to handle and I live alone and am not as strong as I used to be when younger. My previous girl, Iris was 10 lbs at 9 weeks and as an adult Iris was 21" at the shoulder and 37 lbs. Friends of mine had her litter mate brother and he was exactly the same size. That was a perfect portable size for me. I loved her petite elegance.

My current girl, Poppy , is a bit larger at 23" and 45 lbs. I got Poppy at 13 weeks and she was already 16.5 lbs so I knew she would be a bit larger than Iris was. Still a manageable size for me.

I have been told that a good rule of thumb for judging future adult size is to take their 4 month (16 wks) weight and double it. That should be pretty close to their adult weight, give or take about 10%.

Whatever her adult size is I am sure you will enjoy her as much as I have enjoyed my petite girls.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Welcome to you and Madeleine!

I'm adding a link to a chart with some very general growth charts:

POODLE PUPPY GROWTH CHARTS

As VQ said, there can be a lot of variation. Did you see her parents before she came home with you? Their size would be an indicator, but not a guarantee.

You can also try using the Search function at the top of the page for posts about this, and I'm sure some more members will give some additional input.

Here's one thread:

https://www.poodleforum.com/5-poodle-talk/13694-found-great-height-weight-chart-puppies.html#post171124

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
Hi Ella and welcome. I wouldn't worry too much about what your puppy should weigh. As others have said, there is a lot of variation. Unlike some other breeds, poodles do not overeat. So you can just feed your puppy as much as she wants and she should be fine. For comparison, here are puppy weights for my Cammie (a small female - 35 pounds as an adult) and Sam (an average sized male - 50 pounds as an adult)

Cammie weight

10 weeks: 7 lbs
11 weeks: 8 lbs
12 weeks: 10 lbs
3 months: 10 lbs, 13 in
4 months: 17 lbs, 16 in 49% of adult weight.
5 months: 21 lbs, 18 in
6 months: 26 lbs, 19 in 74% of adult weight
8 months: 32 lbs, 20 in 91% of adult weight
9 months: 32 lbs, 21 in
12 months: 35 lbs, 21 in
18 months: 35 lbs, 21.5 in

Sam weight

4 weeks: 5.3 lbs
6 weeks: 7.6 lbs
8 weeks: 11.0 lbs
9 weeks: 12.3 lbs
10 weeks: 15.0 lbs
12 weeks: 18.3 lbs
4 months: 26 lbs 51% of adult weight
5 months: 32 lbs
6 months: 39 lbs 76% of adult weight
8 months: 43 lbs 84% of adult weight
12 months: 49 lbs
18 months: 51 lbs

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Rather than weight, feel the puppy's ribs. If you cannot feel them, the puppy is too fat. If there is a depression between them, the puppy is too thin. Some puppies tend to be a bit thin - Zoe was. If you can free feed (i.e. leave food down all the time), do so. If not, try to increase the amount or the calories. I made satin balls for Zoe to increase her weight. You can find recipes for satin balls on the internet.

Generally speaking, being on the thin side is preferable to being overweight.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts