Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

I will be getting a 9 week toy poodle for Christmas. I am very nervous about leaving him home for 12 hours alone while I'm at work. Frankie will be staying in a room with ceramic tile while I'm at work and I'm not sure if the room is too big or should I put him in a small crate. Help!! I don't want to abuse him by leaving him alone too long while he's so young. Any suggestions.........................................I want to be a good mom to Frankie.

Any suggestions will be greatyl appreciated!

BJ from Maryland

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow you work long hours.
I leave the house at 5 in the morning and return at 5, I live in the Washington,DC area and it takes an 1 1/2 to get to and from work. I know, I am a little concerned about leaving him alone so long.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I want to say welcome and to congratulate you on your pup:)

Your already starting to be a good Mom by being concerned that Frankie will be home alone for that long. You need another plan for the little guy. Is there anyone that can come by your home and visit him for an hour or so? A puppy needs a lot of attention and training the first few months I think, and being gone 12 hours a day is not really giving him much time to develop do you think? Awww, I know how bad you probably want him and I hope you can figure something out.

I may use a small crate for a while and paper train if you must, Frankie will not be able to hold himself that long.

How did you get a poodle for Christmas?

·
Super Moderator
2,956 Posts
If it were me... I'd keep him in a confined area, but not one as small as a crate because there is no way, NO WAY a puppy that young would be able to hold it for 12 hours. He WILL have accidents, probably many, many accidents in that amount of time (besides the fact that 12 hours is a long time for a puppy to go without eating - you may be able to leave food out for him, but unless he's good at self-regulating what he eats, he could eat it all very quickly and then have an upset tummy/vomit)

Is there any way you could get a pet sitter to look in on him a couple of times throughout the day while you're gone and let him out for potty and feed him? That way, you could be moving forward with true potty training and make sure he's getting the correct nutrition at the correct times, etc... That would be the best scenario if you could manage it... 12 hours is quite a long time to leave a baby alone without supervision/socialization - Good luck!!

I just thought of one more thing... is there any way you could take him with you to work?? :) Many companies are starting to allow well behaved pets in the workplace. Maybe you could start a trend!!

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
welcome to the forum ^_^
You'll learn ALOT about poodles from this forum ((I know that I have :D ))

I agree with everyone else though, if you can get someone to come look in on him once or twice while your gone that would be ideal =]]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your help. I will strongly consider getting a sitter. My last resort will be to leave him gated in my office with a Potty Patch and a radio on, with his crate open. When I get home from work I plan on walking and attending a training class with him. I will figure it out...................Thanks.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I like your last idea but still think it would be good for someone to check in on him a couple of times during those 12 hours. Things can happen that you would never even imagine so it would be nice if someone just looked in on him and this would give you more peace of mind.

Congratulations on your new little one. Couldn't think of a better Christmas gift myself!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Radios do work wonders. Our fur babys don't feel so alone that way. For a pup this young I too think it would be wise to have someone check on your baby at least once or twice during the 12 hrs that you will be gone, it at all posssible.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again, I will get someone to check on Frankie during the day. I feel better now, I like this forum already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Frankie is here now and such a joy. My mother passed away on 12/15 and Frankie arrived on 12/25......he is healing me. He is such a joy, he is intelligent, he learned to go to the pee pad in just two days!! My biggest issue now if finding the right toys for him to occupy himself....I bought him Kong balls, Kong bone and a rope, but I still find him messing with wires and chewing on my bookcase. Does anyone know of a toy that may occupy most of his time? Picture forthcoming.......

1 - 12 of 12 Posts