Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have just got a new toy poo, literally first day. She's 9 weeks and gorgeous.

We have been playing with her for few hours and she seems to have adjusted quickly, however she's now been asleep for 2-3 hours straight and woke up briefly and seemed subdued. Before she went to sleep she had a small bump from the sofa to the floor. Should I be concerned?

Also any advice on training and looking after her in general is much appreciated.

I have read the books etc, and have crate, pads, everything suggested, but would love to hear from toy poodle owners.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Welcome! We love pictures. I would not be overly worried about the fall as long as she is not exhibiting any signs of pain when you apply gentle pressure to all her body parts. My own pup took a kersplat off the couch when he was little and learned that it was a bad idea. Teach her to ask you to help her off the couch instead.

About the subdued behavior, probably just sleepy. But did your breeder talk to you about hypoglycemia? Very small puppies are prone to low blood sugar and generally they are sent home at 10-12 weeks to reduce these risks. So the 9 week age warrants some additional scrutiny. Hypoglycemic attacks can be life threatening, so it is good to monitor puppies closely. Signs include loss of appetite, extreme lethargy, lack of coordination, trembling, muscle twitching, and weakness. It is advised to give a dose of sugar water or nutri-cal if you see any signs of it. Here is more info.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much @Raindrops, yes she actually mentioned it and gave me babylyte oral rehydration solution. I have not administered it yet as she was drinking the water normally. But I will check out the link you sent and follow the advice. Also thanks Ive added a pic, its been a bit crazy settling in so hadn't had chance to get one yet. Really appreciate the response, shes adorable I just want to make sure I dont make any mistakes that can be prevented.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thank you so much @Raindrops, yes she actually mentioned it and gave me babylyte oral rehydration solution. I have not administered it yet as she was drinking the water normally. But I will check out the link you sent and follow the advice. Also thanks Ive added a pic, its been a bit crazy settling in so hadn't had chance to get one yet. Really appreciate the response, shes adorable I just want to make sure I dont make any mistakes that can be prevented.
She is very cute! That's great your breeder prepped you for it. I felt the same way with my pup. But puppies are unpredictable and luckily all the minor mistakes I made had no lasting effects. Keep us updated! You will also find lots of useful puppy info in the pinned threads and if you search past posts.

·
Registered
2,618 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you and Bow!

She may also just be starting to realize that this isn't just temporary, may be missing her family and everything familiar. Hope you'll be able to keep her close at hand tonight. She's going to feel very alone and scared.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts