Poodle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a red poodle pup and saw this one. I am new to poodles and was wondering if this puppies tail is to short. Or is it just an undocked tail of a puppy? I have read some stuff about people cutting tails to short and want to make sure I am getting from a worthy breeder with proper care/cut. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Well best to wait on other replies but it looks short to me.
The AKC standard calls out for the tip of the tail, when erect, to be at the same height as the top of the dog's head. Generally speaking, 1/4 to 1/3 of the end of the tail is cut off

There are some threads on here as to how to identify a reputable breeder. Be sure the sire and dam have had genetic health testing .

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
It looks short to me too and good breeders usually take pictures of their puppies (for future owners) after a face, feet and tail groom. Not sure about this pup’s conformation either, but I’m no expert.

He doesn’t look stacked properly either, which means she probably doesn’t show her dogs. Does she do all the usual health tests ? Do agility or any sports ?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
I agree that this looks short, but not the tiny nubs that you see on some poodles. Maybe they took off 1/2 the tail. I agree that most good breeders shave the faces before doing individual pics, but this may be a younger puppy. Do you have other information on the breeder?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just from the responses I am moving on. I found the puppy on puppyfinder and was going to investigate further after posting here. I cant find any info on them as a breeder so I am moving on. I will get one from a reputable breeder found here or elsewhere. Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Just from the responses I am moving on. I found the puppy on puppyfinder and was going to investigate further after posting here. I cant find any info on them as a breeder so I am moving on. I will get one from a reputable breeder found here or elsewhere. Thanks for your replies.
Good call !

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now I am looking at one from sunset maple poodles. some folks dont like the fact that they dont show their dogs and dont have confirmation papers. I'm not even sure what that is. I am only buying a pet and as long as the dog is healthy and nice looking I am happy. I replied to an old thread about this breeder in the breeder section if anyone cares to read and or reply. also some one remarked that they walk away from a breeder charging more for full papers. this breeder is charging 2k for puppies for limited papers. Again though I dont think I care really. Its for a family pet. any reason anyone thinks I should wait for a better puppy/breeder.
Red standard poodle puppies and stud service

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Hi and Welcome!

To jump right in, if when you say "puppyfinder" you mean "puppyfind.com" https://www.puppyfind.com/
definitely stay away from that site. It may not be true that every seller on there is a broker for puppy mills, or a BYB with profit as their priority, but it's not a site a quality breeder would use. A quality breeder doesn't need to market their pups thru a commercial site like that. They may have websites, they may use Facebook, but almost never a site like that.

The reason that showing is important, whether for a family pet or a competition dog, is that the breeder is using that as a tool to prove their dogs meet the breed standard. Not every dog is show quality, they may grow a bit oversize for example, which is one of the reasons we have our pets. The same holds true for participating in obedience or agility for examples. The idea is that the breeder is not just sitting back, breeding dogs and taking payment, it's that they are investing in their dogs. Making a profit is not the goal for a quality breeder. The same goes for the health testing. The breeder is investing in not only the dog you may bring to your home. but in the breed itself.

I gave a quick look to Sunset Maple's website and it appears they've done the proper health testing on at least some of their dogs. You'd want to make sure that the parents of any puppy you get from them have documented results which the breeder makes available to you. Call that insurance that certain known genetic issues will not be something you and your pup will need to worry about. It's not a guarantee that things can't still happen, but it helps.

Very generally, 2K is within typical asking price range, and limited registration only means no breeding rights, That's also very typical. A breeder who has invested in their dogs, and the breed for the long run, want to know that their dogs won't end up being bred without the same thought and care that they've put in.

I hope you don't take my comments as criticism. My current boys are not from a quality breeder as I've described one, and so far we've been lucky. Not all of our members can say the same. As hard as it can be to wait for the right pup, you're not likely to regret the wait.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Yes, that dog's tail is docked too short.

And I wanted to say welcome to the forum :) I'm so sorry about your doodle's hip dysplasia. I'm glad you're here to get info on buying the healthiest poodle pup.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just for the record, I did find sunset maple listing dogs on puppyfind. I hate the choice. Get what I consider a nice dog now or wait for what it seems folks are saying will be a better dog. BUT if I wait I am still not guaranteed color and if not I would have to wait even longer. Possible years which would be to long or I get a different color. the whole reason I would be waiting would be for the color though. If I wanted a different color I could look elsewhere now.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
also some one remarked that they walk away from a breeder charging more for full papers. this breeder is charging 2k for puppies for limited papers. Again though I dont think I care really.
The point is that puppies should be priced the same, whether they are pets or show prospects. Show dogs get a different type of contract, usually a co-ownership. Pet puppies get limited registration, but you are their full owner.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
just for the record, I did find sunset maple listing dogs on puppyfind. I hate the choice. Get what I consider a nice dog now or wait for what it seems folks are saying will be a better dog. BUT if I wait I am still not guaranteed color and if not I would have to wait even longer. Possible years which would be to long or I get a different color. the whole reason I would be waiting would be for the color though. If I wanted a different color I could look elsewhere now.
I was a bit surprised to see that. Interestingly, a site often referred to for a breeder search

"Red Standard Poodle Breeders Index" on Poodles Online!

lists them too so that additionally confirms their health testing. Also listed is Arreau and Patriot. I believe FarleysD and NOLA were mentioned in another of your threads. That's a pretty good start for choosing a red standard. It's not an easy color to find, done well. If red is your preference (and I get that-red, silver and brown are my personal fav's, don't tell my boys lol) you have four additional great choices right there.

Make contact with the breeders to introduce yourself and let them know what you're looking for in a poodle. Your wait, if you wait, may not be as long as you think!

Reactions: Dechi
1 - 12 of 12 Posts