Poodle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I grew up with poodles, had a mini when I was really young and then 2 toys later on. I now own 2 afghan hounds that I show/lure course/agility with. Recently I just got back into poodles and now have a 5 month toy poodle puppy I am working with again. She's hopefully a future agility and obedience star. We also have plans on having her shown but I'd really like to learn to groom her myself and not sure the best way to find a mentor in my area. I self taught myself to groom the afghans.....don't see that happening with a poodle, lol.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I am a groomer and have never put my hands on an afghan hound. I would to learn the technicalities of doing it perfectly. Trade ya! I groom poodles every day.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome. :) The biggest difference I think with grooming an afghan vs a poodle is that all trimming/striping is done in a way that they still appear natural, it was daunting at first but now give me a pair of thinning shears and a striping knife and I'm good to go, LOL. My biggest fear with learning to groom Ella is mostly that with how tiny she is, she's harder to control when she doesn't like you doing something, with a larger dog like my afghans (or a standard) I can just grab their muzzle and they let me do what I want, lol. Will be a learning experience, that's for sure!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Boris "Moosehunter" ears.

I have been to vet and have meds. I also feed him Oregyn fish and chicken,no grain. What about a raw diet?

·
Registered
434 Posts
You can do it. You can do it. Welcome to the forum. There are lots of self taught groomers on this forum. Ask away, and you will find lots of good advice along with pictures. The groomers here amaze me! Everyone is so helpful.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
You definitely came to the right place and, in addition to good information FOR you, it sounds as if you will have some great knowledge to SHARE! Welcome and your toy in the avatar is beautiful!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts