Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have raised 2 toy poodles over past 14 years (still have one) and have loved both of them! But as time marches on and our remaining one gets older (14 years now) we thought time to find our next ‘baby’. We wanted to keep in the poodle line so decided to go with the larger Standard. We love to walk and thought a larger might be a bit better for long walks. We get our new pup (Oakley) at the end of June and are so anxious! Hope we did right! 😁. Any advice? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,266 Posts
Welcome. You will really love a standard - I adore standard poodles. Asta, my boy loves to play but also knows his role in helping me with my bipolar disorder. He knows his job.

·
Super Moderator
1,802 Posts
Congratulations on the impending arrival. Like many others, I recommend the Ian Dunbar puppy books. You can also download them as .pdf files from his web site.

·
Super Moderator
6,335 Posts
I second the Ian Dunbar suggestion! Even very well-behaved little dogs do tend to get away with behaviours we'd never tolerate from a spoo, so now's a good time to review your training methods and choose one that you'll stick with consistently for the first two years.

Peggy just turned a year old and growing with her has been both exhausting (lol) and extremely rewarding.

Let us know if you have any specific (spoo-cific??) questions and we'll do our best to help you out.

Here's Peggy as I'm typing this....

·
Premium Member
9,824 Posts
Always keep in mind, that Oakley is going to grow into those big feet. Train for that. Huge difference between a Toy offering an uncontrolled, exuberant greeting and a Spoo! Get a flirt pole and enjoy the supersize! Can’t wait for pictures!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts