Poodle Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Spoos bred for retrieving typically are larger, Have wide muzzles and sturdy legs. Those bred for show are selected for more "elligent" looks With thinner legs and narrow muzzles. Spoos are an ancient breed and have been used in many ways for over 2000 years.

Eric
Thank you, good to know!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thank you, good to know!
Hi NaturalPoodle, got your private message about my moyen poodle Shilo - thanks very much for your kind words! I figure I'll answer your questions openly here, in case anyone else is interested.

Shilo, who's 16.5 inches tall/20 lbs at 16 months, was bred in New Zealand by Pam Saville of Chamarre Poodles. Pam is expecting another litter later in July by Shilo's father and Shilo's niece (unrelated, on different sides of his family). Shilo's father is 15.5 inches tall and niece is 14.5 inches, so there is good likelihood of moyen-size pups from them. And yup Shilo (a boy) is an oversized mini, not a "true moyen." But you're right that his physical proportions as well as behavior all make him look and act more like a moyen/small standard than a mini - and all his siblings pretty much look and act that way too (amazingly, he's the smallest of 4 boys from his litter, with all the other boys being slightly over 17 inches).

Pam does ship overseas - which was how I got Shilo to Taiwan in the first place - so feel free to contact her directly about her current litter; you can find her and Chamarre Poodles on Facebook. If you prefer to stick to North America, Shilo's father Wyatt came from Dawn Strumbel of Horizon Poodles in Minnesota, and I believe Dawn also breeds mini's to the top end of the height limit (15 inches), so some of her pups are also likely to go oversize. Before I got Shilo, I cold-called Dawn as part of my extensive due diligence, and I found her incredibly knowledgeable and passionate.

Hope this helps? Good luck with your search! Attaching some Shilo pictures for reference.

Kevin

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What a gorgeous sweetie you have there, kchen95!

Thank you for sharing your tips and info, much appreciated!
Your New Zealand breeder sounds wonderful, but much easier to get your pup to Taiwan from there than to Ontario, Canada. I'm afraid it would be too much for the little one, not to mention me!

But I am willing to go somewhat far afield to find the right one for the future, which is why everytime I put my feelers out it's helpful. Just hearing about the MN breeder is great to know!

But if I ever move a bit closer to your side of the world, I'll be on that ;)

21 - 24 of 24 Posts