Poodle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We are on our second standard poodle and she is pretty much an alpha girl. We absolutely love her, however, she basically bites and jumps on me non-stop. We are putting her in puppy daycare. She’s 12 weeks today. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sooo Basil was a nightmare around that age too. You're not alone. It's not a forever thing either. One of the most effective tools is creating a naping environment. A cranky tired puppy running on fumes is a recipe for a demon spawn, much like a child. Puppies don't do a good job regulating their energy so you have to do it for them.

Lights off, be boring and uninteresting, close the blinds, "Alexa play calm music", pretend yawn, all toys off the ground and out of sight & smell range.

I know it's hard because puppy goes pee every 1.5-2 hours, but it makes the phase suck less.

·
Registered
Winnie 10/24/20 standard poodle
115 Posts
Welcome!!
We're at 17 weeks and that sounds so familiar. Lots of grabbing at hands and clothes and jumping up a lot. Both are getting much better but for weeks if I was on the floor she was trying to stand up on my shoulder and that's exhausting. I agree that if Winnie gets over tired she's way worse so I insist on crate time during the day for quiet and naps. It helps. We've never seen our girl's teeth like that though so for that I'm thankful. She almost looks like a different pup in her two pictures. Quiet vs TEETH. What is your pups name by the way? I hope someone has a few more great ideas for you.
Keep us updated. 😊

·
Premium Member
4,570 Posts
Ah yeah puppyhood. Asta was the same way at his age. I have a nice network of white lines on my arm from his scratching me. It does get better...

·
Super Moderator
Peggy Sue, Standard Poodle Born May 2019
8,780 Posts
Welcome to you and your girl!

First, I would let go of any idea that she’s trying to dominate you. She’s just being a mouthy poodle puppy who is still learning the rules of the human world and is interacting with you in the only way she knows how. :) I’d recommend reading this book cover-to-cover if you’ve not already:

It’s also available online for free:

I would also encourage caution when putting such a young puppy in daycare. I’d be very picky about who I let socialize my poodle at such a formative age. I’d want to ensure play sessions were being kept short, sweet, and closely supervised. I’m talking 20 minutes max, always ending on a good note and followed by a breather/nap time. Otherwise it’s too easy for bad habits to form. You don’t want a wild little adrenaline junkie. You want her learning how to play politely and being positively reinforced for settling on cue. Your efforts in this department now will go a long way to teaching her lifelong good manners.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Hi and Welcome to you all!

I'm seconding all the "she's behaving like a normal puppy" and reinforcing PTP's suggestion to let go of the "Alpha" myth. That idea was based on research from, I think, the 1930's by a researcher who was studying captive wolves, not wolves living normally in the wild. Since then, many newer studies have not only shown the error of that study but have also learned much about the self domestication of dogs, to become companions to humans.

This excerpt from

Dog Behavior and Training - Dominance, Alpha, and Pack Leadership - What Does It Really Mean?

hits some highlights:

Dominance hierarchy based training methods assume dogs are committed to a battle of supremacy and constant challenge with family members. This premise is incorrect and not supported by scientific study. Trainers advising families to take charge of the pack by eating first, walking through doors first, occupying a higher position and worst of all, pinning the dogs into submission are ignoring the current scientific research and subjecting the dog to unnecessary and sometimes cruel training methods. In reality, dogs have an intra-species relationship and a pattern of behaviors with their human family members that are driven by a variety of motivations, including: genetics, socialization, available resources, fear, conflicts, learning, behavioral pathology and disease. Furthermore, application of scientifically based principles of positive reinforcement, operant conditioning, classical conditioning, desensitization and counter-conditioning programs have been shown to successfully teach dogs desirable behaviors and prevent behavior problems while enhancing the human-pet bond.

she basically bites and jumps on me non-stop.
A couple of nuts and bolts suggestions:

For the biting, always have something at the ready to redirect with, like a chew toy. Mouth is how they communicate until they learn that humans don't, except for human babies :).

For the jumping, turn your back, be boring, walk away or out of the room, doesn't have to be for long. She will catch on that jumping takes fun away.

Reactions: CieCie

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sooo Basil was a nightmare around that age too. You're not alone. It's not a forever thing either. One of the most effective tools is creating a naping environment. A cranky tired puppy running on fumes is a recipe for a demon spawn, much like a child. Puppies don't do a good job regulating their energy so you have to do it for them.

Lights off, be boring and uninteresting, close the blinds, "Alexa play calm music", pretend yawn, all toys off the ground and out of sight & smell range.

I know it's hard because puppy goes pee every 1.5-2 hours, but it makes the phase suck less.
Thank you so much for the suggestion! It honestly never occurred to us that she may be overtired, but it makes perfect sense 😊

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome!!
We're at 17 weeks and that sounds so familiar. Lots of grabbing at hands and clothes and jumping up a lot. Both are getting much better but for weeks if I was on the floor she was trying to stand up on my shoulder and that's exhausting. I agree that if Winnie gets over tired she's way worse so I insist on crate time during the day for quiet and naps. It helps. We've never seen our girl's teeth like that though so for that I'm thankful. She almost looks like a different pup in her two pictures. Quiet vs TEETH. What is your pups name by the way? I hope someone has a few more great ideas for you.
Keep us updated. 😊
Thank you!! Her name is Beauty. We both laughed when you said you’re thankful you’ve never seen Winnie’s teeth like this lol. I love her name! Our last Standard wasn’t this persistent regarding jumping and biting. So, it’s very nice to see that this is normal puppy behavior 😊

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Welcome to you and your girl!

First, I would let go of any idea that she’s trying to dominate you. She’s just being a mouthy poodle puppy who is still learning the rules of the human world and is interacting with you in the only way she knows how. :) I’d recommend reading this book cover-to-cover if you’ve not already:

It’s also available online for free:

I would also encourage caution when putting such a young puppy in daycare. I’d be very picky about who I let socialize my poodle at such a formative age. I’d want to ensure play sessions were being kept short, sweet, and closely supervised. I’m talking 20 minutes max, always ending on a good note and followed by a breather/nap time. Otherwise it’s too easy for bad habits to form. You don’t want a wild little adrenaline junkie. You want her learning how to play politely and being positively reinforced for settling on cue. Your efforts in this department now will go a long way to teaching her lifelong good manners.
Hi! Thank you so much for your welcome and valuable information. We haven’t read that book and today is a perfect day to begin 😊. The puppy kindergarten we chose was based on reviews and two of my colleagues took their puppies there. Here is the link of the academy. https://crossbonesdog.com/puppy-day-school/. I’d love to know what you think. We have our meet and greet this Wednesday. They claim to train as you stated. We had the same concerns but we felt confident based on my colleagues recommendations 🤷🏻‍♀️ My 86 year old father lives with us and our last poodle was very well mannered prior to her sudden passing. We want to do everything we can to get Beauty off to a great start. We will take all the help we can get 😊. Thank you again for taking the time to share this information 😊.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
View attachment 473921 View attachment 473922 Hi! We are on our second standard poodle and she is pretty much an alpha girl. We absolutely love her, however, she basically bites and jumps on me non-stop. We are putting her in puppy daycare. She’s 12 weeks today. Any suggestions?
Thank you for all of your warm welcomes and appreciated information. I’m still trying to navigate this forum lol. I don’t know the etiquette of forums to be honest but I’m willing to learn. It’s awesome to be a part of a community where information can be shared on this fabulous breed :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi and Welcome to you all!

I'm seconding all the "she's behaving like a normal puppy" and reinforcing PTP's suggestion to let go of the "Alpha" myth. That idea was based on research from, I think, the 1930's by a researcher who was studying captive wolves, not wolves living normally in the wild. Since then, many newer studies have not only shown the error of that study but have also learned much about the self domestication of dogs, to become companions to humans.

This excerpt from

Dog Behavior and Training - Dominance, Alpha, and Pack Leadership - What Does It Really Mean?

hits some highlights:

Dominance hierarchy based training methods assume dogs are committed to a battle of supremacy and constant challenge with family members. This premise is incorrect and not supported by scientific study. Trainers advising families to take charge of the pack by eating first, walking through doors first, occupying a higher position and worst of all, pinning the dogs into submission are ignoring the current scientific research and subjecting the dog to unnecessary and sometimes cruel training methods. In reality, dogs have an intra-species relationship and a pattern of behaviors with their human family members that are driven by a variety of motivations, including: genetics, socialization, available resources, fear, conflicts, learning, behavioral pathology and disease. Furthermore, application of scientifically based principles of positive reinforcement, operant conditioning, classical conditioning, desensitization and counter-conditioning programs have been shown to successfully teach dogs desirable behaviors and prevent behavior problems while enhancing the human-pet bond.

A couple of nuts and bolts suggestions:

For the biting, always have something at the ready to redirect with, like a chew toy. Mouth is how they communicate until they learn that humans don't, except for human babies :).

For the jumping, turn your back, be boring, walk away or out of the room, doesn't have to be for long. She will catch on that jumping takes fun away.
Thank you so much for clarifying dominance for me. This makes perfect sense. I will research this more 😊. We definitely try to redirect Beauty but she’s very persistent. This is why I reached out for any other suggestions. We will be vigilant and now know that this shall pass 🙏🏻🐩

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Hi! Thank you so much for your welcome and valuable information. We haven’t read that book and today is a perfect day to begin 😊. The puppy kindergarten we chose was based on reviews and two of my colleagues took their puppies there. Here is the link of the academy. https://crossbonesdog.com/puppy-day-school/. I’d love to know what you think. We have our meet and greet this Wednesday. They claim to train as you stated. We had the same concerns but we felt confident based on my colleagues recommendations 🤷🏻‍♀️ My 86 year old father lives with us and our last poodle was very well mannered prior to her sudden passing. We want to do everything we can to get Beauty off to a great start. We will take all the help we can get 😊. Thank you again for taking the time to share this information 😊.
I don’t see anything about training certifications on that site, or even what approach they take to training, but there’s a lot of info there. Maybe I missed it?

My personal preference would be to attend all training classes with my puppy. In my experience, it’s mostly about training the humans. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t see anything about training certifications on that site, or even what approach they take to training, but there’s a lot of info there. Maybe I missed it?

My personal preference would be to attend all training classes with my puppy. In my experience, it’s mostly about training the humans. :)
I totally agree that classes are designed to teach the humans how to train their dogs while providing the dogs socialization. There is a lot of information on that site. There is a section that describes the training method (positive) and how the day is divided up into small training sessions/naps/lunch/play. The ratio is 1 trainer to 10 dogs. Also, we are able to join unlimited classes in addition with our puppy. I’m sure Wednesday I’ll have much more info at the meet and greet. They also offer CGC and other certifications. We will see 😊😊. We definitely need help with our beautiful little girl 🐩. The photo is just a quick summary and then they go into each section. It’s definitely worth the try :) If you’re interested I’ll update after the classes start 😊

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Assuming the trainers are certified, classes sounds great! Our trainer is KPA-CTP and has been an invaluable resource with our demanding girl. So grateful for her and can totally relate to needing a little help. :)

Good luck on Wednesday! Do keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
The puppy kindergarten we chose was based on reviews and two of my colleagues took their puppies there. Here is the link of the academy. https://crossbonesdog.com/puppy-day-school/. I’d love to know what you think. We have our meet and greet this Wednesday. They claim to train as you stated. We had the same concerns but we felt confident based on my colleagues recommendations

I agree with PTP about wanting to be personally involved in all aspects of training of my puppy. Training is one of the best places to build a bond, to build trust, and to build communication between you all. I'm happy to take instruction from qualified, certified trainers but I feel that I must be integral to the process.

I'm attaching a link to the Pandemic Puppy Primer which has a training section. There you'll see the certifications that qualified trainers should have as well as some additional links.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Welcome! Soo cute. I noticed she was growling and barring her teeth when you were holding her. Olive sometimes does that too when I hold her like that. Try finding out what she does not like and avoid it, hopefully the biting and aggression will get better.

·
Super Moderator
8,780 Posts
Learning to be restrained is an important part of being a puppy. But it must be done the right way or else it can backfire terribly. Ian Dunbar explains the process in detail in that book and PDF I linked above.

I’ve seen excerpts elsewhere online, but they don’t include the very helpful photos.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts