Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new on this forum and am completely new to poodles. I was looking for information on Miniature Poodles. I wanted a Standard but read so much about bloat that now I've decided a Miniature would probably be the better bet just to avoid bloat. My aunt and uncle own Miniature and Toy Poodles and just love the breed, won't own anything else.

Anyway, any information as to personality, size, socialization, health, etc. would be really helpful.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welcome to the forum Rilesky. Can't help with any info on mini's, but I am sure you will find a lot of good information here! Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Rilesky!
I have a brown mini, who is 16 months old :)

He's the perfect size for our family, I measured him the other day but can't remember what he was...his shoulder is just below my knee, and I'm 171cm tall. We weren't after a toy dog, and with our size section the mini has plenty of room for tearing around and games, where as the standard might feel a little more 'housebound' at our place.

So far the only health issues we've had have been an umbilical hernia and a toenail coming off, both easily sorted by the vet and not limited to poodles as far as I am aware, but in saying that, he's insured for my peace of mind.

Personality - he's a doll, but it differs in dogs as much as humans. He's boysterious and full on, he'll run the toddlers ragged before the toddlers tire him, perfect! We weren't as careful as maybe we should have been choosing the personality, but we've harnessed his energy with some fun and games at home, the start of agility training etc and his formal classes start soon. He's very much a valcro dog, and I do believe that IS acutally a poodle thing. I sit down, he sits on my foot. He follows me into the same room where ever I go. Occasionally I loose him around lunchtime, he's just having a really deep snooze on my bed. Of course I'm a stay at home mum, so he's used to having me around.

We socalised him from young and his closest playmate is a boxer. He loves a good runaround with him, and stays with him if we are away. He's not so favourite playmate is a toy. He's a teenage pup essentially, and the toy poodle is a geriatric old man, so it's not entirely his fault lol.

Best of Luck!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Minis are the performance variety of choice in our breed. They are super athletic and mentally as sharp as a tack. It is important to keep their minds and bodies occupied. They make wonderful family dogs because they are small enough to fit nicely in the tent and robust enough to race you to the top of the mountain.

Most prevalent health issues include: genetic cataracts, epilepsy, Legg-Calves Perth, luxating patellas, immune issues such as Thrombocytopenea.

Some Minis can be overly reactive and shy. This is a personality flaw that can lead to excessive barking and sharp-shy aggression. Minis have a well developed sense of their own worth, so it is important that an owner provide solid leadership so that the Mini does not take over the running of the household.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts