Poodle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any suggestions for names for my new baby girl, she is dark brown. Also suggestions for food, when I had other dogs I always used Canidae, but have heard alot of bad things about them recently, so just wandering what dry food is good. Also I used to have shih tzus so I am pretty decent with the clippers, so I have considered clipping my standard on my own, any suggestions for what type of clippers work best for a poodle, as their hair is alot different from the shih tzus I am used to. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
For some reason Standard Poodles usually have people names. For obedience purposes, a two syllable name is best. My instructor is always dumfounded that I name my girls things like Sabrina or Delilah. On a side not.... the agility and herding folks seem to like 1 syllable names like Flash, Kip, or Fly.

With a brown, avoid the temptation to go with chocolate or coffee names. There are about a gazillion Javas, Cocos and Hersheys. Sometimes it is fun to play off of the call or registered names of the dam and sire.

With names, I think you need to try some on for size and see what sticks. I like the following:
Chloe
Willow
Hazel

I think the best clippers for the money are Andis 2 speed.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I have been looking at the Andis easy clip, it comes with 3 different blades and 4 length attachments and is very inexpensive, I have looked at many reviews and for me only having the one I think I like it. Has anyone had any experience with it? I dont mind spending more, this just seemed to be a good deal.

Thanks for the name suggestions I had actually thought about Willow before, and yes to many Chocolate names, lol. I want her to have a unique name, cause all dogs are unique! and thanks

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Thanks I have been looking at the Andis easy clip, it comes with 3 different blades and 4 length attachments and is very inexpensive, I have looked at many reviews and for me only having the one I think I like it. Has anyone had any experience with it? I dont mind spending more, this just seemed to be a good deal.
I've never had luck with the clip on attachments. They don't seem to be able to get through poodle coat. I just have different blades: #4, #10, #15, #40

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The chocolate/coffee names are so tempting, but cbrand is right, everyone does it.

Some of the more unique chocolate/coffee names I've heard, though:

Godiva
Dove
Cadbury

Kona

I am a fan of getting to know the dog a bit first before settling on a name.

Good luck!
:)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
The chocolate/coffee names are so tempting, but cbrand is right, everyone does it.

Some of the more unique chocolate/coffee names I've heard, though:

Godiva
Dove
Cadbury
I would take Cadbury off the table because it is a name of a very well known Poodle kennel. It is sort of the equivalent of calling your horse Man O'War.

Godiva is nice but it is that dreaded 3 syllable name. Just for kicks, try saying:

Godiva come!
Willow come!

See the benefit of a 2 syllable name? :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The Godiva I know goes by her nickname, Diva. :)

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Before getting a dog, I usually pick out three favorites and then spend a week or so trying them out. In one case, The Fiance and I immediately knew our puppy's name. It just was HIM all over!

We were calling Perry, "Poodle", for the longest time because we were still looking for his family. My mom had poodles growing up and suggested we just call him her male poodle's name. I said it out loud, and he immediately perked up and got all crazy like, "You know my name?! YAY! You know my name!" So it's been Perry ever since!

As for food, it's really personal preference. My mom used to feed Canidae, then switched to Innova, and now feeds Innova Evo. She is a picky woman. They're all good grade foods, so it really depends on what your pup likes.

At my house, we feed Blue Buffalo to three, and BilJac to Perry. Perry is also an INCREDIBLY picky eater, thankfully he loves BilJac! (When we first found him, he would only eat soft food, I bought 4 small containers and said that it was all I was buying, and he either needed to be back with his family, have found a new one, or eat hard food by the time they were gone! He left and came back, happily eating hard food, lol)

Man, I am long winded!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well got pics sent to my phone today of her, going to visit on Saturday!! But she has gorgeous green eyes, so her name is going to be Jayda, it means precious green stone!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oh I love that name. In the book, The Art of Raising a Puppy, it is recommended to use a 2 syllable name that ends in a long E sound, or a soft A sound, like you have. I'm not sure what the meaning was behind it as it's been a while since I've read the book, but that part stuck out as I'm always thinking of what to name my future fur baby. :) Can't wait to see pictures of little Jayda

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Great name!

I bet you can't wait!

I always wanted a green-eyed cat so I could call her Esmeralda the Green-Eyed Gypsy Girl. ;)

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I usually wait a while before naming the dog and the right name just comes up - except for Gingerbread (ginger for short) I named her before I found her - wanted a red poodle lol and loved that name. After everyone said her name should be Gingersnap lol - but she is a good girl now!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have met her a few times and she has such a sweet fiesty personality, the breeder has been really good at sending text pics and recordings of her barking and growling, lol. She is very fiesty, which I love I am too!! So we were looking for a name that kinda fit her personality, but then my husband was looking on the computer and he said Jayda, and I was like that's it, then he told me it meant green stone and I was sold, lol. But yeah I was hoping to just get a few ideas and then wait till she got her to really decide, but the name Jayda suits. 3 weeks to go "sigh"

·
Registered
156 Posts
I like the name Jayda I also like the name Abby. I can't wait to see a picture of your new baby I didn't know there were poodles with green eyes.

Kathy

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
me either, but her mom has them too. I always thought browns were supposed to have amber eyes, which I think is almost a yellowish orange color, but there eyes look more green very pretty. my daughters name is Gabrianna we call her Gabby!

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Well got pics sent to my phone today of her, going to visit on Saturday!! But she has gorgeous green eyes, so her name is going to be Jayda, it means precious green stone!
Sounds perfect!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts