Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm an owner of a Male Standard White Poodle, named Dexter. He is 6mths old. We have a male Cockapoo as well. He is 2.
I found this site when googling "Does a poodle's topknot grow back after a bad grooming?" That's right, my poodle has no topknot right now. He has been shaved all over. Once I figure out how to post a pic, I will. I just hope it grows back?
I look forward to learning a lot about the poodle breed, and sharing my stories about my boy.

:)

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. :wave:

Don't worry, his topknot will grow back, as poodle has hair just like we do.
To post pictures, when you are typing your message, click on go advanced. From there, scroll down and click on manage attachments, then click on choose a file and then upload. Can't wait to see pictures. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh! PHEW!!!:)!!!

I read somewhere that it might not! I was freaking out!! His ears and tail are still longer, he is just shaved everywhere else with a no.7.

Until I am able to post a new thread in the general topics section,

1. What food do you fee your standard poodle? How often do you feed?
2. What shampoo does everyone like to use? Conditioner?
3. What does spoo mean? is that standard poodle?
4. How much does/did your Stan.poodle weigh at 6mths(male)?

Thanks for the welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
:welcome:

I feed Buffalo Blue my spoo's love it,they eat about 2 cups a day I mix a little wet food in at night, I have clean bowls in no time at all. My adults eat the same amount as they puppies.

I have two brown puppies they are 6 1/2 month now the male weights 59 lbs and the female is about 50.

The topknot will be back in no time at all,looking forward to seeing pictures :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts

1. What food do you fee your standard poodle? How often do you feed? My dogs are on a RAW diet two times a day. When they ate kibble they ate Blue Buffolo and Taste Of The Wild twice daily.

2. What shampoo does everyone like to use? Conditioner? It varies, I use pet store brand oatmeal shampoo and conditioners at times- and then I do have some products from Coat Handler - I like the leave in or rinse out conditioner and it smells so good.

3. What does spoo mean? is that standard poodle? Standard Poodle.

4. How much does/did your Stan.poodle weigh at 6mths(male)? I am guessing I am not at home to look but I think around 25-30 lbs
Would love to see pics! My answers are in red.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
Oooh, I love so much that your dogs name is Dexter, and you're from Florida! I'm so addicted to that show.. I don't know if there's a connection! But welcome to the forum! Yes, your dogs hair will grow back!

·
Registered
145 Posts

I read somewhere that it might not! I was freaking out!! His ears and tail are still longer, he is just shaved everywhere else with a no.7.

Welcome!

You should be able to post new threads now=)

As far as feeding goes-there is a lot of information out there about Raw feeding and Grain Free diets. These particular diets have been linked to helping prevent things like Bloat in Standards as well as all the other benefits of eating a great diet including mother nature's way of teeth cleaning if you feed things with bones (drumsticks-raw of course etc) If you go a friend of mine's website she has whole list of foods that are grain free and suggested feeding for you Spoo (standard poodle)
desertreefpoodles.com

I use many different shampoos etc but I do like the Pure Paws line a lot. It really depends on your dogs skin/coat condition and lifestyle that will determine which products you should use.

All poods vary in bone structure/size and so if you are asking to guage if your's is too big/small then you should not go off of anyone's answers here. Your best judge is if you can feel enough meat on his ribs to where he doesn't feel too skiny nor too fat. Puppies tend to have a bit of that baby fat and its a good thing as long as they don't appear overweight (can't feel ribs at all is a good sign). I have heard of there being possible problems with hips/growth development if they are too thick. If your puppy is very thin and not eating well then you should be concerned. Another option is to get your vets opinion and they will tell you if the weight is where it should be.

Also, make sure that when your dogs hair does start growing back that you get him used to regular brushing/combing. A lot of poodle owners neglect this aspect and since poodle hair mats easily the longer it gets...it many have to be shaved down short either because the matting is too bad to get out, or the dog would not cooperate with the combing and tugging on hair. So, best thing to do is learn how to keep up the coat so when you do go to the groomers you can tell them exactly what you want and they can send em home with a gorgeous cut=)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pics of Dexter

Here are some older pics of Dexter and Jack(cockapoo). I will take recent ones and post later.

Thanks for all the info!!

Attachments

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not sure if this is unusual but my spoo was 60 pounds at 6 months. He is now 11 months and I think he still weights the same. He grew so fast!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am going to have him reweighed. He was ill the first week I had him home, k9 influenza. He eats like a horse, and has gained weight fast in the past 3mths. Tues he goes in for his neuter. I don't plan to show him or breed him. I just have him to love<3

·
Registered
43 Posts
He is so cute! Please post progress pics, as I'm sure his topknot will grow back. How unfortunate!! My groomer likes to take Mia's topknot down also though not to that extent. Did you say anything to your groomer about her faux paus?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts

1)right now my 6 mo old female spoo eats ultra balance naturals 2x a day .. she's offered 2 cups each feeding
2)i use biogroom on her hair for shampoo & conditioner
3)spoo = standard poodle
4) my 6 mo old female weighs about 43-44 pounds right now. Last week she was 42.5

1 - 15 of 15 Posts