Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all. Just found this forum, and it looks like a great source of info.

I have a 9 m.o. min poodle, who is the most fantastic little guy. I always had Goldens, and thought they were 'my' breed, then encountered difficulties when I lost my last Golden to a splenic tumour and then met my partner, who is allergic to anything with four legs.

After quite a few dogless years, and much investigation of hypoallergenic breeds, we have a poodle, and I'm totally in love with the breed. Bright, quick, confident, and the happiest dog I've ever met. He (Vasco) is a complete joy. We got him at 12 weeks, and he was reliably housebroken at 14. Scary smart dogs.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Welcome. He sounds wonderful.

Remember.... Winston Churchill had Mini Poodles. I think that says it all. :)

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
I have a 9 m.o. min poodle, who is the most fantastic little guy. I always had Goldens, and thought they were 'my' breed, then encountered difficulties when I lost my last Golden to a splenic tumour and then met my partner, who is allergic to anything with four legs.
Hello and welcome! Your story sounds much like mine. I had a wonderful Golden who I just adored, but he died at 8 from cancer. Just devestating. My husband is also quite allergic to animals and a poodle was the right choice for us... we now have a black mini and we just love him to pieces.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all!

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm still learning about poodles, so will be hoovering up opinions from this site, I'm sure.

He's a cracking little guy, we are having a great time. We live in Dorking, so it is steps from our door to loads of footpaths and walks, and he's a great reason to get out and walk a lot. He's been a breeze to train; his recall is at a dead run, which is hysterical to watch, with his ears flapping like mad. I did try very hard to find a rescue, contacted all the poodle rescue groups I could find, but no one has any in rescue. I suppose that's good, but I got an earful from one rescue coordinator, who told me poodles were in high demand to breed the various and sundry 'doodles' that are all the rage at the moment. I do get a bit offended when we are out walking and someone asks me what flavour of 'doodle' he is.

One issue I'm interested in advice on, if anyone has any .... he is dreadful at picking up all manner of garbage when we're out. For a dog that is moderately picky about his food, he'll swallow the the most amazing crap if he finds it out in the park! We work on it, and I always carry treats to do a 'swap', but it's the one area he is not reliable. Justifiably, because he knows I'll take whatever it is away from him. Training tips for this one? We've done a session on a light tracking line, where I've planted stuff in the park and then asked him to leave it and swapped for something yummier. Some success, but not total.

(He had a great time in the snow this winter, hunting elusive snow mice.)

Attachments

·
Registered
289 Posts
He sounds like a lot of fun! I have a five month old Spoo who loves to pick up crap around the yard (construction workers re-siding the house leave all sorts of stuff daily :[ ) I would just keep working with him on the "leave it" command. Repetition and time pay off. Make sure he doesn't think he's being rewarded when you swap with a treat for the garbage he's picking up. Maybe he thinks he's a good boy picking up the garbage and then getting a treat for it? Just a thought. And welcome to the forum, I've learned so much from everybody here!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
So is he off leash when he is picking this stuff up? Because if he is on leash, I would think that you could head him off at the pass so to speak and not let him pick it up.

Also, trading is a nice strategy, but I don't think that as an owner you should always have to bribe your Poodle to get him to give something up or leave something alone.

If while you are walking, he spots something and starts after it, you can say "Leave it!". If he moves off and ignores it PRAISE PRAISE TREAT. If he does not, then give him a collar POP and then when he leaves off PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE! I think dogs need to know that there is a reward for correct behavior and a consequence for misbehavior.

If he does get ahold of something what happens if you just dig it out of his mouth and tell him NO!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts