Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am a new member but I’ve been lurking on the site for months. Thank you to everyone who has shared their stories and experiences - I have learned a great deal from you all.
My question is for anyone with experience and/or knowledge introducing a Spoo puppy into a household with two small dogs. My husband and I are childfree with two chihuahuas (3 & 8). My 3 year old is a total party girl. She’s bossy, courageous and can nip sometimes while my 8 year old male is extremely laid back. We are really looking forward to picking up our new male puppy but are slightly worried about the introduction period.
Does anyone have any tips? Should I be concerned about my new Spoo biting my little guys too hard or will the strength of its bite be instinctual? I work from home and will be monitoring all play sessions.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
6,926 Posts
Congratulations on your new puppy !

I don’t know how big your chihuahuas are, but you definitely need to be concerned about your poodle puppy stepping on them and hurting them very bad. Biting is not the problem here. Rough playing is. Poodles also like to paw a lot. My toy poodle pawed my chihuahua in the eye and scratched her cornea. She had to be treated for 2-3 weeks and could have lost an eye. My chihuahua was 4 pounds and my toy poodle 6 pounds so size was not a problem but even then, an accident happened.

Until your puppy settles down (which will take at least 1 year, but more realistically 2 or even 3), I would never leave him with the chihuahuas unattended. Chihuahuas are fragile and can break bones easily.

·
Super Moderator
5,266 Posts
Welcome!

I agree wholeheartedly with Dechi. We couldn't let puppy Peggy spend time offleash with my parents' little ones because of that poodle paw smack. For the first 48 hours or so she was fine because she was a little wary of them, but as her confidence quickly bloomed, look out!

If you've not yet purchased an indoor exercise pen, I highly recommend it. We kept Peggy tethered or confined so the little ones knew they could always get away. If yours like to go vertical (lounge on couch backs, that sort of thing) that's an escape option, as well.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I’ve had tiny dogs and my mom had labs and larger breeds. Typically? The first intros included Gia hiding on backs of couch’s, then they tried play. At first zoey (lab) got excited and scared her. Then as time progressed they learned how to play and love in their own way. My best suggestion is make a “tiny room”. We put baby gates up, so Gia could get in but zoey, the large dog couldn’t. That way they feel they have a safe space. Gia could fit through baby gate bars but you could take the the wood ones and cut them to the size for the chi’s to fit through. The room helped a lot at fist. Gia would run and hide in it and then zoey was blocked. After awhile zoey learned her boundaries and they figured out their own weird way to play and love.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have almost always had one chihuahua amidst a group of larger dogs. Most of the time the chihuahua ruled the roost. Zoe tries to engage Molly the chihuahua, but Molly will have none of it - Molly is at least 8 years old and Zoe is 3 (going on six months!). I have never had to protect a chihuahua, they have amazing self confidence.

·
Registered
390 Posts
We have Boo Boo (the golden chi) & Tinkerbell (black & white chi). Boo is around 6 pounds, Tink is maybe 4 1/2 pounds. They are solid due to being raw fed. For us there has to be rules for the sake of the safety of the tiny dogs. We have a 80+ pound Giant Schnauzer, a 65 pound Rough coated Collie, & Mr. Layne the Spoo is over 70 pounds. Rules have to be in place. If we drop a morsel of food on the floor there is NOT a mad scramble. The little dogs own it. If they don't want it then the big dogs get to calmly get it. The big dogs are not allowed on the bed or couch so we dont have little ones getting flopped on.

For our Standard Poodle is a year old now & very good but we still have to watch when he gets flouncy or rowdy. If he gets rowdy he goes outside so he throttles back pretty easy. He wants to be with us.

Tink, as you can see loves him. Boo is indifferent. My Giant & him can play bug its rough & I've trained her to understand that I turn them loose to play & I call it when its game over. He's about 75% due to his puppiness. They look scary but there is no true aggression unless he tries to get rowdy with me. The tiny dogs cant handle rough Spoo play.

When younger he spent a lot of time on leash learning what was okay, & what is not. So long as if there's any excitement we get the little dogs in the safe zone, all is well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts