Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I prepare for my new Spoo friend!
(Can’t wait until I drive down to NOLA next weekend! Ahhhhhhhhhh!! )

I’ve been trying to round up and pre order some supplies and things he may like. Any suggestions or links to Must haves or things your pup love would be super helpful!

So far Chewy has been my friend & ive ordered his crate from there. I’m looking for a nifty collar, I’m also looking into these yak treats

I’ve been suggested Pro plan for food but wonder if there’s something better. (I’ve had past good experience with Orjin & Blue but this dog food debate is dizzying!)

Anywho... suggestions appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
Is your new spoo a big grown-up boy or a tiny tooth-monster?

My dogs always eat Purina and have all lived into old age. Purina makes its own products in its own factories, knows where its components are sourced from, and performs animal nutrition studies. This is not true of the boutique brands.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Jbean Whoops That’s important info! He is a Standard that is just turning 8 months old.

True! Id been scared of of Purinas products years ago (I forget why ). But I know a lot of folks do feed Purina-breeders included. I will definitely look into it Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Probably a good pair of stainless steel bowls (Just for how safe and easy they are to keep clean) and a measuring scale to help you measure out your pups food would definitely be a good idea.

Also toys, I know it's kind of obvious but have toys at the ready... even if they might not play with them right away.
Zael is 9 months old so just one month older than your pup and he goes nuts for stuffed animals with squeakers inside them. His faves include a soft pheasant, elephant, duck, and fox.
Ever dog is an individual though so I'm sure your breeder will probably send you away with a type of dog toy your pup is particularly fond of to help him settle in better.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I second Purina. After feeding my dogs Taste of the Wild for years, I switched to Purina and they love it.

These are really good (but expensive)bowls:
https://www.basispet.com/

I recommend dog beds from Orvis. I bought a $60-70 bed from a small pet store not long after I got Miracle, and it lasted 6 months. The Orvis beds are pricey but hold up. They usually have really good sales and free shipping around the holidays.

Love the Charming Pets toys. They now sell them at Chewy: https://www.chewy.com/charming-pet-squeakin-squiggles-dog/dp/200381?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Charming Pet&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoLf4tLqw5AIV-f_jBx07TQb0EAQYAiABEgLuJ_D_BwE

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I also feed Purina with great results and Poppy is crazy about it. The one I feed is Pro Plan Sport because it is for working and very active dogs. Poppy is crazy active. My breeder, Betty Brown of Donnchada Poodles also feeds Pro Plan sport to all of her dogs. I also like that it is an all life stages food and Chewy delivers it roght to jy door. Very economical to feed as well.

Congratulations on your new spoo to be!?

·
Super Moderator
3,341 Posts
The Royal Canine Puppy brand won hands down with mine. I also alternate with Halo (Game Bird Medley), the regular for adult dogs. And for dinner, they eat what I eat, which is affordable b/c they're toys.

As important as food is keeping a First Aide Kit for dogs, here's a list from this link.

Remove insecticides, anti-freeze, vermin traps/poison, human medications, and to thoroughly vacuum and sweep in case there are small nails or pieces of metal hidden deep in the carpet or under sofa cushions. Also clean area after any repairman leaves, b/c a simple staple, nail, piece of wire or bolt could end up inside your dog. This happened to me when Bella was a puppy and got hold of a round, nearly dime-sized piece of round wire from the guy replacing my garbage disposal. I couldn't figure out why she acted so sick like she was horribly constipated; I gave her an enema and several hours later she pooped, and I checked it for worms, but no! It was a darned piece of wire that could have killed her.

Try to move wiring from electrical devices best as possible so dog can't chew it. There's at least one thread on PF I bookmarked long ago about protection, here. They recommended tabasco sauce on wires; on Amazon there are other products too, just search Bitter Apple Spray under pets, or Dog Bitter Lemon Spray or Hot Spot Spray.

More expensive are pet cord protectors. If your dog is not interested in cords and the spray works fine, you probably don't need this. Places like Home Depot may have cheaper substitutes. Here's a link to several on Amazon.

·
Premium Member
9,694 Posts
Gotta have a flirt pole. I love Buck’s Basis bowls, made in the USA that I bought on a PF member’s recommendation. (Was it you Dogs4?) I use the cheapie stainless ones for water outside. Gas-X for the first aid kit and a good quality 6 foot leather leash. So excited for you!!!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I second Purina. After feeding my dogs Taste of the Wild for years, I switched to Purina and they love it.

I recommend dog beds from Orvis. I bought a $60-70 bed from a small pet store not long after I got Miracle, and it lasted 6 months. The Orvis beds are pricey but hold up. They usually have really good sales and free shipping around the holidays.

Love the Charming Pets toys. They now sell them at Chewy: https://www.chewy.com/charming-pet-squeakin-squiggles-dog/dp/200381?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Charming Pet&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIoLf4tLqw5AIV-f_jBx07TQb0EAQYAiABEgLuJ_D_BwE
Thanks for this, I've been looking for some good quality stainless steel bowls, these look like they will do the trick!

·
Registered
3,259 Posts

Thank you so, so much for the info on Basis! I have hoped to find a US-made stainless bowl. I'm using porcelain, but have a China-made pail style that I clip to Ol's crate as backup water. But the stainless has never lost a sort of greasy feeling on the inside, no matter how I wash it. And Oliver won't touch water in most stainless-I know he is detecting problems.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Must haves for spoos IMHO:

-crate
-crate pad
-cover for crate (e.g., sheet)
-pillow for crate (once past puppy stage)
-bully sticks or cow ears
-collar
-6' leash
-Easy Walk harness
-stainless steel bowls
-food (Pro Plan is a fine line of foods)
-Kong
-other durable, SAFE toys that are used under supervision
-training classes at least to CGC level
-clicker
-treats (PureVita raw/no thaw bite size treats are the best)
-car crate or car harness
-paper towels
-poop bags
-Nature's Miracle clean-up spray (even if housebroken, accidents happen! especially vomit with a spoo!)
-brushes
-comb
-shampoo
-towels
-nail clippers or dremel (I strongly prefer dremel)
-ear wash
-cosmetic pads
-curved baby scissors
-ear powder/hemostat (only if needed for your particular dog)
-clippers
-toothbrush
-toothpaste
-heartworm and/or flea medication (only if needed in your geographic region)

These are the things that come to mind, but I'm sure I'm leaving some out! Hope it helps :D

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are you going to groom him yourself? Or are you going to use a groomer? I got my first Standard Poodle in June & most of the things I discovered I really needed are grooming related.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Are you going to groom him yourself? Or are you going to use a groomer? I got my first Standard Poodle in June & most of the things I discovered I really needed are grooming related.

I’ve set up his groomer though I’ll probably do most of his grooming. I still have my groomers kit from my last Spoo

·
Registered
370 Posts
I’ve set up his groomer though I’ll probably do most of his grooming. I still have my groomers kit from my last Spoo

You're miles ahead of me. Mr. Layne was my first Standard Poodle. I have a Giant Schnauzer. I figured I had enough stuff to get me started... well I was wrong. I have since added a booster bath, a dryer, more blades, some new brushes. That meant a new box to hold all this stuff with organizer bins to keep it all straight. I look like a grooming salon. LOL

Mr. Layne, my SPOO is a bit of gator when it comes to leashes. So I went to a feed supply store & bought 2 types of lead from the hunting dog section. Both are made of a type of rope that I used to use to train horses. Brass snaps. One is 6 ft, the other is 15 or 20 ft. So I can train with him but I can also do some proofing & still have a safety line :) I don't know if they're all that way but Mr. Layne has a little mischievous streak from time to time. So I don't have to really worry about my expensive leather leads until he's older & understands leashes are not for teeth.

I tried to get him a spaniel bowl but apparently they are not as easy to find as they used to be. I'm still searching. I'm looking for something with high sides but deep food bowl to keep his adorable floppy ears out of it.

Speaking of ears... you've had a SPOO so you probably already know but ear stuff. Mine needed not only cleaner but drying lotion. I don't have to use the lotion much any more but I like to have it on hand. I don't like cotton balls for cleaning, I get the little square makeup pads.

I also got him his very own bottle of probiotics (to help with the transition to new home, food, & water changes) & I started him on colostrum (2 capsules in the morning 30 minutes before breakfast. It helps with their immune system & gets the intestines in shape for the food they're going to receive. I'm not much help with kibble. Mine are all raw fed. I always figure this is one thing I can do for a new puppy who is moving from his siblings & everything familiar to a whole new world full of different smells, tastes, water, etc... The probiotics Mr. Layne eats with his food & the colostrum they eat like they think they're treats.

My dogs eat raw diet so I'm not much help on kibble.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I highly recommend the primo crate pad with tie downs. Its vinyl, so easy to keep clean. After our boxer had gone thru many many beds this was recommended to me. I just hate them to lie on that hard plastic tray so this gives it some padding. Ours has gone thru both the boxer and the poodle and is as good as new at 5 years old.

https://www.primopads.com/product/primo-pad-2/

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@Dog savvy @MaizieFrosty @Vita thanks a ton for your pointers and extensive lists! Thanks to everyone who I didn’t @ also... tons of great suggestions.

I bought some stuff on sale online and am feeling like I made a nice dent in things You all will be happy to know I also ordered some Proplan Sport too.

I also saw a gorgeous black Spoo boy out yesterday at my local brewery on the patio and nearly lost it. Haha to say I’m excited about having my own is an understatement!

I’m still on the hunt for a solid hiking or tactic vest/harness with compartments for our hikes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mufar42, can you imagine her great good fortune? From Tabatha of NOLA - he's a Brees puppy!! This little one is related to Arreau's Pearl (cousin?), and a grandson of Lombardi! A dream Spoo if ever there was one :amen::amen::amen: :).

Yes!! The poodle odds are ever in my favor!

My boy’s Sire is Brees & his mom is Vie Vie (Pearls sister). Countdown until I meet my Jazzy nawlins Spoo!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts