1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
28C53C7B-A217-4FD1-91E2-EC06B6FB8AEC.jpeg
Hi—

Apologies in advance for any typos/misspellings; I broke my right wrist (of course it’s my dominant hand!) so I’m pecking this out on my iPad with my untrained left hand (The only thing it does with treats is lift them to my mouth, haven’t figured out what motivates it yet).

I brought home my now 5 month old spoo, Felix, at 8 weeks old, and it’s been quite an adventure!
My previous dogs were small fluffy types (3 cocker spaniels, a Lhasa Apso from the Humane Society, and a mini schnauzer mix “inherited” from a close friend when she died). They did not prepare me for the force of nature that is Mr. Felix!

It’s true, poodles are in a class by themselves. Felix is extremely food motivated and incredibly smart, high energy and a complete goofball, sweet and cuddly, loves both people and other dogs (the breeder did a great job socializing the litter). What I wasn’t prepared for was a puppy who would quadruple his size and weight in just 3 months, along with counter surfing, a really deep, scary-sounding bark that just can’t get enough use! He‘s a quick learner but needs a lot of mental stimulation.

The broken arm has created a new challenge—no hand for giving treats! So it’s praise for rewards, and that’s been surprisingly effective! We’re going for short walks with the goal of learning to keep the leash relaxed, spending time ball chasing to tire him out.

Well, I joined Poodle Forum because I found it to be a goldmine of knowledge regarding all things Poodle, plus I really like the warm support and positive tone here.

Sorry if I messed up attaching my pics!

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
What a cutie you have! Sometimes being really smart is quite a challenge, especially when they are full of puppy energy. Hope your wrist heals quickly.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What a cutie you have! Sometimes being really smart is quite a challenge, especially when they are full of puppy energy. Hope your wrist heals quickly.
Thanks! Had surgery last week, hoping the splint will go away at my follow up next week.

·
Premium Member
4,272 Posts
What a lovely pup - sounds just like the perfect poodle for you. So sorry about your rest and wish you the best for the surgery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts