Poodle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, we are a family with a new Standard, 11 weeks old. He is a sweetheart, very friendly and affectionate, and smart.
I have enjoyed looking at everyone's messages and pics, what a nice group you are! I look forward to nice interchanges. Thanks a lot :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you!
I have a question, what do I do to encourage my puppy to accept brushing? He really does not like it!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Thank you!
I have a question, what do I do to encourage my puppy to accept brushing? He really does not like it!
Just persistance. Hold him on your lap and talk nice to him. If he gets miserable about it, let him down and cool off, then start again. Eventually he will figure out that is not a bad experience.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Put him on a table. This gives you more control over him. Ideally you would put him on a grooming table. I think every Poodle owner should invest in one.

If you don't have one, you can groom him on the kitchen table or counter for the time being. I like to use one of those non-skid mats that go under throw rugs. You can get one at Target. They provide secure a secure surface so that your puppy can learn to stand, sit and lie quietly while being groomed.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for your suggestions! I like the idea of putting him up on a table. I think that I will try it :)

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I find the best time to brush my mini, Beau, is when he's lying on the floor, asleep. Of course, you can only get to one side at a time. Otherwise, I have a small "typewriter" table that I covered with a piece of foam shelf cushion. Makes a great grooming table.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Treats! If he's food motivated, you want him to associate brushing with happiness, and treats=happiness in a lot of dogs' minds. After he comes happily with a wagging tail to be brushed for a treat every 20 seconds or so, start giving them to him every minute, then every 2, etc. The treats don't have to be big or anything. One of Liberty's favorites is chopped apples and carrots, or cut up dog treats so they're only teeny. It also sometimes helps to brush in sections, so you quit before they get too frustrated. Do one leg with treats, then 10 minutes later do another leg with treats, etc. Build up the time spent brushing depending on his reaction, until you can do all of him in one setting with him being cheerful, only giving a few treats here and there. I still give a treat after each leg, after each foot is shaved, etc.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sophie born August 16, 2008

Hi, We purchased Sophie at one year old last year in Arkansas. The long trip was worth the time it took to get to her from Ohio. We really enjoy her and she loves us very much. She loves to squeak her toys and tries to chase our 7 year old cat through the house to squeak him. I don't know what to do to break her of this habit. She is also a high jumper, everytime we come home she is jumping in our faces to greet us and also our friends and family. Do you have any suggestions on how to get her to quit chasing Doc our cat and also I would appreciate any suggestions on how to stop her from jumping so high on everyone. Really I would prefer her not to jump at all. Other than these two problems she is very loving and lies at my feet no matter what I am doing after our wild greeting at the door. My husband loves to wrestle with her on the floor and play fetch with her. We love her more than any other dog we have had. She is a real joy to love, she always comes up to us and wants to shake hands especially if she knows she did something wrong. That is her way to say that she is sorry. She is funny girl and full of love.
Sincerely,
Tamm
Spiritual Harmony

1 - 14 of 14 Posts