Poodle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Our family is getting our first ever dog, a black standard poodle, who will be coming home at the end of October. I'm trying to read and learn as much as I can to help prepare us for our new family member.

We live in upstate NY and have 4 children between the ages of 5 and 13. I do not work outside of the home, so I'll be the one around with our new pup for much of the day, as well as taking on most of the training tasks, while my husband is at work and the kids are at school.

I already have a lot of questions and look forward to learning from those of you with more experience! I've always loved animals, my kids love dogs and I'm both excited and nervous to make the change to a dog family.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of information here and plenty of support. My parents had retired in upstate NY long ago. I love going up there and camping out on their property. Our dog at the time loved it too and there was lots of space for him to run. They had plenty apple trees too and my mom made the best pies. .. the memories...

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Good luck with your new puppy! The best advice I have is to find a really good trainer with a lot of experience that offers puppy classes and get enrolled. They'll be able to make sure you're on track since this is your first dog. And read up on how important the socialization period is for young puppies. It will make a big difference in your dog developing into a well behaved and well rounded family member.

·
Premium Member
9,697 Posts
Welcome to PF! You don’t just have a cute puppy, you have a MENSA member and they require finesse when training. Maybe you can find a trainer who will come to your house to get you off on the right foot, as you wait until your puppy’s vaccinations are complete and can schedule classes. I had dogs before, darling dummies, and I am so glad I did this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the welcomes! We are actually getting him at 12 weeks and the breeder is going to get us started with some potty and crate training before he comes home. Friends with a very well behaved dog recommended their trainer to us, and it’s a place that also has puppy and other obedience and agility classes, and I will be sure to sign up for the appropriate ones. I have a vet in mind as well, also recommended by friends. We have come across dogs who are not well socialized, although overall nice dogs, so I definitely can see the difference between those who are and are not socialized and well trained. Local friends are getting a litter mate of his as well, so we may try to get them together periodically, too. Thanks again!

·
Registered
338 Posts
Welcome ASR!! So very excited for you! This is going to be an incredible experience for you and your family! I am sure the kids are excited.

Do you have any thoughts on names yet or wanting to see his personality first? I personally like to see their personality first but always keep a few names in mind :)

I wish you luck! Hope you post photos of him!! :)

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Congratulations. I bet you can’t wait until you pick your puppy up.

I love how hare planning ahead for socialization, training, vet etc. you’re in the perfect situation to spend some time early on training your dog to a great family pet.

When the puppy is a little older maybe your older children might like to take agility or obedience classes with your dog. I teach agility and right now I have a wonderful 12 yo girl with her dog In the beginner class. There’s a 14 yo boy who has worked up to a more advanced class. I’ve also taught 4H kids rally. It’s lots of fun for the kids and dog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts