Poodle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got shrimp for my planted tanks.
I am very excited! They are neocaridinia, red cherry shrimp and are very red. Shrimp are neat because they are one species where the females tend to be brighter coloured and bigger than the males.

Here is one, probably a male, cheerfully nibbling away. They have this adorable way of eating where they look like they are shoveling food in their mouths with their tiny legs.
20200719_102414.jpg

Two probably females - hard to see, on the right.
20200719_102644.jpg

Annie couldnt care less, which is likely very different than if I had gotten big flashy fish.

20200719_095734.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
Soon you will have many shrimp. :)

One of my prettiest tanks was a mix of Ember tetras, pygmy corydoras, and cherry shrimp.

·
Registered
7,025 Posts
I like shrimps too. I’ve had Amanos, red shrimps, blue shrimps... But not anymore. They’re jumpers and they always seem to find a place to jump out of. So no more for me.

But congrats on yours, they’re lovely !

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fenris - No names. Annie is lucky to have a name, I suck at names. Plus, hopefully in a few months there will be so many I can't count them.

Cowpony - that sounds lovely. I love tetras. I've dreamed of a neon tetra and shrimp tank, or a blue shrimp and ember tank.... But starting with the red cherries for now :)

Dechi- yikes! Thanks for warning me, my tank is open topped. And now I'm paranoid because I can't find ANY of them right now...Can't see them on the floor, either but still... I took those photos this morning right after the light came on, and i've heard they are somewhat nocturnal. Hopefully they are just hiding, not dead or jumped out.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Also,check/clean your filters out frequently. I attempted to add cherry shrimp to my endler/pygmy cory Aqueon 10 gallon, that has a lid ( with some small gaps). The shrimp never did well in that tank. I would often find distressed looking shrimp in the filter, even though I put a sponge on the filter intake. Snails also did not fair well in this tank, always finding a way out. I did have some long term luck with larger amanos.

Interestingly, shrimp and snails all do fine in my Aqueon bow front 36 gallon. Maybe it is the added depth? The slots on the intake for the filter on this tank are much larger and I did not cover with a sponge.

Let me know how it goes for you. I would still love to try shrimp in my 10 gallon again, but at $6 - $10 each...I might pass. I do have about 7 LARGE amano in my 36 now. They are so much fun to watch. In a way, much more entertaining than the fish.

Is this a shrimp only tank? Although I do not think the tiny endlers and pygmy corys could have killed off all my neocardia, I have always heard the only safe shrimp tanks are fish free.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My shrimp are doing well! The tank is shrimp only, heavily planted and Walstead type, and i was worried for a while as i didnt see the shrimp. I have a sponge filter only. So far due to the low stocking desnity it is the easiest aquarium i have ever kept. i honestly started the tank because i wanted to experiment with aquatic plants not because i wanted shrimp.

Now, there are a ton of babies and i am seeing the adults more, so they are very fun to watch.

I bought my neos off of kijiji, 5 for $10, so an inexpensive experiment. In the pet store they are $5-6 each. There are people selling chocolate and blue dream neos for $3-4 in the town i go to for medical appointments, i am quite tempted.

·
Super Moderator
1,655 Posts
My shrimp are doing well! The tank is shrimp only, heavily planted and Walstead type, and i was worried for a while as i didnt see the shrimp. I have a sponge filter only. So far due to the low stocking desnity it is the easiest aquarium i have ever kept. i honestly started the tank because i wanted to experiment with aquatic plants not because i wanted shrimp.

Now, there are a ton of babies and i am seeing the adults more, so they are very fun to watch.

I bought my neos off of kijiji, 5 for $10, so an inexpensive experiment. In the pet store they are $5-6 each. There are people selling chocolate and blue dream neos for $3-4 in the town i go to for medical appointments, i am quite tempted.
You will soon need more tanks, lol. Shrimp can be addictive.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts