Poodle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, everyone. I just bought a new pair (my first pair!) of straight shears, and when I test them out sometimes they just bend the hair instead of cutting it. Is this because I have zero scissoring technique or because the shears I got suck? I'm disappointed. :( They are Heritage brand.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
They might just need to be sharpened. Did you buy them used? It's fine if you did..I bought almost all of my stuff used, but had to sharpen it before it worked really well.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Do they have a thumbscrew like this? PetEdge: Alternate Images
(hopefully that works or does it have what looks like a flat head screw?

If it has a thumbscrew you can try tightening them a little. Sometimes new scissors do need to be sharpened or tightened.

Good Luck!
Mary

·
Registered
104 Posts
Scissors bought from new should NOT need to be sharpened!
Sent them back and ask for a NEW set, not free sharpen!
Dont let them fob you off, these could have been someone elses rejects or they may have dropped them or damaged in transit.
Had companys here try that on me!
Bec

·
Registered
575 Posts
i would guess it's either the tension or the way you are holding them.

If you don't hold a shear the way it was meant to be held, then you aren't putting enough "pressure" in certain places and the blades don't close on each other at the correct angle, so the hair just folds. same with tension, if it's not set correctly, it won't cut the hair. Honestly, I dont' think the shears need sharpening but they probably may need adjusting.

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
I agree that its probably how you are using them. I have that brand of shears from petedge too. If i try and cut at the wrong angle or with my other hand (if im getting to a hard to reach spot) then they wont cut. I just adjust my hand and angle and they are fine. Are you holding them with your thumb and ring finger (above the first knucle)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts