Poodle Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Forgetting mid-task is one of the aspects of grief. We're all grieving what was and what may be.

Luckily we're getting pulled back on task by indignant dogs.

My poor cone-adorned puppy has no idea why he's wearing this awful thing or when it will go away. It's impacted his entire existence.

He and I have that in common. No idea when things will improve.

They will.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Is anyone else finding themselves rationing, using just a little less so things will last longer?
I've been more careful to avoid waste.

I had some sad wilted vegetables in the fridge, and instead of tossing them (as I usually would) I roasted them with a little olive oil and salt.

Fresh produce feels extremely precious to me at the moment and I'm trying to figure out how to get my vegetable garden going again. I'd planned to skip it this year because SOMEONE has a penchant for nibbling.

I will also need to somehow guard the strawberry plants, as she picked them clean last August.

·
Registered
6,897 Posts
Costco has special hours Tuesday and Thursday for people over 60 or with health problems who are more at risk with the coronavirus. We went this morning and it was a very comfortable experience. There was a line up to get in the store - people started to line up 15 minutes before the store opened, we joined the line 5 minutes before. It was a long line only because everyone kept a 6 foot distance. The line moved quickly once the store opened and they were counting people and had a limit to allow in the store. There was plenty of room in the store to maintain social distancing. They had toilet paper and a guy was at the back of the store handing that out and helping people put cat litter in their cart.

As PeggyTheParti mentioned, fresh food seems like a luxury so we loaded up on things like lettuce, apples and carrots that will last awhile because we don't intend on going back for at least two weeks. They did seem to be better stocked than they had been for several weeks - I was finally able to buy more cooked turkey breast to make dog food. :DThey still didn't have the Clorox wipes that I wanted.:devilish:

We wore gloves in the store and treated everything as if it was infectious. Before I put anything in my car trunk I wiped it down with antiviral disinfectant wipes. We removed our nitrile gloves using proper protocol so we didn't touch the outside of the glove with our hand. I was really upset last night when I read the CDC report on the cruise ships where they found coronavirus 17 days after all crew and passengers left the ship but before it was disinfected. I believe it was parts of RNA and not intact virus, but I"m not sure, I haven't found any article or news report to clarify.

I mention our great experience at Costco because several other grocery stores are having similar policies and I think it's worth going during those special hours if you fit the requirements.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
Today I realized the danger of my chocolate addiction with cake & cookies as my drug of choice. A trip to a grocery store could kill me in this epidemic and not worth the risk. I took inventory and will run out of cookies/ cake in a week. Amazon Prime is out of my 1st, 2nd & 3rd snack choices. They're out of cake mixes except Brownie mix, out of regular flour and yeast to do home made baking. Out of frozen chocolate cakes. Out of all the fresh veggies and fruits that I like.

I have enough to survive fine to be holed up for at least a month to six weeks, except the sweets - unless I ration what I have stringently, i.e. one cookie a day instead of six and NO CAKE! I don't look forward to sugar-chocolate withdrawal!

My daughter had the funniest and truest insight today. She said after this epidemic fades and people start coming out again, we're not going to recognize a lot of people we know. She expects her friends to emerge as hot and fit, or really fat.

I've been more careful to avoid waste. I had some sad wilted vegetables in the fridge, and instead of tossing them (as I usually would) I roasted them with a little olive oil and salt. Fresh produce feels extremely precious to me...
Ditto. I have some nice veggies I cooked and froze, but not enough for two weeks. The frozen bags of peas and corn will get me by, but doggone I'll miss those fresh Vadalia onions, string beans, kale, spinach, and I love bananas.

I'm mentally filing this chapter in my life as Vita on nationwide house arrest and forced diet.

Well it could be a whole lot worse, I must count my blessings every day.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
I work in an essential industry, so I work. I am limiting my contact with people, this week I am working from home this week while the boss plans to re organize so we all can work safely. I have a home office set up in the meantime.

We still have loads of work to do.

On another note my vet was awesome, I do not have a credit card, haven't had one on many years. But the were kind enough to order Walter's medicine for me and have it shipped to my house so I don't have to go to the compounding pharmacy.

It is still bizarre to navigate through this world right now.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
I realised yesterday why I have been so tired for the last few days - this is like those first days in a new job or school when you don't know where things are or how things work or just what exactly you are meant to be doing, and everything takes thought and concentration. Little by little it all becomes normal and habitual, the background rather than the foreground, but till then we are all on a learning curve and it can sometimes be exhausting!

·
Registered
229 Posts
My last come-into-contact outing was on March 9. Everything since has been at a distance of 6 feet or through the glass. What about you?

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
My last hug was weeks ago, my brother's middle girl has been sick she got tested won't know until Monday the results.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Training on the 5th. It was Peggy's first class back after a month off due to her heat cycle and it was a brief but welcome return to normalcy.

We'd actually already started social distancing almost two weeks prior, and were being mindful of keeping a large buffer. But one very kind woman in class is an extremely close-talker! I literally had to just walk away from her at one point, but my husband is so polite. She was inches from his face. 😭

·
Registered
763 Posts
But one very kind woman in class is an extremely close-talker! I literally had to just walk away from her at one point, but my husband is so polite. She was inches from his face. 😭

Oh, no 😭

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
I'm feeling conflicted about online orders now. I've always done at least half my non-food shopping online. Now I'm I'm pondering the ethics of e-commerce. Are workers being treated fairly and given safe working environments? Am I helping to keep at least a small segment of the retail economy going with my order? Or is my order going to be filled by a scared warehouse worker who would much rather be home with her kid, yet daren't say no to her employer? I just don't know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Everyone has the right to say no if they feel their job is unsafe, so I'd just do what you normally do. I am going back to the office altho some of our employees are working from home, we're an essential service so we're still working

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
I’ve thought of that too, cowpony, especially with Amazon and their fulfillment personnel. Bezos can more than afford to keep his people safe and well compensated. And P.S. get the online ordering app sorted for Whole Foods. I feel like one of those contestants on a Top Chef episode, with the pantry DH is stocking. Used dried malted milk, chicken, 12 bulbs of garlic and bananas... Bon appetit!

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
fjm thank you for the insight about why you are tired. I've been tired, achy and having respiratory symptoms (mild ones and I really think allergies since Peeves is also showing allergy Sx). Now I've decided I don't really have the coronavirus. My last real world expedition was to class on March 10th (ended abruptly when we got text alrets tellin us to get out of Dodge). Now what fjm said hit home and gave me a bit of a mental break.

cowpony I feel really badly for a lot of delivery people these days.

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
My allergies are also mimicking mild coronavirus symptoms - I have not yet got back into the habit of automatically taking an antihistamine before leaving the house in the morning, and by early afternoon can be feeling quite rough without. From experience it is very like the early stage of an infection, as the immune system kicks in. Fortunately I am well stocked with loperamide from last year, and bulk bought the eyedrops that work best online when they became difficult to find locally last summer, so have several bottles of those too. All it needs is for some bright spark to start a rumour antihistamines help stop coronavirus...

Just take it slowly and take time to adjust, Catherine - regardless of our leaders' fantasies I think this is going to be a marathon rather than a sprint. We have only been living this new way of life for a few days, after all - we need to concentrate on keeping everyone safe and reassured just at the moment. All other deadlines can be allowed to slip a little.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
What I thought were allergy symptoms progressed steadily downward until now I've got a full-blown chest thing. It's quite painful, but I still don't think it warrants any sort of medical treatment. A dozen times a day, I close my eyes and imagine it's spring 2019: Would I be seeing a doctor if I felt this way? No? Okay, then no doctor now.

Our county is "ramping up testing" with a new shipment of 600 tests....for a population of 76,000. Even our lead public health officer is sick and not getting one.

·
Super Moderator
2,795 Posts
What I thought were allergy symptoms progressed steadily downward until now I've got a full-blown chest thing. It's quite painful, but I still don't think it warrants any sort of medical treatment. A dozen times a day, I close my eyes and imagine it's spring 2019: Would I be seeing a doctor if I felt this way? No? Okay, then no doctor now.
It might be a bacterial infection like strep, so you call your doc. Earlier this month I had the scratchy throat, then the soft tissues of my neck hurt, then one of my ears began to hurt, and slowly a narrow downward path to my chest began to hurt. I was too afraid to go to the doctor but found a bottle of antibiotics at home. (This was from a year ago where I was prescribed it but waited out symptoms one extra day per doctor instructions and got better.) Well this month I really needed it, and figured if it was coronavirus the antibiotics would not help but if it was my old enemy strep, it would. They were a Godsend.

So please, Peggy, "a full-blown chest thing" given your health problems is worrisome and may be remedied by a simple prescription from your doc. He or she is only one phone call away...

·
Registered
229 Posts

Our county is "ramping up testing" with a new shipment of 600 tests....for a population of 76,000. Even our lead public health officer is sick and not getting one.
If you've been avoiding contact, it's less likely that it's the virus and more likely that it's something that your doctor could treat via phone or video. Most insurance companies are paying for video visits now. You may want to talk to someone now before it gets worse.

I agree that this is a marathon not a sprint, so you may want to get this cleared up before it gets worse.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts