Poodle Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I have seen a couple of emails on my work email that range from sublime to ridiculous today. One of my colleagues has a friend from a neighboring university who was overseas on a research project. Her friend asked if there was anything she could bring to help given current conditions. My colleague asked for toilet paper. The friend bought a suitcase and packed it with about 60 rolls. At her return to the US she was asked about the suitcase and what she was declaring from its contents. The over weight and customs fees got waived and my collegue got 24 rolls out of that mercy transport. That is the sublime one.

The ridiculous one was that a discussion that had been started reasonably about giving exams online. It had deteriorated into whining about students not submitting work in the format requested by instructors. Well not all of my students are submitting in formats I requested. However I really only felt I should ask for them to make sure their names were on their submissions. We are a community college. Some students only have internet access on cell phones. Some don't have printers to download and work with materials sent to them in a form that is easier for them. Some of them don't have MS Office. Their college email accounts are google based, so they do all have googledocs. Rather than complaining about them not following directions I think we should be happy that those who are participating are doing so and not mind so much if their formats are not directly to our liking. BTW I told my colleagues as much in an allfaculty email. I have received a number of emails noting they thought my comments were "well said." I hope my thoughts sunk in with others above and beyond those who replied.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have seen a couple of emails on my work email that range from sublime to ridiculous today. One of my colleagues has a friend from a neighboring university who was overseas on a research project. Her friend asked if there was anything she could bring to help given current conditions. My colleague asked for toilet paper. The friend bought a suitcase and packed it with about 60 rolls. At her return to the US she was asked about the suitcase and what she was declaring from its contents. The over weight and customs fees got waived and my collegue got 24 rolls out of that mercy transport. That is the sublime one.

The ridiculous one was that a discussion that had been started reasonably about giving exams online. It had deteriorated into whining about students not submitting work in the format requested by instructors. Well not all of my students are submitting in formats I requested. However I really only felt I should ask for them to make sure their names were on their submissions. We are a community college. Some students only have internet access on cell phones. Some don't have printers to download and work with materials sent to them in a form that is easier for them. Some of them don't have MS Office. Their college email accounts are google based, so they do all have googledocs. Rather than complaining about them not following directions I think we should be happy that those who are participating are doing so and not mind so much if their formats are not directly to our liking. BTW I told my colleagues as much in an allfaculty email. I have received a number of emails noting they thought my comments were "well said." I hope my thoughts sunk in with others above and beyond those who replied.
If your students are as distracted by this as I am, they may well be doing the best that they can.

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I think for the intro class they are doing very well. As to my microbio students, they rarely ask me anything about content since I think they believe they don't need me so much (they are often wrong about that of course), but I do think they need to check in regularly. I find myself begging about that. Most of them didn't even reply to a request for them to let me know I was planning to change their midterm exam date.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It's still difficult to comprehend. We're now under a 'safer at home order.' Only essential businesses are open; we can travel but only for valid reasons.

We're sitting here wondering if the spring sprinkler maintenance will proceed on Wednesday as scheduled. We have no contact with the worker. And waiting to hear from the mobile groomer. No contact but surely not essential? Will the guy who cuts the lawn be able to continue? sigh

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
New York state is the same, stay at home except to buy food, go to the pharmacy and to get gas (but not needing it). The governor tried to avoid it, but finally saw it was the only path that was meaningful.

I was going to have sprinklers installed this spring, but that won't be happening any time soon. I spoke to my lawn guy yesterday evening. He is postponing doing spring clean ups until stay at home/no non essential business is lifted.

·
Registered
171 Posts
The prime minister has just put out a statement that we are now in full lockdown so things are even more restricted. Only allowed out for essentials and once a day to exercise. People seen in groups more than two will be split. I feel quite anxious at the moment but trying be positive

·
Registered
229 Posts
The prime minister has just put out a statement that we are now in full lockdown so things are even more restricted. Only allowed out for essentials and once a day to exercise. People seen in groups more than two will be split. I feel quite anxious at the moment but trying be positive
At least you can be grateful they're doing something. All the waiting for the sky to fall in has been tensing to say the least.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
My situation right now is that I am almost panicking about my job. More time to worry with currently no real work to do! I may or may not be thrown into the world of online instruction very soon (never done that before!). While I am a lower grade teacher, I took on the role as a support person for a temporary job, because I've been offered a really exciting job for next year. So, I do not know what my role is as a support person in this new online instruction system, and I probably won't even find out next week. Who knows...maybe I will just be cut? I really am sitting here with no idea right now, and I want to send a bunch of emails seeking clarification, and not look crazy at the same time. :confused:

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
This is deep red Tennessee. To say the least, I'm surprised. Over the weekend the governor refused the request of the Tn Med Assn. and mayors to close things up. Then our cases climbed.
Sad for people in all of the states where governors are refusing to see what is needed. People will die.

Dogs4Life, draft your emails but don't send them until you have had some time to step away, think about how it will be received and edit as needed.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
My situation right now is that I am almost panicking about my job. More time to worry with currently no real work to do! I may or may not be thrown into the world of online instruction very soon (never done that before!). While I am a lower grade teacher, I took on the role as a support person for a temporary job, because I've been offered a really exciting job for next year. So, I do not know what my role is as a support person in this new online instruction system, and I probably won't even find out next week. Who knows...maybe I will just be cut? I really am sitting here with no idea right now, and I want to send a bunch of emails seeking clarification, and not look crazy at the same time. :confused:
This is such a time of uncertainty, and I understand wanting some validation. I hope everything works out in the end.
Catherine, I hear you about being reasonable with student issues. I work for a non profit online college and our students are similar to community college students, juggling a ton of responsibilities and not a lot of resources. They are also our front line RNs, of course they’re having problems. Over half the students are from NY, many from the metro area, we need them to focus on patient care. Giving them an extra few weeks to finish a paper...small potatoes. Providing them space to care for patients in this pandemic.....Well, you can’t even put a value on that.
Somehow I think we would have worked well together!

On a positive note, depending on your view of winter...six inches of snow at the lake house today. Here’s my view outside the window. Gracie is convinced my working from home equals non stop play sessions, pic of her “helping” me write this post, just because I love her, and she is crazy.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've noticed that my simplest routines get botched much more easily these days.

I think a part of my brain must always be chewing on these strange new circumstances, trying to process them. Meanwhile, I'm on autopilot, doing silly things like washing my hands and not bothering to dry them before taking a stainless steel sheet pan from the freezer!

Ever have your skin stick to something cold? OUCH. The resulting "burn" is a painful reminder for me to slowwwww down.

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Peggy it is actually really important to dry your hands to reduce the likelihood of transferring things onto or off them.

And Carolinek I think we would have had a great time being colleagues.

·
Premium Member
9,349 Posts
There is a lot of job anxiety here, because so many jobs are petroleum related and then toss in every other sector impacted. Teachers have had to turn on a dime and go online. One of DH’s friends is a public school administrator and he admitted things were off to a rocky start. A lot of access and connectivity issues for the students in his district.

My nice neighbor texted that she was going to Whole Foods and did I need anything? Yes, I need a whole list, but just asked for a wedge of Parmesan and one of pecorino Romano. I will share some of my Spaghetti Carbonara with her. If you have pasta in the pantry, you’ve got to have the right cheese:) Figured I would try out my delivery applications for Whole Foods and the wine shop nearby. Big fat, NOPE. Oh, well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just asked my managers to start working from home today and tried it myself. It's hard not to feel like it's a holiday but maybe after a couple days it will seem more normal. Anyway the dogs are happy to have me home all day!

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,949 Posts
I am about to sneak out for a 7.30am walk, in the hope of fitting in another later. The new rules say just one exercise session, but Poppy isn't up to taking all the exercise she needs in one go. I feel as long as I go at a time when I see no one, and avoid touching even the wall by the stile, I am abiding by the spirit if not the letter - it is house to car to path to car to house. We live in astonishing times...

And yes, I keep getting part way through things and forgetting where I was up to - missing the dogs extra lick of toothpaste as a treat after teeth cleaning, for example. Soon brought back to reality by Sophy's outraged stare, though!

Is anyone else finding themselves rationing, using just a little less so things will last longer?

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am about to sneak out for a 7.30am walk, in the hope of fitting in another later. The new rules say just one exercise session, but Poppy isn't up to taking all the exercise she needs in one go. I feel as long as I go at a time when I see no one, and avoid touching even the wall by the stile, I am abiding by the spirit if not the letter - it is house to car to path to car to house. We live in astonishing times...

And yes, I keep getting part way through things and forgetting where I was up to - missing the dogs extra lick of toothpaste as a treat after teeth cleaning, for example. Soon brought back to reality by Sophy's outraged stare, though!

Is anyone else finding themselves rationing, using just a little less so things will last longer?
I wonder if the same thing is going to happen here. Yeah, I feel as long as we don't come in contact with anyone else and don't touch anything outside unless you have to or if you can wipe it before and after touching it, it's okay. Yeah, we do.

I do too. I keep forgetting to feed Sisko his second meal. It all goes down like this, Sisko will look at me like:? then I'll ask are you hungry? Sisko then looks at me like: yeah:? then I'll stop what ever I'm doing, and Sisko runs to his spot to sit for his food like:? then he gets his food.

Yeah, it's soap for me.

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
We had a sweet moment on my morning conference call. I work with people from all over the world. One of the Russians teased us by typing a greeting using the Cyrillic alphabet. Everyone promptly replied in their native language or dialect. We had Italian, Serbian, Spanish, Vietnamese, French, Chinese, Hindi, and several others. I think this whole situation has been a little unnerving for people riding it out far from their families. Little gestures make a big difference.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts