Poodle Forum banner

21 - 40 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
I was a small child, just learning to read, in the 1970s when the US got hit with Watergate, the OPEC oil embargo, and then stagflation. Being a Gen-X kid was scary. I remember looking at newspapers, struggling to make sense of both the big words and the big concepts. I was terrified my dad would lose his job. Story after story of auto plants shutting down, steel plants shutting down. Retail changed. The Hamurger Helper brand took off, as families were forced to switch to cheaper cuts of meat when the could afford meat at all. Generic, no ad brands also became a thing.

What's happening now reminds me somewhat of that era. A decade of hot growth abruptly ending. The general sense of dread and fear for the future. The hoarding, although in the 70s people tended to hoard gasoline rather than toilet paper. The turmoil and lack of leadership in government.

I hear millennials griping that their boomer parents just aren't taking this situation seriously enough. Perhaps that's true. On the other hand, Boomers have been there, done that, got the T-shirt. They survived Viet Nam, all kinds of social & political craziness, inflation, and the transition from a manufacturing to a service economy. Things will change, but this isn't the end of life.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Since I am considered at risk I took advantage of my grocery store early opening to shop.
Still I bought shelf stable goods, rice, canned beans, spices, chicken and beef broth, frozen juice oddly enough I was running low on laundry goods and dish soap so I got those as well.
Strange times
The shelves are sparse, with workers restocking these as fast as they can.
I picked up more fresh pet for Gracie. Currently she is eating Beatrice's prescription dry food, so those will sit until she gets fussy.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm trying very hard - and not always succeeding - to avoid news after 7 PM.

I put the laptop away at 7, and we watch something relaxing together. Then my husband goes to bed and I read and watch my Aussie nighttime soap on Hulu. And I'm fairly chilled.

Then I cheat and check the news one more time.

darn!

·
Super Moderator
623 Posts
Further ruminations. I'm musing on the fact that this whole crisis is hitting during the seasons of Lent and Passover. My family wasn't religious at all, and I'm not either, but many of my childhood neighbors were. I grew up with a deep respect for the self discipline and self sacrifice traditionally maintained over centuries.

It's been less than 100 years that we've been able to expect grocery stores to have a year round stock of anything we might want. Our ancestors experienced the end of winter as the hungry time. The chickens had stopped laying, the cows had run dry, stored food needed to be rationed if the family was to survive until summer.

From these hardships our ancestors created beautiful traditions. They turned the necessary doing without into an act of piety. They told stories of earlier times. They thought deeply and thankfully about the things they had and the sacrifices made by brave people through the years. They drew hope from knowing their forebears had endured and survived.

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Vita cooked food and frozen food both last longer than raw food. The items you stashed will keep very well as long as you don't thaw and refreeze. I agree with the idea of the news holiday and I generally don't watch much news on weekends anyway, but during the week I am a news junkie. I don't understand how people can think this isn't serious.

fjm I was getting dressed on Wednesday morning. BF was home and he asked me where I was going. I told him I wasn't going anywhere but that I had decided it wasn't going to be good for me to spend days at a time in pajamas so I agree with your friend who is taking care of makeup and hair.

·
Super Moderator
2,792 Posts
... All those politicians and tec entrepreneurs who wanted to break everything and see what they could build with the pieces are getting exactly what they wished for, and discovering that it is not as easy as they imagined
My thoughts too. I haven't seen nearly as many article about who what where why and how we're conducting war at our end lately, or have I not been paying attention? Seems warriors around the planet have slowed down. Even this: "ISIS has issued a travel advisory for Europe to its fighters due to the novel coronavirus pandemic, asking fighters to suspend travel to the region for terror attacks. ..."

How nice it would be if the long pause of humanity fighting among each other will provide the needed reset for us all to just stop.

And then there's this story on 3/13 that begs the questions of what we can achieve about climate change if take the clue that reducing carbon is do-able:

Pollution is Plummeting in Italy in the Wake of coronavirus, Emissions Data Show
"What already happened in China now appears to be happening in another country facing a dire outbreak and a broad lockdown aimed at halting its spread"

·
Registered
864 Posts
Agree on limiting contact with news. There are a few reliable sources, particularly for the science of the virus, versus popular media’s interpretation of the science. The difficult part for me this week was getting frequent updates from work. We finally were put on mandatory telework, and then the governor shut the state down (5 pm today for Illinois).

Islipped into work yesterday to pick up some files and met a security guard who believes this is a conspiracy to get us all into our homes so ‘they’ can do ’something.’ Perhaps I’m living in a fantasy world but that shocked me, affecting my mood for the afternoon until I could distract with a call from a friend. This is why states are declaring shelter at home, for those who will take no preventive actions (our conversation started when I suggested the 3 guards should be 6’ apart instead of huddled together in front of a monitor).

I’m trying to be more disciplined about a daily schedule, incorporating some kind of physical activity, too. It’s always been easier to go to a gym so this is a challenge. And I’m having a difficult time doing all of the little living room training activities with my dogs . . my spoo particularly needs something to substitute for his agility, nosework and obedience classes. He’s been a super therapy dog, very tuned into my moods and spending a lot of time in my lap.

I’m also aware of the massive scale of the financial disaster for many people. If this legislation goes through to provide money to individuals in the US, mine will go to the local food bank. I have a job, sick leave, health insurance, and a home. It’s imperative to help those that are suffering the direct effects of the pandemic.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
I set up Noelle's jump in the living room and we worked on retrieving a dumbbell. We did some work on drop on recall, and the like. I miss my classes and the routine of it. I've decided to start working on a fantasy novel that's been kicking around my head for a few years. As long as I am stuck at home, I might as well create art.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I am hoping that the adjustment will actually be good for us - most of us can cope with a lot less than we have, and reducing our impact on the planet by forcibly curbing our rampant consumerism may be hugely good for it and for us. And if we can hold on to the surge of kindness and community that has emerged all around the world that too would be a blessing. The world has been reset and will never be the same again - scary, but also exciting. All those politicians and tec entrepreneurs who wanted to break everything and see what they could build with the pieces are getting exactly what they wished for, and discovering that it is not as easy as they imagined - it is for us all to try to ensure that what they create is a political and social and economic world we want to live in.

And to be kind, to ourselves and to others. Which at the moment means biting the lip at the stupid idiots who are not taking this seriously and keeping both them and ourselves as safe as we can by being careful...

Our family Happy Hour on Skype last night was a great success, so we are making it a weekly event, together with weekly Skype coffee on Tuesday mornings. I suggested 9am - the rest decided 11am was a more suitable time for them! One friend, after staring at herself on screen for half an hour, has decided she is not doing it again without time to put on her make up and do her hair, which has always taken her hours and made her feel infinitely better about life.
You took the words right of me and my family's mouth with everything you just said.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Vita, I hope you are right, and that this war fought with microbes unites us. There are stories of battles being suspended for Christmas as both sides come to mutual understandings about what is important, and appreciation for forces greater than them. Your post reminded me of that. Here is one about WW1.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My routine has changed alot. Three children all now at home. No visitors and no visiting others. No dogs classes no dog shows. We also keep racing pigeons, that’s also been cancelled. Holiday also cancelled. I take my children to a special play centre for disabled children each week, that’s closed. Dog walks are now chaos kids dogs no one going in the same direction. We might be isolating but we’ve got each other to entertain and drive insane ??

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Felt silly buying these a year ago
20200322_111155.jpg

I bought them with filters when my asthma was bad, glad I have them now

·
Premium Member
22,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I am glad to see you have them also, with your asthma prone to big flares you need them.

·
Premium Member
6,064 Posts
Thanks Catherine, my shop is still open but I am working remotely even though construction is still considered essential... it feels wrong not to go to work but I feel I am pushing my luck, I am a hardcore individual when it comes to work I am former military so it goes against the grain.
I've been through scary times, a war, working in NYC post the first bombing of the Trade Center, post 911 working in NYC, I worked on One World Trade, this is so different it's like a bad SyFy movie.
I doesn't feel real, it's like a bad weird dream

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Am I the only one who feels like someone is going to pop out of the bushes with a camera crew and tell me I'm on a new reality series and none of this virus stuff was real?

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
We are definitely grieving. The loss of our old life and this peculiar new life has plunged us all into a state of shock and grief. I can't wrap my head around a pandemic.

21 - 40 of 100 Posts