Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have received some feedback from the members of the community lately about their concerns for new members joining and how and where they post. I agree with their concerns and now, I want to put in a restriction on the site for newly registered members. The restriction will limit the access to the rest of the forums until they've met certain requirements.

1. Do you think this is a good idea?

2. If you answered "yes" to the previous question, what forum areas should be off limits to newbies until they participate here more and/or have been a member for a certain period of time?

I can put all kinds of restrictions on who can access what area of the site.

I want to know your feedback before I do anything.

Thanks!
Yung

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Very Bad idea. This is public forum. The more seasoned members are no more valuable than the new users.

Internet communities can sometimes be messy places. You just have to take the good with the bad.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I think limiting new members might stop the flow of conversation on this forum. However, I would appreciate it if new members had to create a thread in the intro area before diving into the rest of the forum. I think sometimes when a brand new member dives into an already contentious thread, it just makes things worse when you have no idea who they are, where they came from or what their intentions are. At least an intro thread might give some idea of their background and how they are related to poodles (owner, breeder, etc).

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the restrictions I have in mind are really to have new members post an intro about themself first before posting anywhere else. That's it.

This will also help block out spammers.

Is it still a bad idea? :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with Cbrand completely. You have senior members on here with little to no experience posting on things they don't know anything about. Why keep a professional with years of experience from contributing from a thread that catches their eye simply because they have never chosen to contribute before or made proper *introductions*? Sounds like an elite club designed to keep people out instead of an inclusive forum to me.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
You wouldn't step into a room full of people already involved in a conversation and just barge in without introducing yourself, would you? Think about it, is it really any different?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I'm not sure how asking new users to make ONE post to say "hello" makes us elitists.
I'm not sure it matters to me either way. I can see the benefit which is an introduction to who you are, your purpose of coming to the forum and on the other hand it's almost like the PF is asking to prescreen you first.........that can seem a bit intrusive to some I guess. Even when people do post an introduction things can go in either direction.......and then there are some people that might want to check things out before they determine staying.

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not sure it matters to me either way. I can see the benefit which is an introduction to who you are, your purpose of coming to the forum and on the other hand it's almost like the PF is asking to prescreen you first.........that can seem a bit intrusive to some I guess. Even when people do post an introduction things can go in either direction.......and then there are some people that might want to check things out before they determine staying.
Sorry, I forgot to add that the restriction is only for posting replies and new threads. People will still be able to view the content. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
You wouldn't step into a room full of people already involved in a conversation and just barge in without introducing yourself, would you? Think about it, is it really any different?
I would likely introduce myself I am kind of outgoing but some people are more reserved and shy:)- but if the party is an open invite and I determine I am going I will certainly follow the rules, but it is my choice:) who I speak too...........right? I am honestly being the devils advocate here I promise as I said I can go either way, I like it here:)

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I don't think it would hurt for every new person to make an introductory thread...

it was the first thing I did when I joined this forum, and it seems like the norm for all the other respected people on this lovely forum

I agree maybe it would weed out all the people who might just want to pick at others?

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I don't think it would hurt for every new person to make an introductory thread...

it was the first thing I did when I joined this forum, and it seems like the norm for all the other respected people on this lovely forum

I agree maybe it would weed out all the people who might just want to pick at others?
I don't see the pickers going away lol :wacko:as annoying as it is watch or be on the receiving end........if the door is open people will walk in .........My intro was the first thing I did and my intentions were positive and I came here to learn, also get to know people that share similar things with. With that being said there will be different opinions and everyone has the right to express and when it does get ugly then thats what moderators are for.

I would not like for this to be a negative experience for anyone but it's going to happen, I have been pi**ed a couple times at how people have been treated but to me the restriction for the intro has nothing to do with this - some people are stronger than others in their opinions and they can do the introduction and still target whomever they choose.

·
Banned
30 Posts
I agree with Cbrand completely. You have senior members on here with little to no experience posting on things they don't know anything about. Why keep a professional with years of experience from contributing from a thread that catches their eye simply because they have never chosen to contribute before or made proper *introductions*? Sounds like an elite club designed to keep people out instead of an inclusive forum to me.
I agree totally. I have been looking at this forum a LONG time but not a member. When I saw a post I just felt was a good one LONG ignored.
Also "introductions" I have seen have not been revealing about "much". You still don't know who a person is really, or what their level of experience is, only what they choose to share.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Sounds like an unneccessary hoop to me. What is the point? So a newbie tries to post, they get a message that says before they can post they have to say "hello" on this other thread. So they go there and post "hello", and then go back to the other post to make their comment? Reminds me of going to the DMV... a governmental beaurocracy laden with red tape and hoops to jump through for no reason to me. User unfriendly, designed specifically to keep new people from posting their comments. But hey, its your forum. If you want to discourage people from participating that is your business.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I'm pretty sure the suggestion wasn't made so people would feel
"discouraged" to speak or join this particular venue
if someone doesn't feel comfortable disclosing information about themselves thats fair, but it would be nice to at least have that simple hello :D

It was a suggestion to see whether or not people thought it was a good idea...and it seems the general consensus is that some like it...some don't

but to reiterate...no one wants to discourage new people from the forum

·
Administrator
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a braincramp this morning and I just woke up from it. Here's what I just realized. I should have just did this without even posting about it because in reality, it doesn't effect any of you who are already on the site. Chances are, you probably wouldn't even have noticed. :)

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
True - maybe some things are not meant for opinions LOL.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Also "introductions" I have seen have not been revealing about "much". You still don't know who a person is really, or what their level of experience is, only what they choose to share.
I disagree. Most people who take the time to introduce themselves say where they're from, what poodles they have (if any) and why they joined the forum. It's hardly an onerous task, it's really more about dropping the anonymity just a little. I definitely think taking the time to introduce yourself to this forum keeps it a friendlier place.

There does however seem to be 2 types of members. Those who introduce themselves and those who don't share any information about themselves, their poodles or anything else. I sometimes question the identities and motivations of those who share nothing and wonder about the cloak of secrecy. But that's just me. :)

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
I had a braincramp this morning and I just woke up from it. Here's what I just realized. I should have just did this without even posting about it because in reality, it doesn't effect any of you who are already on the site. Chances are, you probably wouldn't even have noticed. :)

Ahhh... Big Brother knows best......

1 - 20 of 49 Posts