Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My family has recently rescued a 9 month old standard poodle from our local county Animal Control. I have been "casually" looking for a standard poodle on websites like Petfinder and the animal control sites, but it seemed rare to find a young standard like we were looking for. One day though there he was! I couldn't get in touch with anyone on the phone so we took the chance and drove up in the hopes he would still be there. I was worried since they keep the for so few days before putting them down. When I got there (with a 3 year old and 17 month old!) they told me he was still available, but was out of control, nobody could handle him, he pees on everyone..... etc. It almost seemed like they were trying to discourage me. I still wanted to see him and fell in love! Yes, he was a bit hyper, but just the biggest, sweetest goofball. As an experienced dog owner (of crazy labs) I knew I could get him under control. He was great with the kids and we took him home that day.

I am happy to say we have the excited peeing under control already, and he is without a doubt the smartest, or at least most trainable dog I have ever owned. The very next day he was sitting, walking on a leash perfectly. In the days since he has learned stay, down, touch, circle. All with clicker training. I am AMAZED how fast he picks it up, usually 3 tries and he has it! We are having so much fun with him, and I am shocked that he was ever dropped off there (due to behavioral issues, so they said). Lucky us! For the grand total of $63 we got an amazing dog, shots, neutered, micro chipped, papers, and a free vet visit! For anyone considering a dog, please look at your local shelter first. There were many pure bread dogs there, and you can save a life! We got my brother's pure Akita puppy at a shelter too. He was an amazing dog for all of his 13 years.

My issue at this point is figuring out what to do with his coat. I wasn't as knowledgeable as I should have been about the grooming needs of the breed and now I have found that I am in for a ton of grooming! So far, I am not sure if he has even been cut EVER. I personally LOVE the "muppety" look he has now, and he gets tons of compliments from people on the street, but I am aware this just isn't practical as is. Plus he has a lot of matting on his chest/belly. I have managed to get out the rest for the most part by brushing about an hour a day, but have not tacked this area as he does not like it. Any suggestions for a cute, more manageable yet still fluffy cut? He may have to be shaved down this time, but at least I'll have something to aim for. I love his fluffy head and un-shaved face! Not very poodle-like, I know, but he is so cute!

We look forward to learning more from everyone on the forum!

Liz & Jester (9 month standard poodle)

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
I don't know how hot it gets where you are during the summer, but he looks like he would look really good in a lamb cut. The body is clipped shorter, and the legs are kept longer. I like the lamb, because Captain is another one who doesn't like his chest messed with, so I can comb through that area fairly quickly when it is short. And congrats on your new baby!

·
Registered
207 Posts
congrats

Oh man....his first cut is going to be so much fun! I can't wait to see the pictures!!! Congrats and enjoy! If you do have to shave him down, maybe you can do a summer cut like my guy and save some leg hair for poms if it's not too matted down there. It is easy to maintain and brush especially with his empending coat change. If he doesn't tolerate brushing well this is a nice alternative. When his adult coat comes in, maybe then longer hair will be more easily managed. You may be shocked after his first cut like I was- hehe! ::welcome:

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I can't believe you got a silver standard for $63! That's just insane! His topknot is too high so I'd let that grow down some. In order for the grooming to be less intense you'll have to take off some of the hair he's got on him now. Sorry, I skimmed, did you say you were a groomer? If so I'm sure you will make him look great.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Congrats to you both for finding each other! I have a Silver girl Suri. Silvers are rare in shelters and at that price, WOW! I hope it all works out. I agree with kpoos the top knot or hair line above the eyes is way to high and I would love to see his face!

I like a short body and longer legs - And I bet there is some matting in there. Are you grooming or taking him to a groomer?

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
Well...bless your heart for rescuing him!! He looks as though his colour is going to be awesome when he is done clearing. His face is beautiful and light and you can see his legs are clearing nicely too. I am so glad you are getting his issues under control and things are working out nicely now. Congrats on the Poodle ownership.

There are tons of clips to choose from. If you peruse the different threads on here you will see loads of different grooms, and one of them may turn your crank. I am sure you will want most of that coat off of his body because he will soon be going through his coat change, and THAT is a nightmare. They mat if you look at them sideways. Once it is over though, his coat will be coarser and easier to brush.

Good luck with your boy!! Looking forward to updates!

·
Registered
918 Posts
What a beautiful little silver guy! How wonderful for you to have found each other. I hope you have many happy years together.

A lamb cut would look great, especially if you didn't take the body too short. I'd love to see him with a nice clean face!!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
:welcome: He is just too cute! Its awesome that you're getting his issues under control and working so hard to help him. The fun things about poodles are the many varied styles and you will have the oppurtunity to try them all if you so choose. I'm so happy you found him and I wish you many happy healthy years together!!

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Great story! Welcome to the forum. I'm so glad this boy found a family that can channel his energy and utilize his talents. Poodles are "thinking" dogs and you have to exercise their minds as well as their bodies. Great color on this boy, BTW. He is clearly a true silver! Any idea where he came from?

Re grooming:

1. Understand that Poodles have a coat that naturally wants to cord up into dread locks. With longer coat, you will always be fighting this process. Rubbing an area back and forth just facilitates the cording which is why he is matted on the belly, chest and probably behind the ears (I'm guessing this is where he gets petted and rubbed).

2. Poodles go through a coat change. Their coats are softer/looser as puppies. Around 9 months of age, their harder and curlier adult coat will start to come in. This is the time of SUPER MATTING because the two different coat textures bind together. From the looks of it, your dog has a pretty soft puppy coat. In the next month or so I predict that no matter how much brushing you do, you will be able to watch him matt as he walks across the floor. Your "muppet" look is not long for this world.

3. Poodle coat is insanely dense and insulating. Did you know that John Suter ran the Iditarod with an all Poodle team '89-91? I live in Colorado and in the winter, my dogs are happy as clams running around in single digit temperatures. In the Florida summer heat and humidity, I would think it cruel to keep a Poodle in anything but the shortest of cuts. There is a reason that the shaved down trim w/bracelets is often referred to as a Miami.

So.... my advice? Find a qualified groomer who will help you get on top of his grooming needs. This 1st thing will be to grow out that topknot a bit (the hair on the head should never be shaved above the corner of the eyes). I don't really care for a Miami trim on a boy, but I think a Modern or Lamb trim looks stylish and athletic. Trimming him close now will get off all that soft puppy coat and it will help keep him cooler this summer.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Woohoo another poodle rescue! Congratulations and good for you. If only people knew how many purebred dogs are found at the pound they'd never go to another byb again. Yes even our beloved standard poodles get dumped.

Jackson had the furry face when he first came to my house. I just loved it and his nose hair was so soft. When I finally took him in for his first shave I did not recognize the dog they brought out to me! And I didn't like it. Now, four months later, I wouldn't have him any other way. And that poodle hair grows so fast that if you don't like it short you don't have put up with it for long.

Good luck and give us lots of pics!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome and advice! I have to admit, I cut some of the hair away above his eyes, I guess the lower part of the top knot? :doh: He was running into walls the first day we got him because he couldn't see because of the hair in his face. Whoops! But I needed to do something until I could get him properly groomed and I had no idea. At least he can see. He looks pretty silly and goofy anyhow.

On his papers, it lists the breeder as Edith Bernard, from Stuart Florida. Sire: Highview Ya Don't Say. It does clearly say that my guy is not to be used for breeding and has a "limited" registration, whatever that means. I wouldn't have cared either way. He's a handsome guy in my eyes!

I do like that lamb cut, and I agree summers in Florida can be brutal! I will have to check the modern cut too. Maybe I can come around to a shaved face. Is it acceptable to have it short but not shaved? That part might be a bit hard for me, but maybe once he is all trimmed and looking good I won't want to go back either. What is the price for grooming where you live. I have called a bunch of places, and the range seems to be $80 at the cheapest (only 1) and most at $150! I do live in the land of small designer dogs and their rich owners, so that might just be the going rate. If anyone is in south florida and has a great groomer let me know!

I was wondering if he does still have the puppy fur. It is fuzzy after I brush it, but it does curl up the following day. Will his color change when I get him cut? I am excited to see what he ends up looking like! I'll be sure to post some pictures of his "makeover".

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
On his papers, it lists the breeder as Edith Bernard, from Stuart Florida. Sire: Highview Ya Don't Say. It does clearly say that my guy is not to be used for breeding and has a "limited" registration, whatever that means. I wouldn't have cared either way. He's a handsome guy in my eyes.
Limited reg just means you can't breed or show him. But the good news is you can participate in AKC events like obedience and agility if you want!

This page has some contact information for his breeder, just in case you ever want to get in touch with her or have any questions. Like how one of her breedings ended up in a shelter... Her kennel name is "Lordsoffurr's Standard Poodles".

Poodle

And here's his Dad's pedigree.

http://www.poodlepedigree.com/pedigree.asp?ID=144625

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yeah I would contact them just so that they know that one of their puppies ended up in the shelter.

·
Registered
2,686 Posts
Please do contact the breeder. Sometimes things happen and the breeder is out of the loop. If she blows you off, then contact the stud dog owner so that word can get around about this breeder. The owner of the sire is:

Selective Standard Poodles

I know the Keja folks and I bet they would spit lead if they knew that a dog from their line ended up in a shelter. I think Connie at Highview should be contacted too.

Who is the dam?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I was wondering if the dog's owner should have or tried to contact the breeder before dropping at Animal Control. Or if they even looked for a poodle rescue. Is it standard to let the breeder know? Is the main issue selling a puppy to someone who would leave a dog at Animal Control?

I'm glad I was there to get him, I don't know how much longer he had. He had already been there a few days, and with the way things are now, who knows how many people would give a chance to a large "out of control" (per the shelter) dog.

What should I say? Just that I adopted him and thought they should know? I don't want anyone to be able to take him away/back or anything. Feel free direct the other breeder to this f you know them. I have no idea who the owner was, but the dog was at Palm Beach County Animal Control, and turned in for "behavioral" issues.

The dam is listed as "Sweet Molly II" PR08341502

Thanks for the links. It is very interesting to see where he came from.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Jester is beautiful! What a great find!! I love the silvers and he looks like his color will be glorious once he finishes clearing! Someday I hope to have a silver, too! :love:

As far as fuzzy/clean face, it is really a personal opinion. Some people really like the fuzz, but since I've had my little girl (she's 7 months old now) I have kept her face clean because when the hair on her face starts to get a little bit of a wave to it, I CAN'T stand it and have to clean her up!! :lol: I learned to to the basics myself (face, feet and tail) and am starting to get a little more ambitious with keep her new continental clip up to date until she visits the pro groomer again (probably sometime next month). I really enjoy keeping Lucy looking nice - and it really wasn't hard to learn to do it myself!

Good luck with this beautiful, lucky boy - and continue to provide pictures - I love looking at the silvers!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Is it acceptable to have it short but not shaved?
Yeah sure! That is the wonder of poodles, you truely can have them look however you want, and if you don't want the shaved face, then have a fuzzy one! You can certainly have it trimmed short with a longer blade than the usual (ask the groomer to use a 5F on his face, if you want it shorter you can try the 7F...)

What is the price for grooming where you live. I have called a bunch of places, and the range seems to be $80 at the cheapest (only 1) and most at $150!
It sounds about right... Poodles aren't cheap to get groomed at all! They are a LOT of work, and some groomers don't even do them any more cos for the amount of work, we don't actually get much money for them! I can do at least 2-4 little dogs in the same time I can do a standard...

I was wondering if he does still have the puppy fur. It is fuzzy after I brush it, but it does curl up the following day.
Yup, it's still puppy fur! The curls are normal poodle curls, but it's a soft limp puppy coat going by the pics, not the thick frizz that the adult coat is!

Will his color change when I get him cut? I am excited to see what he ends up looking like!
YES! The colour he is on his face, is the colour he will eventually be all over! Silver puppies are born jet-black, and it starts to grow out silver at the roots. That's why his face is silver, because it's so much shorter there. If you part the coat on the rest of him you can see the new colour coming in underneth, and that's the colour he'll be when he's trimmed up. It will continue to change and lighten as he gets older until it's fully 'cleared' into a nice silver colour! :)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
If you have an adoption contract w/ the shelter the breeder can't take him back from you. He is legally yours. They can ask but their beef is w/ the person they sold the dog to, not you or even the shelter. (I think the shelter should've contacted the breeder but that's another issue.) Contact the breeder and tell them you have the pup along w/ his papers. Hopefully, the breeder will be willing to help you w/ some of the question you have.

This just goes to show that a big price tag says nothing about how well a puppy will be taken care of. I would imagine CH sired puppies don't come cheap and yet this dog's first owner couldn't be bothered to groom him or contact the breeder/poodle rescue when they could/would no longer keep him. They just dumped him at the shelter.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts