Poodle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exciting news.. My 5 year old Standard Simon is a big brother.. Puppies were born on March 18th. I am leaning toward a female but will not decide until the puppies get older.. Sort of nervous as I am wondering how Simon will react since he has been the center of attention for 5 years. He is so attached to me and I am sort of worried.
I am planning on introducing them at the park. Now the hardest part is thinking of the perfect name.
Any ideas????? Boy or girl names for a Black Standard.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Hi Linda, I WAS from Pittsburgh, born and raised but moved NW to Ellwood City to raise kids out of the city and the taxes. But its nice you're getting a baby. I just sold my last 5 puppies and will be content with 4 standards, a toy and 2 poo mixes. When I bring home a dog, the others barely raise an eyelid anymore. I would choose a female unles you know for sure Simon is really dog friendly. But I have one male (intact) that LOVES all dogs and another male (neutered) who is so bonded to me....he'd take a longer time for me to feel safe with a puppy around him. KIM
favorite male name: Teegan
Female name: Madison

·
Registered
362 Posts
I am in the same position as you. I am bringing home a pup next weekend and I have many names on a list. I will decide on one when I bring her home and see how she does. I have a 2 year old male standard, but I had two others with him but they have both went to the rainbow bridge and I know he loves other dogs. I chose a female.
I am getting a black standard.
Make a long list of names and narrow it down.
I narrowed my list down to a few and I am hoping one will fit.
Can't wait to see pictures of your pup.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
exciting!!!!!

as to mle vs female- i've found throuhg my years of working with dogs- males tend to want to work for their person more ... femles are usually more independant (OK i'd love my A button to work a bit more consistantly here... )

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I would not bring a young pup to a park because of potential disease/illness like parvovirus. I would bring the pup in the house, put him/her in the crate and do intros that way

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
baby gate in the house works well too- or just down the street from your house on the side walk or park where dogs aren't normally seen...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Would your breeder let you bring Simon to her place to meet the new pup? I had a similar situation to yours about two years ago. When I contacted the breeder about another pup, she had a four month old female available who is Beau's half sister. She suggested I bring Beau to meet the new pup and see how they reacted to each other. He wasn't exactly thrilled to meet her. She tried to play with him, pounced on him, and he growled at her. I was upset with that, but the breeder said that was okay. He was just telling her no. She came home with us, and now they happily pounce on each other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am getting my puppy from Pittsburgh next weekend. I let my husband name the dog -- a male -- Sampson, but we will call him Sammy. I have had female dogs in the past -- Chloe, Jasmine, Shiloh, Chanel. I like feminine names. Good luck! As for the introduction, I like the idea of them meeting at the breeder's home -- neutral ground, but clean and safe.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
exciting!!!!!

as to mle vs female- i've found throuhg my years of working with dogs- males tend to want to work for their person more ... femles are usually more independant (OK i'd love my A button to work a bit more consistantly here... )
My two are exactly opposite of what you've described here. Harry is more independent about doing what he wants to do when he wants to do it. Mia is the type to completely focus on me (I'm her person) and do what I want her to do to please me. She often looks up at me or back at me on the leash and doesn't like getting too far ahead of me so she's not a puller whereas Harry doesn't care about us once he gets it in his head to get some place that looks fun for him. He has selective hearing.

I think that males can have more of a tendency to be dominat with humans and other animals (generalizing) and are very protective of their home and space. I have yet to see Mia protect or guard anything, she just takes what she wants all of the time and will allow anything to be taken from her. She does bark at sounds but I think that's more out of fear of the unknown rather than guarding although I know females do guard and guard well.

Good luck with your decision. I think you've gotta just decide based on personality and not with the gender of the puppy. They are all different.

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
I tried to post a response to you last night but see it is not here, so either got lost in cyberspace or is in the wrong thread...lol!

I prefer males over females. I didn't until I got my first male Whippet and he was everything I wanted in a dog-EVER! At the same time, my Mom was rasing her boy Thinker, and she felt exactly the same way about him. They were just dreams to live with. I find the girls love you...AFTER YOU FEED THEM. I feel they are more purpose driven and their #1 purpose is survival of the species. Even spayed females tend to be more focused on numero uno- THEM. The boys purpose in life is to be devoted to their humans.

As for names...because you have a Simon, I would call a boy Shuster and a girl Carly.

Best of luck with your new addition and the intro. I think you will find that everything will work out beautifully, and the new puppy will make Simon a puppy again himself.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition! Had we gotten Jasper's sister instead.. we would have named her Grace or Gracie.

Males are big lovable lugs LOL. Not that females aren't, but I find them to be a bit more independent.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
All my girls are bitchy. My little 21 year old is STILL that way. Its always been her terms. She has to eat at a certain place. she has to ride in the car in a certain place....and god-forbid if one of the happy bouncy boys, bumps her. she's all teeth and growling. Yes, girls can be snots/divas/princesses/cat-like/food hogs/bowl guarders/watchdogs/oh but I still love them all.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
All my girls are bitchy. My little 21 year old is STILL that way. Its always been her terms. She has to eat at a certain place. she has to ride in the car in a certain place....and god-forbid if one of the happy bouncy boys, bumps her. she's all teeth and growling. Yes, girls can be snots/divas/princesses/cat-like/food hogs/bowl guarders/watchdogs/oh but I still love them all.
Something must be wrong with my female because she is NOT like this at all. Either they don't get like this until after their first heat and I'm in for a world of hurt when she changes, or she will just be the odd dog out and be a loveable sweetheart her whole life.

I honestly prefer the independence of a dog that doesn't need to be with me 24/7. I don't like clingy behavior in kids, husbands, or dogs.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
KPoos, I think it's because she's still young. Our female chihuahua didn't get bitchy until she was a couple of years old. Every male dog I've ever known has been much more accepting of other animals and other people than any of the female dogs I've ever known. That's why I prefer males.

Of course, I'm not saying Mia will definitely become that way. Only time will tell.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts