Poodle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought our spoo home on Sunday and on Monday morning got a call from the breeder who told us that the last stool sample they took (on Thursday or Friday) came back positive for coccidia. Since they test the whole litter at once, we weren't sure whether ours had it or not. Was fine until yesterday afternoon when he threw up his lunch and then later that evening had loose stools in the house (after a day of successfully going to the bathroom outside all day). When he woke us at 3 am, he had stooled in his crate. And then threw up twice again this morning. He seems otherwise OK, chipper, not lethargic, continues to eat and drink water. We have our first vet appointment at 4:15 today which feels like eons away. I just want to get the treatment started so things start to get better.

How long should we expect the symptoms to last once we start meds, assuming that he is otherwise OK? Does anyone have any tips to get through the next week? It feels really hard now to crate train (which we will continue to do) when we aren't sure whether he is just crying for company or because he's soiled his crate. It feels cruel to him and us to just check on him (without taking him out of crate) each time he cries and that it will encourage his behavior.

We are not thrilled with receiving a sick puppy from breeder who charges a lot for the pups and is AKC registered. Bringing home a puppy is stressful enough, much less one with a parasite. I imagine it is hard to control for a perfectly sterile environment outside, but still frustrating.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't have any advice to offer-- we just brought home a puppy this weekend and I'm a first time dog owner so brand new to it all. But I wish your little guy speedy recovery vibes! I imagine it's such a tough spot to be in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have any advice to offer-- we just brought home a puppy this weekend and I'm a first time dog owner so brand new to it all. But I wish your little guy speedy recovery vibes! I imagine it's such a tough spot to be in.
Thank you! I appreciate it and hope everything is going well with your puppy :)

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Im don't have anything to add either... I can only imagine how stressful you must feel. Just keep telling yourself that everything will be okay. Hopefully the more experienced pet parents will chime in once they see the thread.

It could be helpful if you search "Coccidia" in the forum search bar to see what's been posted about it in the past.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have no experience with coccidia, but would highly recommend calling and asking your questions to the breeder. A good breeder is always there for their past puppies and should be more than happy to give you advice!

As for crate training, have you been offering your pup the opportunity to go potty whenever he starts whining? Puppies can't hold their bladder that long and he might be trying to communicate that he needs out, especially with loose stools.

Hope things go well at the vet!

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
I'm so sorry, not the ideal start with a new puppy. I hope treatment effects a complete recovery quickly.

I would worry about cleaning up properly because your dog can reinfect itself if you don't disinfect completely. Easier to do in a crate - but more difficult outside. You don't want to contaminate your property because your dog will keep getting reinfected.

Honestly, I don't have any experience with Coccidiosis but in my work I've worked with infectious human specimens so I'm a little anal about things like this. I also prefer to toilet train to outdoors and skip the pads. But I would be concerned about disinfecting the yard - ask your vet if you can decontaminate completely and safely in your yard. I might consider using a puppy pad in a tray inside your house so you have surfaces that are easy to clean. Transfer to outside once puppy has cleared the protozoa.

Don't worry about the toilet training, just do your best - you have months to get it right. These first few days and weeks won't affect your puppy. Focus on disinfecting and not on perfect toilet training. Once puppy has cleared the protozoa you can focus on toilet training diligently.

In a month or two you'll be into a good routine and look back at this and realize it wasn't as bad as you are thinking it is right now.

·
Premium Member
13,896 Posts
I too sympathise. I think I would forget about crate training while he is unwell, and set him up a pen or other safe area with bed, puppy pads, water, etc. That gives you a chance of containing the mess, which makes things less stressful, and ensures he at least has the opportunity to go on a pad. It is also much easier to get rid of the parasite on pads, by burning them, than it is once it gets into the environment outside, as Skylar says. Steam cleaning is the best way of sanitising the crate and other areas that may be contaminated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm so sorry, not the ideal start with a new puppy. I hope treatment effects a complete recovery quickly.

I would worry about cleaning up properly because your dog can reinfect itself if you don't disinfect completely. Easier to do in a crate - but more difficult outside. You don't want to contaminate your property because your dog will keep getting reinfected.

Honestly, I don't have any experience with Coccidiosis but in my work I've worked with infectious human specimens so I'm a little anal about things like this. I also prefer to toilet train to outdoors and skip the pads. But I would be concerned about disinfecting the yard - ask your vet if you can decontaminate completely and safely in your yard. I might consider using a puppy pad in a tray inside your house so you have surfaces that are easy to clean. Transfer to outside once puppy has cleared the protozoa.

Don't worry about the toilet training, just do your best - you have months to get it right. These first few days and weeks won't affect your puppy. Focus on disinfecting and not on perfect toilet training. Once puppy has cleared the protozoa you can focus on toilet training diligently.

In a month or two you'll be into a good routine and look back at this and realize it wasn't as bad as you are thinking it is right now.
Thank you! I very much appreciate your advice. I hadn't even considered the re-infection aspect of this. I will have to research pad training.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too sympathise. I think I would forget about crate training while he is unwell, and set him up a pen or other safe area with bed, puppy pads, water, etc. That gives you a chance of containing the mess, which makes things less stressful, and ensures he at least has the opportunity to go on a pad. It is also much easier to get rid of the parasite on pads, by burning them, than it is once it gets into the environment outside, as Skylar says. Steam cleaning is the best way of sanitising the crate and other areas that may be contaminated.
Thank you. What a nightmare in terms of cleaning.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have no experience with coccidia, but would highly recommend calling and asking your questions to the breeder. A good breeder is always there for their past puppies and should be more than happy to give you advice!

As for crate training, have you been offering your pup the opportunity to go potty whenever he starts whining? Puppies can't hold their bladder that long and he might be trying to communicate that he needs out, especially with loose stools.

Hope things go well at the vet!
Thank you! Yes, we have been letting him out occasionally, in spite of him doing almost 7 hr stretches with the breeder prior to taking him home.

·
Super Moderator
3,728 Posts
You might want to look into a washable whelping pad instead of or in addition to pee pads. I tried lining the cargo area of my car with pee pads when I was traveling with my most recent puppy. He shredded them. Washable incontinence pads, which are basically just a smaller version of whelping pads, worked much better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pavie had coccidia when he was a puppy too. He got it after being boarded....I wasn't very happy with the boarding facility.... The diarrhea was a nightmare and he kept needing to poop so often. I ended up trimming the hair around his butt to help keep it clean.

The vet gave us albon suspension and probiotics to take for a week, but it didn't work. The next week, the vet let gave us panacur granules (a dewormer) and more probiotics to take for a week, and it worked.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might want to look into a washable whelping pad instead of or in addition to pee pads. I tried lining the cargo area of my car with pee pads when I was traveling with my most recent puppy. He shredded them. Washable incontinence pads, which are basically just a smaller version of whelping pads, worked much better.
Great idea, thanks!

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Our lil shih tzu had coccidia when we brought him home. It is contagious to other dogs so its best to have him potty in one area where you can do a proper clean up. I'd go ahead and put him on a bland diet to help form up the stool. We used boiled white rice and either ground chicken or lean beef mixed together with a scrambled egg every day. He was very small and had zero appetite. The scrambled egg encouraged him to eat. The vet gave him metronidazole for diarrhea ,(basically just to get it under control), a probiotic and Albon for the coccidia. It took him a good week or so to be good but he was very small and had it really bad. During this time we continued to crate train, we actually used a small pen . That way we could put a puppy pad on one end but really we just took him out more frequently and it all went well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We brought our spoo home on Sunday and on Monday morning got a call from the breeder who told us that the last stool sample they took (on Thursday or Friday) came back positive for coccidia. Since they test the whole litter at once, we weren't sure whether ours had it or not. Was fine until yesterday afternoon when he threw up his lunch and then later that evening had loose stools in the house (after a day of successfully going to the bathroom outside all day). When he woke us at 3 am, he had stooled in his crate. And then threw up twice again this morning. He seems otherwise OK, chipper, not lethargic, continues to eat and drink water. We have our first vet appointment at 4:15 today which feels like eons away. I just want to get the treatment started so things start to get better.

How long should we expect the symptoms to last once we start meds, assuming that he is otherwise OK? Does anyone have any tips to get through the next week? It feels really hard now to crate train (which we will continue to do) when we aren't sure whether he is just crying for company or because he's soiled his crate. It feels cruel to him and us to just check on him (without taking him out of crate) each time he cries and that it will encourage his behavior.

We are not thrilled with receiving a sick puppy from breeder who charges a lot for the pups and is AKC registered. Bringing home a puppy is stressful enough, much less one with a parasite. I imagine it is hard to control for a perfectly sterile environment outside, but still frustrating.
Thank you all so much for your advice. We tried the crate again last night and he did loose stools in it twice overnight. We're running on about 4 hours of sleep the last 3 nights so it sounds like we need to try something different. Maybe using a pen instead with lots of lining for poop or having me sleep right outside his crate? I don't know, but we're off to a very rough start (and I have two young kids so sleep deprivation is not new to me).

·
Registered
9,174 Posts
having me sleep right outside his crate? I
When I brought my puppy home, I slept on a couch in the family room for a few weeks. I was able to keep puppy’s crate next to the couch so he didn’t cry at night and it was closer to the door to take him out to potty.

I think you might find it easier too for a short time. It will keep you close so you can clean up poop right away. You might even catch your puppy in time to get him to the potty pad for easier clean up.

I presume the vet has given you medication and perhaps a special diet to treat your dog. It won’t be long before the medication takes effect and your puppy will be free of the parasite and having normal poops which will be a lot easier for both of you to deal with.

(((Hugs))) this is a rough start, but in the lifetime of your puppy this is a tiny blip. It won’t be long before your puppy can go though the night and you will get a good nights sleep again. Also once treated so there’s no more diarrhea, your puppy will quickly learn where to potty and in a few months will have full neurological control of passing urine and stool.

Reactions: PowersPup

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When I brought my puppy home, I slept on a couch in the family room for a few weeks. I was able to keep puppy’s crate next to the couch so he didn’t cry at night and it was closer to the door to take him out to potty.

I think you might find it easier too for a short time. It will keep you close so you can clean up poop right away. You might even catch your puppy in time to get him to the potty pad for easier clean up.

I presume the vet has given you medication and perhaps a special diet to treat your dog. It won’t be long before the medication takes effect and your puppy will be free of the parasite and having normal poops which will be a lot easier for both of you to deal with.

(((Hugs))) this is a rough start, but in the lifetime of your puppy this is a tiny blip. It won’t be long before your puppy can go though the night and you will get a good nights sleep again. Also once treated so there’s no more diarrhea, your puppy will quickly learn where to potty and in a few months will have full neurological control of passing urine and stool.
Thank you so much, I needed to hear this this morning!

·
Super Moderator
3,728 Posts
I feel bad for you and him. I think you might want to try your idea of letting him have access to his pen. You don't want him getting habituated to messing in his crate.

·
Premium Member
24,640 Posts
I agree with cowpony about not letting your pup think it is okay to soil his crate. It is too bad you are going through this, but coccidia are pretty easy to treat, usually with flagyl, so you ahould get it cleared up asap. Javelin had coccidia with no symptoms one time when he was young. I think he may have picked them up from eating chicken poop.

Reactions: Skylar
1 - 19 of 19 Posts