Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
First don't panic. You will be fine. I would pick her up as much as possible so she is out of reach of small small children who may be more impulsive than adults and often just want to pat the pup on the head. When a person shows interest in her ask them to help socialize her. People mostly love to be helpful. Give them some small (really small) yummy treats to give her. Have them talk to her while she takes and eats the treats. If she decides she doesn't want to eat them she is telling you she is nervous and just say thank you and stop while you are still ahead. If she is enthusiastic for the treats then ask them to gently pet her on the shoulder or on her neck, not on the top of her head. Keep going as long as she is taking treats. I think poodles bear a lot of rough petting since so many people want to stick fingers into the curls. When my nieces were small the big sister always used to run her fingers through little sister's hair. Little sister hated that and one of the very first things she said reliably was "make her leave my hair alone!!!"

Reactions: pickleweed

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
fjm you make a very good point about how the world looks to small (short) dogs. When I have tiny puppies or toy breed dogs around the hardest exercises for them are the novice stand for exam and the utility moving stand for exam. You would think judges would consider that but many of them where clunky shoes and have heavy footfalls when approaching. My trainer who has Pomeranians has a list of judges she will only show to in open since the judge has no reason to approach her dog. Making a safe space between your feet is a great plan, but I still see a place for picking up small dogs, just so long as the owner doesn't startle them in the process.

Reactions: fjm
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.