Poodle Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Administrator
14,432 Posts
Cute little girl! Aw.

When did you bring her home? Peggy was very timid with strangers the first few days, and then quickly blossomed. For her it was very much about her diet and getting her feeling well.

Assuming Maeby is eating and digesting fine, and has received a clean bill of health from your vet, I would focus on building her confidence in fun, positive ways. Don't push the stuff that makes her nervous. Print off a socialization checklist if you haven't already, and start creating experiences with the things that encourage her curiosity. Things like walking on new surfaces, exposure to different sounds, etc. Always doing it with play, in a lighthearted way. If she won't take treats or starts snatching them from your hand, you've pushed her too far. Take a step way back.

I would also ask your trainer for tips.

Maeby's early socialization window is about to close, but with a shy temperament I'd think the focus (even moreso than usual) should be on quality of experiences rather than quality.

·
Administrator
14,432 Posts
Thanks for your comments! I will continue to take it slow and definitely be more forceful telling people they can’t pet her.

We’ve had her for about a week and a half. So I know we are all just figuring each other out, but some articles make it seem like it’s extremely abnormal for puppies to be showing signs of fear which was stressful to read.

Based on my lurking around this forum, it seems like you have a really amazing trainer Peggy. The trainer I go to is pretty good, but I think they excel at teach more for the masses rather than the individuals if that makes sense. In November we’re starting another class at our local Training Club so hopefully that is helpful too.
I tend to overthink things so I know I just need to let her be herself and working things out slowly. I will keep you posted!
I can definitely relate to this. Peggy growled at our vet on the third day we had her, and it was easy to find articles online that confirmed my worst fears. The trainer our vet referred us to wouldn't even work with us! She told us to return Peggy.

Now Peggy loves going to the vet! The groomer, too. But that old fear still lurks at the edges, and that's why I'm so grateful we eventually found the trainer we did. She talked us down and helped us choose a path forward that would keep Peggy social while not overwhelming her. And she continues to provide support.

But really it just all comes down to positive reinforcement, keeping your puppy under threshold, and letting her know every day, in every way, that she can count on you.

I also think the opportunity to play with other puppies under careful supervision is helpful. We had a few timid puppies come through our classes, and even just sitting on the sidelines and watching the fun seemed to help them come out of their shells.

Re-reading your post, I wonder if the UTI might be a factor... If she's getting sudden pain, that can make the world feel very scary and unpredictable. And if she's on an antibiotic, she might not be feeling very well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.