Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was the day. Picked up my boy. Going well for day 1- lol. I do have what seems like a silly question. How much water should a 10 week spoo puppy drink in a day? I'll try to post a picture. And, I'll probably have million other questions. Nervous wreck here.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
What a pretty puppy, congratulations !

About water, it depends on a lot of factors, but you should let him drink as much as he wants, except before napping and sleeping. And cut it maybe 60 minutes before going to bed. Time before bed should be for calm moments, so he shouldn’t be thirsty anyways.

·
Premium Member
4,025 Posts
That second picture really shows up your pup's expression. Awesome - enjoy these puppy days.

·
Registered
12,336 Posts
What a darling! I don't think I would worry too much about how much he drinks in the first day or two - he may be thirsty after a journey, your home may be warmer than he is used to, etc, etc. If he is constantly thirsty after a few days, and urinating more than is normal (hard to tell with puppies, who are pee machines at the best of times), perhaps mention it to your vet.

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
What a beautiful face your puppy has! Water should be available at all times. Restricting water can lead to kidney infections (UTIs) When they are drinking excessively, you should consult your Vet. Of course, pups pee what seems like constantly LOL!!!

Reactions: Streetcar

·
Registered
41 Posts
Normal total water intake for a dog (post-weaning) is 40-60 mL/kg/day. I'm not sure how much your standard puppy weighs (I have toy poodles), but assuming he is around 5 kg (11 lb), that amounts to 200-300 mL/day. This will vary a little based on ambient temperature, and remember that this is total water intake (so if you feed tinned food, this will decrease).
I personally do limit access to water after 8pm just to make toilet training a little bit easier (and do not leave water in the crate overnight). Each to their own however :)
He is very cute - all the best !

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
He’s an adorable puppy, such a sweet expression on his face. Does he have a name?

·
Registered
3,526 Posts
Wow Very handsome boy, he looks big in the photo! I really like his look. My st poodle has always been a big drinker. However I don't keep water in his crate.

·
Premium Member
9,616 Posts
Congratulations on your handsome puppy! The first week or so, as they are getting used to their new home, they’re almost too excited to eat or drink normally. Don’t panic, like I did and think he suddenly doesn’t like the food etc. If food and water is available, he will not starve or die of thirst, I was assured by PF members:) They were right!

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Aww he is a sweet looking pup! For the first couple of days I wouldn't worry too much about either food or water consumption as long as he gets a little something. Remember he has had his world turned upside down. Just work on making him feel safe and letting him get to know you all. Routines for food and water can start after the initial surprise wears off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks all! His name is Ziibi. I took the week off to do crate/potty training and not putting water in the crate so trying to make sure he's getting enough. Seems to be eating/drinking fine.

I'm also balancing trying to introduce my 4 year old Maine Coon cat. Anyone have suggestions there? Ziibi was raised around cats (part of the reason I chose the breeder) and he hasn't even looked at her when she has peaked her head out, but she's stayed in the basement most of the time. I think if she can accept him she will actually like the company. I'm sure it takes time, I'm just impatient! MVIMG_20181206_083444.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
22,964 Posts
Thanks all! His name is Ziibi. I took the week off to do crate/potty training and not putting water in the crate so trying to make sure he's getting enough. Seems to be eating/drinking fine.

I'm also balancing trying to introduce my 4 year old Maine Coon cat. Anyone have suggestions there? Ziibi was raised around cats (part of the reason I chose the breeder) and he hasn't even looked at her when she has peaked her head out, but she's stayed in the basement most of the time. I think if she can accept him she will actually like the company. I'm sure it takes time, I'm just impatient! View attachment 444949

Be patient! Everything will take time, but if you take is slowly and carefully the first time through with things you will be more likely to get to where you need to be without having to go back and redo training.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm also balancing trying to introduce my 4 year old Maine Coon cat. Anyone have suggestions there? Ziibi was raised around cats (part of the reason I chose the breeder) and he hasn't even looked at her when she has peaked her head out, but she's stayed in the basement most of the time. I think if she can accept him she will actually like the company. I'm sure it takes time, I'm just impatient!
I would just make sure that they both have places where they can safely retreat to get away from each other and expect it to take two weeks or more. Most of our cats avoid our now 2yo standard poodle. He's still got too much puppy energy for their tastes and can be a little pushy (literally pushing them with his nose) in an effort to try to get them to play with him. Our Maine Coon finally got fed up with him and put him in his place with a barrage of swats. She's the least dominate cat in our household and he now gives her a wide berth when ever he sees her. The newest addition to our house is a two year old cat that actually started play batting at him by the second or third day after we brought her home. Each dog cat pairing will take a different amount of time to develop their relationship, and like most things with cats can evolve over time.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

I'm also balancing trying to introduce my 4 year old Maine Coon cat. Anyone have suggestions there? Ziibi was raised around cats (part of the reason I chose the breeder) and he hasn't even looked at her when she has peaked her head out, but she's stayed in the basement most of the time. I think if she can accept him she will actually like the company. I'm sure it takes time, I'm just impatient! View attachment 444949

Make sure you leave him alone on and off so he doesn’t get distressed when you go back to work.

I really like his name ! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Make sure you leave him alone on and off so he doesn’t get distressed when you go back to work.

I really like his name ! :)
Thanks! We have been practicing crate time both while I'm home doing some chores and with no one home. So far he seems to do great. Luckily my job has enough flexibility and I live really close, that I will be coming home several times per day this week to let him out and do a short play. End of the week my son comes home from college and he'll be on dog duty- which could turn out interesting with those two alone- lol. (He already has the rule sheet :) )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I would just make sure that they both have places where they can safely retreat to get away from each other and expect it to take two weeks or more. Most of our cats avoid our now 2yo standard poodle. He's still got too much puppy energy for their tastes and can be a little pushy (literally pushing them with his nose) in an effort to try to get them to play with him. Our Maine Coon finally got fed up with him and put him in his place with a barrage of swats. She's the least dominate cat in our household and he now gives her a wide berth when ever he sees her. The newest addition to our house is a two year old cat that actually started play batting at him by the second or third day after we brought her home. Each dog cat pairing will take a different amount of time to develop their relationship, and like most things with cats can evolve over time.
Yes! Cat has full run of the basement/house and Ziibi is only upstairs. Both days this weekend she snuck upstairs when he was sleeping/quiet and got within a few feet of him. I still think she is trying to figure out what he is. He completely ignores her. I'm hoping she realizes that he is not a threat and will join us back on the main level- although the basement is part of our living area too so she is still getting attention.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts