Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
How is it going sleep wise..?
His sleep or ours? The first night, we put his crate next to the bed, but he still cried for a very long time. I don't think any of us got much sleep. I had tried tossing treats in the crate and feeding him in the crate before bedtime. We moved the crate downstairs to the living room, attached to an ex-pen. Topper HATES his crate, and screams for 15 minutes or more every time we put him in the crate. I put a plush toy and a chew toy in the crate with him, and put the Snuggle Puppy next to the crate at night.After a while, he does settle down. He also cries when we put him in the ex-pen connected to the crate, and when either of us leaves the living room that we have gated off from the rest of the house. We make sure he has plenty of toys available. He prefers to nap in our laps.
Is the crying because everything is so new to him, or is it separation anxiety?

·
Super Moderator
2,773 Posts
Is the crying because everything is so new to him, or is it separation anxiety?
At this point probably mostly the newness. Think about his life up until now. Every waking and sleeping moment was probably spent in the company of his mom, some of his siblings, and/or a human who was handling him. Suddenly instead of sleeping in a puppy pile he is sleeping all alone. It's a bit of a shock.

·
Registered
169 Posts
At this point probably mostly the newness. Think about his life up until now. Every waking and sleeping moment was probably spent in the company of his mom, some of his siblings, and/or a human who was handling him. Suddenly instead of sleeping in a puppy pile he is sleeping all alone. It's a bit of a shock.
Thank you for the reassuring comments, cowpony. Poor little pup has had his world turned upside down. He seems to be coping a bit better today, and I hope that each day he will get more confident.

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm in a puddle of I-WANT-PUPPY tears scrolling through this thread! What an adorable little crew.

For all you new puppy owners, this month's Trick Club is for you: Trick Club: November 2020

Teaching a solid "Touch" was the first skill we learned in puppy class, and we've used it every day since. Peggy is now 17 months old. :)

I'd put the usefulness of this command right up there with sit.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We are newish! Cody (spoo) is 5 months old, here with us since late July.

And thanks for the link to the trick club! I need new training ideas. We just finished first session of training class and the insane Covid numbers here are giving me pause on starting the next session right now.

Here are a few recent pics. He is so hard to photograph, between never sitting still, being black, and so shaggy!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We are newish! Cody (spoo) is 5 months old, here with us since late July.

And thanks for the link to the trick club! I need new training ideas. We just finished first session of training class and the insane Covid numbers here are giving me pause on starting the next session right now.

Here are a few recent pics. He is so hard to photograph, between never sitting still, being black, and so shaggy!
Such a cute shaggy guy. :)

I'm glad you were able to get a first class in despite covid. Having that foundation is so important, and I'm sure you've got lots to practise now. Just make sure Cody keeps seeing a variety of people, dogs, vehicles, etc. and associating them with positive things.

At 17 months, Peggy's so good at home now, some days we forget she's still an adolescent. But ongoing socialization is important and covid isolation definitely caused some setbacks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is Luka, a silver poodle that I had no idea were a thing. I looked to soccer for inspiration on puppy names so he is named after Luka Modrić. I named my mom’s Maltese puppy Toni, after Toni Kroos so I definitely have a theme going. He turned 3 months old this week and definitely needs a haircut.

068E7864-ABFA-4E15-AACC-482FCF83B1A9.jpeg 4C395859-609C-4E7E-93C3-B976542622B2.jpeg A8A73480-A2A7-41DA-8E83-3976D2BB794F.jpeg

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is Dobby (my boys love Harry Potter). He was born 8/2 and we have had him for 5 weeks now. Dobby is our first poodle (standard), dog and puppy. Potty training has been frustrating at times but not as frustrating as the nipping. That’s the main reason I joined the forum. I was enjoying the older posts about landsharking. That’s the perfect term. Dobby prefers outside sticks & the Petstages Dogwood sticks to any Nylabone that I’ve bought.
08DA46D8-BEEF-4209-85E2-B064D40D6B9B.jpeg

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
What adorable puppies!!

I am going to post a link to a stickied thread here about introducing puppies to grooming. I am seeing a lot of first time Poodle owners, and getting puppies tolerant of being groomed is one of the most important frustration-and-stress-saving things you can work on with a young poodle puppy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I found a local poodle groomer who does quick puppy grooms to get him used to it - just face/feet/tail at first, every few weeks. It did surprise me how far in advance I had to book - it seems as if the good groomers around here who know poodles have full books already. She told me that she only makes space for spoos now.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts