Poodle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! We will be picking up our standard poodle pup at 9 weeks old at the end of July. The car ride is about 5.5 hours with no traffic. How can we plan stops, if any? Clearly I will avoid rest areas, but should I get out of the car at all or just plan on towels and puppy pads? I feel badly that it's such a long trip for the little one and want to do what's safest and least stessful! Fortunately the breeder is amazing and is going to take the pup on lots of car rides ahead of time.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I'm sure it will be fine. Mine dealt with a 12 hour ride home without incident. He slept most of the way. Just bring extra towels. I brought four xpen panels and pee pads to put down so we wouldn't have to put the pup on the ground. But some people also just drive to secluded side roads where risk is minimal.

·
Premium Member
23,162 Posts
Bring paper towels and some chlorox type wipes. Take a towel or something that can serve as a puppy blanket and rub it on mom before you leave with your pup or even ask the breeder if you can send her acouple of baby blankies for her to put with mom and litter mates a few days before people start picking up and have her leave them not to be peed on but for sleeping. the familiar scent will help in transiting to your home.

We had abut the same length trip to pick up Peeves. We had to bring Lily with us since she is only about 7 weeks older than he is and couldn't stay home herself all that time. She slept in the back seat. We took turns holding Peeves in the front passenger seat and I remember putting him down by my feet a couple of times. We did stop a couple of times to switch driving and we did give both pup potty breaks but we stayed far from the designated dog areas. They did fine.

You have plenty of time to get ready so I am sure everything will work out just fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,473 Posts
You've had good advice so far. Pogo and Snarky slept for most of the ride when I brought them home. We did stop for a potty break. I got off the highway and pulled into a deserted and apparently bankrupt office park instead of using the dog area at a truck stop. I figured there would be a lot less dog waste on the lawn, since people don't normally walk dogs at unattractive suburban office parks.

We didn't stop for Galen at all. I was very happy I'd brought extra towels for him. He got car sick. Blech.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
In terms of cleanup, plan for the worst lol. Diarrhea, vomiting, pee... you'd rather be over prepared than not have anything to clean with. But chances are it will be fine.

·
Super Moderator
5,147 Posts
We had a similar drive home with Peggy, and I brought an absorbent pad for my lap, but she slept pretty much the whole way. We did stop in a couple of parking lots and she peed each time.

The only thing I would do differently is time it so we didn't have to drive in the dark. She was so sleepy (and probably overwhelmed) by the end of the drive, she got really freaked out by the dark windows and all the reflected lights. Looking at it from a puppy's perspective, it IS pretty strange.

Almost a year later, she can still get spooked by reflections in a black window.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I always do puppy pads. toys I leave it in whatever I use to pick them up in. and larger I put on the floor board. now I have a van so when I stop for gas I open the back and have them laid down so they have walking room. I agree with Peggy on the avoiding night if possible.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Also ask her not too feed a large meal prior like a few hours before your expected arrival that way pups tummy has time to digest. then feed little amounts as little treats on the way back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts