Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Randy is not feeling well. I noticed on Monday he wasn't eating as good. Wasn't to alarmed because he was acting fine. Went for our vet check today and he has a yeast ear infection. The vet checked stools and they were fine. He was little concerned because he was so thin. And to keep him on puppy food. Since about 4:00 today he has been sleeping alot, acting weak and doesn't want to play. And now I am very worried about him. I am taking him back to the vet tomorrow. Could it be his ears making him feel bad? oh what a long night this will be!

·
Registered
12,183 Posts
No, his ears would be making him scratch and would be tender, but would not make him act like this. It is a good thing you are going tomorrow. Try offering him some cooked chicken or soup broth and make sure he drinks. You do not want him to dehydrate. Keep us posted, okay...

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I am so sorry your puppy is sick. :( Is he current on all his shots? Has he been around any dogs that are sick? Can you check if he is running a fever?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is 5 and 1/2 months old. The breeder got him all his shots, he even had his rabies. Only had him a week. Tell me how to check temp.

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Tell me how to check temp.
Rectally... I have a couple of "pets only" thermometers that I keep in my pet first aid kit... Normal dog temperatures are higher than humans... 100-102 would be normal - anything higher or lower than that would indicate a problem. There are probably youtube videos you could find... Good luck and best wishes for the puppy's health!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
oh noooooo :crying: I am so sorry to hear that :( !!! Poor baby : (((...

Did vet gave any anti-fungal meds for his ear ???

My spoo once had bacterial ear infection and he actually run a fever :( and was lethargic !!! I was scared out of my vits before the exam since I feared the worst - parvo or something . I was crying whole night before I could take him to the vet (no vet ER back in those days : ((( )

The vet irrigated his ear with some special solution and gave me antibiotic drops for his ear and he was up and running next day : )!!! Hopefully it will be the same case with your pup !!!!!! But I can only imagine your frustration and worry right now *sigh... Did he get any shots recently ??? Sometimes shots can make puppies "down" for a day or two :rolffleyes:

Please let us know how is he doing : ((( ! And yes - keep him hydrated - that is very important !

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh noooooo :crying: I am so sorry to hear that :( !!! Poor baby : (((...

Did vet gave any anti-fungal meds for his ear ??? He gave him Otomax

My spoo once had bacterial ear infection and he actually run a fever :( and was lethargic !!! I was scared out of my vits before the exam since I feared the worst - parvo or something . I was crying whole night before I could take him to the vet (no vet ER back in those days : ((( )Ditto

The vet irrigated his ear with some special solution and gave me antibiotic drops for his ear and he was up and running next day : )!!! Hopefully it will be the same case with your pup !!!!!! But I can only imagine your frustration and worry right now *sigh... Did he get any shots recently ???He gave him intranasal bordetella today Sometimes shots can make puppies "down" for a day or two :rolffleyes:

Please let us know how is he doing : ((( ! And yes - keep him hydrated - that is very important !
I hope and pray that it is nothing serious. I will definitely post tomorrow an update

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I will be keeping both of you in my prayers tonight : ( ! It could be that stupid Bordetella vaccine @: [ maybe . I looked it up for you and found many sites with info like this :

"The Bordetella Vaccine, or Kennel Cough Vaccine, is usually given to canine puppies many times throughout the first year in a series of numerous shots, and then yearly as a booster.

Although it is given so frequently, the bordetalla shot is often unnecessary. Many vets are becoming aware of the need to only administer this vaccine on a case to case basis, and only recommending it to dogs that are frequently around a large number of dogs, as in the case of show dogs.

The reason veterinarians are becoming hesitant to administer such a vaccine is the substantial evidence showing it can cause mild to extreme adverse reactions in your pet.

The bordetella vaccine side effects can include soreness and a lump at the injection site, hives, lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, breathing difficulties, lameness."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope that it is just this- his reaction to immunization and that he will be over it in no time !!!:hug:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
It wasn't the injectable, it was the intranasal. I wasn't crazy about giving him the bordetella but in order to do the obedience classes with him he has to have it. We are starting classes on the 30th of this month...
How do I get him to drink/I just tried and he wouldn't. Hey he is drinking for me.
Do you think it could be the vaccine?

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
It really does not matter if it was injectible or nasal form - exposure to virus can cause reaction like that :(.

Do you have baby-dropper ??? I would let him lay on his side comfortably and drip some water in his mouth from time to time - he will swallow instinctively. Just go little by little. Also - some dogs like to chew on a ice-cube - but poor baby is probably not in a mood to chew anything : (. *sigh.. As long as his nose is wet and inside of the mouth moist and not sticky - he is probably not very dehydrated but it is better to stay on top of it.

I hope some members will come up with more ideas soon !!!:help:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I feel better that he has drank some water for me. I hope tomorrow brings a brighter day and some answers. I have a feeling now that maybe it is the vaccine. Once he is feeling better I got to get some weight on him. Does anybody have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Also, sometimes if a Vet is not Familiar with a poodle, they assume that they are too thin. He may not actually be too thin, just normal. Do you have picture you could show us?
Most people would say Saffy is way too thin, she probably is a little bit, but she is very healthy and a good(ish) weight, especially cos she so active! which is probably why she is so thin

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have pictures on my profile page, but he is in a puppy show coat and you can't tell. He weighs 30lbs and is around 20 inches at 5 1/2 months old. But he feels boney to me.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sounds on the thin side to me. Sometimes puppies won't eat well after coming to a new home. You may want to make some satin balls to fatten him up. You should be able to feel ribs, but the indentations between the ribs shouldn't be very pronounced. If he feels too boney, try to fatten him up a bit.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
How many ribs can you easily feel at the end of them? 1 or 2 prominently and the rest just under the skin?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Long night and Randy is no better. He did eat a little and drank for me. His pooped this morning and that his poops are nice and firm. I think I heard some rattling in throat this morning. His eyes have some drainage. And he was very hot so I feel like he is carrying a fever. Don't have a dog thermometer so can't check. He has vet appt this morning @ eleven (eastern standard time). Please keep Randy in your prayers. I will let you know what the vet says.
And thank you for caring..
And for you WishPoo my friend :hug:

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Long night and Randy is no better. He did eat a little and drank for me. His pooped this morning and that his poops are nice and firm. I think I heard some rattling in throat this morning. His eyes have some drainage. And he was very hot so I feel like he is carrying a fever. Don't have a dog thermometer so can't check. He has vet appt this morning @ eleven (eastern standard time). Please keep Randy in your prayers. I will let you know what the vet says.
And thank you for caring..
And for you WishPoo my friend :hug:
Poor thing. Please keep us posted and I hope everything works out.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Sometimes, rarely, they get a little touch of bronchitis/bordatella from the vaccine itself, we see it very rarely at our clinic, but it does happen.

It is kind of like feeling dumpy after a flu shot, or kids getting cranky/fevered after their shots.

Poor little dude, I'm certain he will be fine in no time. Keep us posted on what your vet says.

As far as the thin thing goes, Flip went through stages like a teenage boy, where he would get really thin and go through a growth spurt in height, then fill out again, lather, rinse, repeat. :)

·
Registered
145 Posts
Satin Balls are supplemental food you can use to add weight to a dog. I actually use a reciped called Fat Satin Balls. There are several different recipes on the internet, but I will give you my recipe below.

My show boy is very finicky eater....not food driven at all and picks at his food no matter what it is. He is also very active, we play acrobatic games of fetch every day, he loves it, so he burns off what he eats. He is too thin and needs some weight on him to be more competitive.

My recipe is: 1 block cream cheese, 1 small box total cereal, 1 cup wheat germ, 6 eggs, 2.5 lbs hamburger, 1/2 carton small heavy cream. Mix this all together with your hands like you were making a meat loaf. Form into balls (I use about golf ball sized but you can go smaller or bigger depending on your dog) and freeze on cookie sheet. Then put into ziplocks (I put about 1/3 of the balls in each large ziplock and keep two bags in freezer while using the other one). I feed him about 2-4 satin balls a day. The keep well and are easy to deal with. I give them to him in between feedings, as if he knows they are coming after his meal he won't eat his regular food at all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts