Poodle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I first posted here a few weeks ago and you guys were very helpful. :) We just bought a new puppy (she is an almost 12-week old toy poodle). We also have a 3-4 year old poodle, Monkey (neutered male).

OK - they get along pretty well. When they play, it gets a little rough sometimes - with a little tiny puppy yelp (nothing major, I'm watching him - it's more like he'll pin her down and she'll yelp). I've been calling him off of her and sending him to the couch to relax a bit...

But, I'm noticing that SHE is getting grouchier with HIM since I've done this. She will growl when he comes over (if she's sitting on our lap, or has a toy she likes at the moment) and snap at him - like she thinks she's the boss.

I think it'd be best if he stays the dominant dog (he's awwwwesome and I want her looking UP to him, lol), so should I let him play with her more often and doggishly show her who's boss?

There's no way he'd hurt her, but I didn't think I wanted him in a habit of "tackle!! playplayplayplay!!" every time we bring Apple out of her crate, kwim?

This is the first time in over 20 years that we've had two indoor dogs (when I was a kid) - so I'm a mite rusty on these little details. :thinking:

Here's our little Apple. She has the loveliest face and she's been awesome so far (a whole 5 days, lol).

·
Registered
210 Posts
She is really cute! i have no idea if you can pick who's going to be dominate. I had heard so long as there are less than 3 dogs you really should be the dominate one but after 3 the dogs they are a 'pack' and they sort of set up more of a pack order. I don't know if this is true or not. I have also heard that females can be more dominate over a nutered male. Again there are probly more experts on the forum about this than me.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Apple is very cute and I think that she and Monkey will eventually work it out, unfortunatly we do not get to choose for them who will be the domin, one if we keep trying it would cause more animosity between the two. As far as her nipping and growling at him, I would make sure to nip that in the bud, if you allow her to do that while she is in your lap, you are giving her the impression it is ok, and it is not and if you do not stop it she will start doing that with humas when they come near you as well. Good luck and I hope I helped.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Thats why females are called bitchs :pound: they usually are the dominant ones no matter how young.

If she growls/bites when he is coming to you, she is protecting you and being jealous. I would put a stop to this, when she does it, say NO, with a tone and put her on the floor. If she jumps up, put her back down. Put both on your lap after a few attempts, and everytime she does it, Nooo, and put her down.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Thats why females are called bitchs :pound: they usually are the dominant ones no matter how young.

If she growls/bites when he is coming to you, she is protecting you and being jealous. I would put a stop to this, when she does it, say NO, with a tone and put her on the floor. If she jumps up, put her back down. Put both on your lap after a few attempts, and everytime she does it, Nooo, and put her down.
Very well said.

We have three dogs (2 spoos, 1 havanese) and my standard neutered male is THE alpha, leader of the pack. He is not only that way at home but at the dog park and all the dogs know it. lol He held his own with pits, mastiffs, dobbies and shepherds. Thank goodness I have great control over him, as I insist that I am the real alpha.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. He's making himself a little more assertive, so I think they'll work it out for the best.

I do put her down immediately when she nips if she's on my lap when she does it. Definitely. Some of the time, too, it's when she has a toy she likes and he comes near her.

I just couldn't quite remember if puppy/dog play-fighting is a "good" thing, or if it was something that should be interfered with. I've been letting it go and they're getting bored with one another more quickly. She's getting more used to him, now that he's been a little bossier towards her, and she hasn't growled at him all day when we've gotten her out to play. Hopefully that trend will continue.

She is a truly awesome puppy so far. Couldn't be happier. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts