Poodle Forum banner

New puppy coming in July! Calgary

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jacklynn 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am very excited to be welcoming a sweet white standard poodle boy into my home this July. I’m from Calgary, AB in Canada and am getting him (Galileo? Charlie? Final name pending...) from seransil poodles. I’m a first time poodle owner and while I’ve done my research, I know I have a lot to learn along the way! I’m starting to gather all the things I need to make his transition to my home easier and comfortable.

I was wondering what everybody’s list of absolute puppy essentials are? Favorite products, brands, must haves, etc.

Looking forward to everyone’s advice! Will share pictures once he’s home. And if there are any poodle owners near to me, let me know :)

thanks!

#2 ·
Hi and Welcome!

I'll post a general list, with a few tips, below til more folks drop by.
Happy Puppy to you!

New Pup/Dog startup
Crates, Carriers, Exercise Pens, Beds/Bedding, Travel
Harnesses, Collars, Leashes
Food, Water, Bowls
Enzyme Cleaner, Pee pads, Poo bags, Paper Towels
Toys
Grooming
Health, Vet, Vaccinations Vs Socialization, Insurance, Care Credit, Emergency funds
Puppy proofing inside and out, including kitties

This is really more your basic startup info. It's taken from other threads and posts that many active members of PF has contributed to. I hope more Pfer's will add to this, comment or correct any mistakes.

Crates, Carriers, Exercise Pens, Beds/Bedding, Travel
Crates

Hard side/wire is best for early days. Look for one with a divider in the size you expect them to grow into and use the divider to keep them comfortably cozy (stand up, turn around, sleep) til then. Use a blanket as a crate cover. Use a washable bath rug/towels or sherpa crate mat for bedding. Put something leak proof on the floor of the crate or under it. Depending on the layout of the house/apt, consider 2 crates, one for the sleeping space, one for the living space.

If you can manage it, have the pup sleep in your bedroom. They just think they're on an adventure until bedtime, especially the first night, rolls around. Suddenly they realize that NOTHING is familiar, no scent, warmth or comfort of mom or siblings. They are Alone. Ask the breeder to do this or bring a towel or blanket to get mom and siblings scent on it, to comfort them. Keeping them in the same room allows you to hear if they are unwell or need to go out. Expect to have the young ones out several times during the night for a while. Set a periodic alarm to beat them to it.
Don't count on a lot of sleep the first days or weeks. Taking a few days off from work or work from home, if you can, will really help set routines and gives some time to get to know each other. Find out if the breeder had them on a daily routine and try to follow that for a few days. They're facing so many instant and incomprehensible changes. Keep what you can the same for a while.

Ex Pen
This expands their relaxation space but keeps them contained and out of mischief. Food and water bowls as well as pee pads can be in that space. Use a leak proof flooring here also.
These can be plastic or wire or even pop up soft side.

Beds and bedding
This may depend on the pups age and what they're used to. A young pup probably doesn't need one just yet. An older pup or dog may already be using one. Sherpa type crate mats with low bolsters are an inexpensive and washable way to start.

Carrier
These are generally only good up to about 15lbs but have their place. A smaller crate with handles can double as a carrier.

Travel
Keeping your pup comfortable and safe in the car is important. Depending on size and age, you might use a carrier, a crate, or a harness with seat belts.
Sleepypod brand is a highest safety rated product. Testing was done by the independent Center for Pet Safety, with some testing sponsored by Subaru.

Harnesses, Collars and Leashes
Harnesses are usually a better safety choice for smaller pups due to potential trachea injury from collars, but it may not be the best choice for a pup who wants to pull.
Collars will carry tags and ID but don't have to be worn inside the home.

Food, Water, Bowls
It's best to keep them on the same food as the breeder had for a while. They're already under stress from the abrupt change in their lives and this is one thing that doesn't usually need to change immediately. They may go off their feed as it is, so keep an eye on that. Toys are especially subject to hypoglycemia. This can very quickly become fatal. Look for the sticky on it. If/when you want to change foods, a good go to is Dog Food Advisor.
Stainless steel or ceramic is best for their food and water bowls. You might even consider filling a bottle with the water they've been drinking and mix it with their new home water.

Enzyme Cleaner, Pee pads, Poo bags, Paper Towels, Bitter Apple Spray
Pretty much all self explanatory. Natures Miracle is usually recommended for enzyme cleaner. Bitter Apple Spray is to keep them from mouthing and biting on what you don't want them to.

Toys
Have a small selection of several different types on hand to start and see what Pup prefers. Check with your vet for safe chewing toys. They also work as trade to get your fingers back
Puzzle toys are good, and Kongs to hide kibble and treats are helpful.
Not exactly a toy, but something to consider is the Smart Pet Love Snuggle Puppy toy. This can help soothe a pup.

Grooming
I hope others will have specific suggestions for combs, brushes, shampoos…
It is important to get them used to the grooming process asap. The longer you wait, the harder it is on the pup and whoever's doing the grooming.
It does not hurt their coat to get a puppy trimmed

Health, Vet, Vaccinations Vs Socialization, Insurance, Care Credit, Emergency funds
Ask if any other dog on the premises has been ill in the last week or so. Choose a vet if you don't have one and know where the ER clinic is. Have the pup checked out by a vet within a day or two of homecoming whether the breeder requires it or not. Puppies can socialize with vaccinated adult dogs, and probably known puppies who aren't fully vaccinated yet. Best to stay away from paws on the ground at places a lot of dogs might be til yours is fully vaccinated. People are not usually any risk or at risk.
Consider pet insurance, at least for the first year or two, or sign up for Care Credit if there is a health emergency. If you can, a healthy four figure separate savings account dedicated to emergencies can be a life saver, literally.
Keep a first aid kit and learn some first aid procedures.

Puppy proofing inside and out, including kitties
Check your fencing if there is any. You want to keep things out as well as puppy in. Check your plant life for possible toxic plants.
Inside keep cords and cables covered or out of reach. Anything puppy level is at risk.

Besides pet stores, there is Amazon, Chewy.com, and eBay and Etsy for supplies. Other brick and mortar stores if they're nearby are Tuesday Morning, Marshall's, HomeGoods, Sierra Trading Post and TJ Maxx. The last two are also online.

#4 ·
I always suggest a pair of slide on slippers or shoes by the door for late night potty times. helps a lot not to have to try to wake up enough to find your tennis shoes, not to mention tying them.lol
Also Bitter Apple spray, it deters the dog from chewing on things that shouldn't be chewed on, shoes, furniture, etc.
also a baby blanket to take when you pick up puppy, rub it on mommy for her scent to help comfort puppy through the transition.

#6 ·
Very excited for you! Congratulations in advance and can’t wait for the pictures!!! Get a “flirt pole”. I found a sturdy model on Amazon, with a sturdy flap of leather, still a favorite. I call it poodle sport fishing. Your dog can get a workout inside, think bad weather, or it can be used as a training tool.
Make sure your First Aid Kit includes, Gas-x, (bloat) hydrogen peroxide and a syringe to induce vomiting. Roses thought of everything. Glad to hear you’ve made a good start. Passes the time...

#7 ·
Congratulations! I can't wait for pictures either! I am so excited to see your new baby. I love the name Galileo, not gonna lie! I agree with what everyone has said above!

I was born in Edmonton, but I live in Ontario now! I just got my first spoo a couple months ago, he's 10 months old now and he's the best dog I have ever owned, he's incredibly smart. You are never going to want another breed ever again! I want another one already, hehe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.