Poodle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have just become the owner of an 8 week old miniature pure bred apricot poodle (mainly for my daughter as a kind of therapy dog)
I suffer from allergies (asthma and eczema) so this is why Webern fit a poodle.
Does anyone know how soon the allergies would start? She’s only been with us 24 hours but my daughter has already fallen in love with her.. (so have we) and couldn’t bare to send her back.
or any help and advice anyone can give to keep allergies at bay ..
thank you
Nikki

·
Registered
532 Posts
Welcome!! Congrats!!

It's a good sign that you haven't felt itchy or scratchy yet. Hopefully it doesn't happen at all. However, at some point you'll have your face in irresistible soft poodle puppy hair and may feel sneezy, runny eyes, etc. A good bath in the kitchen sink with generic pet shampoo will help allergies at bay. (Don't forget to brush!!). Air purifier, clean environment, bath every 1-2 weeks.

There are a ton of good nuggets when you search "puppy allergies" in the search bar to see what's been discussed in the past in great detail.

It's normal if you feel a little overwhelmed too.

·
Super Moderator
7,952 Posts
Welcome, Nikki! And congrats on your new poodle. Would love to see some pics. :)

Allergies can show up as the puppy matures....or get worse....or even go away. It’s really hard to say. But we do have lots of members with similar concerns. I recommend entering “allergies” into the Poodle Forum search bar. You’ll find lots of discussions of this topic. Here’s a recent one: Advice please! Son with allergies - "trying before...

Are you feeling okay so far? Giving your puppy a bath with gentle, hypoallergenic shampoo can help, as can keeping her out of your bedroom and sleeping with the door closed and a HEPA air purifier running.

If I’m allergic to a dog, I know right away because I react to their nails and saliva. But everyone’s different.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Mine start within a few days of having the dog in the house, but I usually need 2 weeks to know if I can tolerate the dog or not.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts