Poodle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I are brand spanking new to poodles, so this is the first of MANY questions I'm sure we'll have. (Also probably the most complicated) We're going to pick up our new standard girl this weekend. She's 8 months old. The lady we're picking her up from just can't afford to take care of her. She's healthy, house/crate trained, and socialized. How are poodles with new people, and how do we make sure to bond with her since she's already got a close bond with someone else? We just want to give her as loving a home as her previous owner, and we plan to stay in touch. What are we in for? Also, is it too late for a name change? We don't particularly like the current one. Thanks so much for your advice!

·
Registered
478 Posts
No I wouldn't say it is too late for a name change. They learn so fast. I can't say much about adopting an older poo since I got mine as puppies but I know some others on here got theirs a bit older and I don't think they had any problems.
Can't wait to see pictures of your new girl. You'll love her!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually we already have a couple of pictures! Don't know why I didn't think to post them. Hopefully I'll get this right.

Thanks for the good news on the name front!

·
Registered
156 Posts
She is beautiful I changed the name of my poodle and she did fine she was three years old when we got her she is four now but we just called her by her new name from the day she came and she done just fine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I got my Gunther when he was 8 months old.
Poodles are very sensitive and the transition might take a bit of time.
Just give her love,allow her to get used to her new home and to you.
Keep a fairly simple routine going,so she knows what to expect.
She might not want to eat much the first few days,she might have an accident or two in the house.
All that is a 'might' only and within a few days,possibly longer,she should be fine.
As far as the name...I personally would wait a bit...there will be enough for her to deal with already.Let her keep her identity until she adapts to a new home....by then her name might grow on you.
Good luck,she is a beautiful girl.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
What a beautiful girl.... congratulations! You shouldn't have a problem changing her name, just give her time to settle in and get used to you and her new life. I got Grace at 6 months old and she really didn't have a name she came to and learned her name in a couple weeks. It did take her a little longer to understand she had a name and to settle in compared to getting a 12 week old pup, but she has settled in wonderfully and is the most loving of my poos. She absolutely LOVES to near mom.

Good luck and looking forward to seeing "new home" pics of your girl. :)

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
VERY beautiful girl!! I adore her. You shouldn't have any trouble with the name change, i've adopted dogs and changed it after they had a name for awhile without trouble. Good luck, can't wait to see more pics as she adjusts to living with you.

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
congratulations on your new dog! I wouldn't worry about a name change. They are very smart and she will get it soon enough. I got my Billy at 3 1/2 months old and he was very attached to his breeder. It took him a couple of weeks to adjust to his new home and then he bonded to me easily after that. They just love to be loved and since you have plenty of that to give to her, she should bond with you without trouble.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Awww, she is so beautiful and so feminine. :)* You've got a lot of good advice, just love and enjoy her there is really nothing quite like a standard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts