Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 169 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got my puppy five days ago and have been watching her like a hawk, she's amazing and so clever picking everything up so quickly. She's perfect!

Yesterday we had some visitors and someone accidentally left some spicy crisps (potato chips) on the floor. Which she of course tried to eat. She managed to get one before I caught her.

She was fine at first then had quite a big reaction, she was sick 5-6 times and then pooped so I took her to the vets. She stayed in on a drip overnight as they were worried about dehydration, they also gave her B Complex and Serenia. She's back home now, but I am a wreck. She's slept for an hour, hasn't eaten or drank yet (we've been home nearly two hours). But she's pooped (diarrhoea).

How long until I should be concerned about her not eating? Should I let her sleep as long as she needs?

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
How terrifying - I am not surprised you are a wreck. If she was on a drip until just a few hours ago I would let her sleep a little longer, but have something bland and nutritious ready to give her. Did your vet recommend anything? Perhaps rice cooked with a little chicken and plenty of water. Avoid anything fatty at this stage, so remove the skin from the chicken. She may be more ready to drink the water the chicken is cooked in than plain water, too. And if all else fails and she is not eating you could try rubbing a little glucose or honey on her gums, to keep up her blood sugar levels - but if she is still not eating later in the day I would call your vets for advice.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you it was and is terrifying. I feel a huge amount of guilt and regret, for not watching more carefully. The vet said if she keeps diarrhea then come back for probiotics.

He also said try wet food, but all I have is the Royal Canin starter dry food and the breeder said dont give her anything else.

So confusing, just want to make her better. I'll let her sleep and try the honey later. The water does have baby lyte sugar solution in so hopefully thats helping.

·
Super Moderator
880 Posts
Oh, poor baby. When my guys have intestinal problems I cook 1/2 cup rice with 1 pound ground chicken (or the leanest ground turkey or beef i can get if chicken isn't possible) with lots of water into a porridge.

I hope she feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
Poor puppy :(

I feed sick dogs:

Plain white chicken, boiled in water. No fat. No seasoning. Plain white rice, boiled in water. No fat. No seasoning.

Don't push it, but keep a bit available (not for more than an hour or two at room temperature, maximum, then discard due to bacteria growth).

Licking a frozen banana can also be nice.

But it sounds like puppy just needs to rest. I'm actually amazed a single chip would have such an extreme effect. :( Hope recovery is quick and complete.

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
If the water has sugar solution in it that should mean you don't need to try honey - it is just a way of keeping calorie levels up while she is not eating. A bland diet is pretty universally recommended for gastric upsets in puppies - if you can contact the breeder I am sure they would agree. White rice cooked until very soft in plenty of water to make a gruel, with just a little chicken to flavour the water. Feed just the rice at first, then add in a tiny bit of chicken as she improves. Once the diarrhoea stops you can begin to reintroduce the puppy food, perhaps moistening it with warm water to help keep her hydrated. Remember her tummy is tiny - a few teaspoonfuls several times a day is enough.

Don't beat yourself up too much - very few of us get through the puppy raising months without misadventures of one kind or another. If it is not crisps it is lamb fat and spicy houmous (Poppy - Christmas night, too...), socks or rocks (lots of PF pups), chocolate, or some other brief moment of inattention followed by frantic calls to the vet. Puppies can be amazingly resilient - she will probably bounce back a lot more quickly than you do!

·
Registered
6,356 Posts
Depending on how much she weighs, she can’t stay long without eating. How old is she and how much does she weigh ? In any case, I would give her anything she will eat that is healthy and has no seasoning or very blend.

Toy puppies, when small, can have hypoglycemia problems so extra care needs to be taken with them. I’m sure the vet explained all this to you though if it applies to your situation. But just in case.

Oh, and as soon as she’s out of the woods, go back to her regular food. You will notice she won’t want to eat it if she’s been given human food but you will need to persevere. One thing at a time. :)
If she will eat her regular canned food, then you won’t even have a problem !

·
Registered
12,108 Posts
How is she doing? I hope she is now eating and drinking again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you. Tried the chicken and rice and she’s not interested in anything yet. She’s drinking and has had probiotics and sugar syrup from the vet so they said try her again in the morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How is she doing? I hope she is now eating and drinking again.
Not yet. The vet said try her in the morning and if not eating then take her back 🙏🏼 The probiotic helped and her poops are back to normal. Praying she’s got her appetite back in the morning. I can’t believe how much a crisp has affected her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Depending on how much she weighs, she can’t stay long without eating. How old is she and how much does she weigh ? In any case, I would give her anything she will eat that is healthy and has no seasoning or very blend.

Toy puppies, when small, can have hypoglycemia problems so extra care needs to be taken with them. I’m sure the vet explained all this to you though if it applies to your situation. But just in case.

Oh, and as soon as she’s out of the woods, go back to her regular food. You will notice she won’t want to eat it if she’s been given human food but you will need to persevere. One thing at a time. :)
If she will eat her regular canned food, then you won’t even have a problem !
[/QUOTE

She’s 1.7kg. She had a very small bit of food but generally Still not eating. The vet gave me probiotic paste, special wet food and sugar syrup. She didn’t touch the wet food. It’s 3am here now, and the vet said try her again in the morning and if she doesn’t eat then bring her back in. 🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼🙏🏼

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Poor puppy :(

I feed sick dogs:

Plain white chicken, boiled in water. No fat. No seasoning. Plain white rice, boiled in water. No fat. No seasoning.

Don't push it, but keep a bit available (not for more than an hour or two at room temperature, maximum, then discard due to bacteria growth).

Licking a frozen banana can also be nice.

But it sounds like puppy just needs to rest. I'm actually amazed a single chip would have such an extreme effect. :( Hope recovery is quick and complete.
Thank you. Tried the chicken and rice and she’s not interested in anything yet. She’s drinking and has had probiotics and sugar syrup from the vet so they said try her again in the morning.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If the water has sugar solution in it that should mean you don't need to try honey - it is just a way of keeping calorie levels up while she is not eating. A bland diet is pretty universally recommended for gastric upsets in puppies - if you can contact the breeder I am sure they would agree. White rice cooked until very soft in plenty of water to make a gruel, with just a little chicken to flavour the water. Feed just the rice at first, then add in a tiny bit of chicken as she improves. Once the diarrhoea stops you can begin to reintroduce the puppy food, perhaps moistening it with warm water to help keep her hydrated. Remember her tummy is tiny - a few teaspoonfuls several times a day is enough.

Don't beat yourself up too much - very few of us get through the puppy raising months without misadventures of one kind or another. If it is not crisps it is lamb fat and spicy houmous (Poppy - Christmas night, too...), socks or rocks (lots of PF pups), chocolate, or some other brief moment of inattention followed by frantic calls to the vet. Puppies can be amazingly resilient - she will probably bounce back a lot more quickly than you do!
Thank your this kind and helpful response. This forum is so helpful and so much compassion.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One trick, discovered when my mothers small dog had a hypoglycemic seizure and wouldn't eat, was to smear something like yoghurt on the nose. Dogs are compelled to keep their nose clean, and sometimes just a tiny bit of food is enough to convince them they really are hungry.
Ah great thanks for the tip. Will try that if she doesn’t eat.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She just woke up, it’s 5:30am here and she had a little water with sugar solution and she ate! SHE ATE! Just a few little pieces of her dry food but she ate by herself. Thank you all sooooo much. I haven’t slept and could cry I’m so happy. This forum is so lovely and kind! Poodle owners must be the nicest ❤ Lots of love from me and little bow 🎀

1 - 20 of 169 Posts