Poodle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can’t believe we get our little boy this Sunday. We need to get a new crate for him. Ollie has a plastic one (since we got him at seven months, it’s 28” and fits him perfectly). Little boy is 10 weeks old and probably two pounds. Trying to decide if we should get a 21” plastic vari kennel or a slightly larger wire crate where we can adjust the size.

The plastic crate is cozier I think. But the wire crate is adjustable in size and I suppose we could put a blanket over it.

Bully sticks and Kong’s fall out of wire crates easily.

We will also put up a playpen for him with water and potty pad and bed (towels for now for easy clean up). We have a 24” high one but Ollie (our almost two year old) can jump that high and I worry he will try to jump in and hurt himself. So we probably need to get a 36” playpen. I’m thinking wire is better as it seems more sturdy than plastic?

Any suggestions? I need to buy these items ASAP! TIA for any help!

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
So exciting! I have a plastic IRIS 36" x pen for my mpoo pup and I love it! I don't know if each panel can be removed as easily with the wire ones. It's super simple to open the pen at any point, which I find good for cleaning messes. It also has little rubber feet on the panels so it won't scratch anything. I think the wire vs plastic crate is kind of personal choice. I prefer plastic for the reasons you mentioned, and I also find it nice and light to pick up. The good wire crates are heavy!

I would caution about use of towels. My pup will still immediately pee on any towel I set down, which seems a very hard habit to break when you no longer want that!

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
I vote for wire since it is adjustable and will help you with housebreaking. While housebreaking early on the crate should not be bigger than just a place to sleep, stand up, turn around and go back to sleep. You can't do that with a hard crate. And blanket over the crate, not in it. Absorbent bedding won't help the pup to understand not to pee.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great feedback so far!! Ok so no towels as a bed — what would be a good bed for in the crate then?

Ideal wire crate (adjustable) size?

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
We never gave our puppies any bedding in their crates since we worried about them chewing and choking. Javelin still prefers hard surfaces to sleep on for cooling purposes I think anyway. I made a fleece blanket for his crate last year. I still put it in his crate and the first thing he does is push it down to one end. I would measure your adult and base the crate size you buy on him so you don't end up with a puppy crate that baby dog outgrows. Move the divider instead to grow it as needed.

I would also say yes to a 36" ex pen.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
100% wired! They have a much smaller footprint and your dog can see out it. You can also use a divider with a wired one. The only downside is if you fly frequently with your dog

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Whatever you decide, keep in mind that there are likely thousands of lightly used crates stuffed away into garages and basements.

Bought brand new... used for a year, maybe... now hidden away.

Hope you find something that suits. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I’m going to get a wire crate and I think 24” adjustable is a good size? How do I measure our current dog to get the right size?

We are hiring our previous trainer and she said we will want to use the kennel way more than the playpen to get him used to potty training and holding it. And to really only use the playpen if we need to be gone for a couple hours. Do you all agree?

·
Premium Member
23,178 Posts
I would measure to the top of Ollie's head when he is standing up straight.

Countryboy made a good point about used crates too!

Reactions: Countryboy

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I have a 36" wire exercise pen. It is very heavy duty and sturdy. However, it is very heavy and can hurt a smaller dog if knocked over. We use it when we went camping for our 85lb and 65lb dogs. Although it is true, we don't use our crates or exercise pen at all anymore.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The very heavy part of 36” wire gives me pause.

We have the 24” wire one but wonder if Ollie will try to jump inside it when the puppy is in it?

There’s the IRIS plastic one but I’ve read some negative reviews about the connectors falling off and bring choking hazards.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
We own a 24” tall wire expen but it’s too low for Ollie as he jumps that high.

We also have this canvas one. Would this work? Definitely enough room for a small kennel, potty pad, and water.

Or should I just buy a 36” wire expen?
Did you use that canvas playpen when Ollie was a puppy? I ask because it looks similar to the one I had for Jasper when he was a puppy and he was able to get out from the bottom. I ended up buying a wire playpen made by Precision.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
This product is on the higher $$ side but is well made and can be easily configured in several ways. The top connecters actually lock in place and it is very easy to configure how you need. It comes in three heights. I got the low version for my boys and after they got main floor full access, I used it to block the stairs up to the next level. Their site has links to retailers so you can shop the best deal, if this seems like something you'd consider.

https://www.richellusa.com/pet-dog-kennels-playpens/convertible-indoor-outdoor-pet-playpen-6-panel/

Richell 1.jpg

Richell 2.jpg

Richell 3.jpg

Richell 4.jpg

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
I've used both. I've used wire for my big dogs because it is adjustable with the divider which aids in housebreaking. We use a primotie down crate pad which is vinyl. https://www.primopads.com/product/primo-pad-2/
We got wise to this with our boxer who chewed every bed to pieces.
Now for our cairn terrier, she has a small plastic crate and it sits in a plastic x-pen. This is the one we have https://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Play-Panel/dp/B00020L78M/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?creativeASIN=B00020L78M&linkCode=w61&imprToken=pnm974iTVl52b-j.zcYrnQ&slotNum=14&ie=UTF8&qid=1526949284&sr=8-9&keywords=plastic+dog+playpen&th=1
Now our cairn is 7 years old nd doesn't need it anymore however she insists this is where she wants to be at night, so her little crate sits in there with door open. We use to close her in at night as she became potted trained. I'd love to get this thing out of my kitchen but she will pace and whine all night if we don't pick her up and put her in. She is loose and free in the house all day. So this plastic crate, its heavier built hs held up very well for us. The wire opens we found our little dogs moved them around when they jumped up on them, this one stays pretty much in place.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
We own a 24” tall wire expen but it’s too low for Ollie as he jumps that high.

We also have this canvas one. Would this work? Definitely enough room for a small kennel, potty pad, and water.

Or should I just buy a 36” wire expen?
Did you use that canvas playpen when Ollie was a puppy? I ask because it looks similar to the one I had for Jasper when he was a puppy and he was able to get out from the bottom. I ended up buying a wire playpen made by Precision.
This one has a top and bottom that is zipped in! We didn’t use it at all yet.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've used both. I've used wire for my big dogs because it is adjustable with the divider which aids in housebreaking. We use a primotie down crate pad which is vinyl. https://www.primopads.com/product/primo-pad-2/
We got wise to this with our boxer who chewed every bed to pieces.
Now for our cairn terrier, she has a small plastic crate and it sits in a plastic x-pen. This is the one we have https://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Play-Panel/dp/B00020L78M/ref=sr_1_9_a_it?creativeASIN=B00020L78M&linkCode=w61&imprToken=pnm974iTVl52b-j.zcYrnQ&slotNum=14&ie=UTF8&qid=1526949284&sr=8-9&keywords=plastic+dog+playpen&th=1
Now our cairn is 7 years old nd doesn't need it anymore however she insists this is where she wants to be at night, so her little crate sits in there with door open. We use to close her in at night as she became potted trained. I'd love to get this thing out of my kitchen but she will pace and whine all night if we don't pick her up and put her in. She is loose and free in the house all day. So this plastic crate, its heavier built hs held up very well for us. The wire opens we found our little dogs moved them around when they jumped up on them, this one stays pretty much in place.
Looks nice but it is only 2” taller than the metal expen we have. The problem is that Ollie was able to jump it at 7 months when we got him and he would land on top of it (half over half still in) so we immediately put it away. I doubt the little pup would jump 24” but I worry Ollie would try to jump to get IN the playpen when the pup is inside.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Tammyw, I bought that same soft-playpen for my Standard Poodle, Norman. Granted this was used when he was much much smaller and lighter. I say to proceed with serious caution on that playpen. I had to start zipping the top of it up because he learned to push it over and walk out! This also made it become very flimsy... It worked great for a while, but granted he did become a bit heavy around 4 months old (maybe 20-30lbs).
But I finally had to stop using it because I found it completely collapsed on him!! Poor thing was trapped. This happened around 4 times and I just had enough of it. Couldn't imagine the fear he had!! I have extreme guilt not stopping the use of it after the first time!
I wish I could have gone with a full wire one like a gate!

I am sure these play pens can work if you dog does not get over 20 pounds! Just my opinion and personal experience :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts