Poodle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we’re 20 days away before puppy comes home. I have everything needed but pee pads and chews which I’ll pick up the day before puppy or the morning I leave. But I need suggestions for chews. None of my toys ever liked the hard rubbery toy chews and the only thing I can seem to think of are the dentastyx. So I was hoping some others with tpoos had some ideas?

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
I haven't seen these before! what happens when you puff them?
When there's just a small piece left, we pop it in the microwave and watch it carefully. Can take 30-90 seconds to puff up, but you don't want it to burn. Let it sit for 10 minutes or so, until it's not hot when you hold it tightly in your palm (or stick it in the freezer for 5) and then it's just a yummy, crunchy treat.

Peggy waits so patiently for hers.

Sometimes we'll even puff them when there's still a good amount left, and then let her enjoy it in her pen to contain the mess.

Edit: My favourite part is that they smell good (unlike bully sticks), are highly digestible (unlike rawhide), and don't get slimy (unlike bully sticks or rawhide).

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Chew toys are tricky. They need to be soft enough that a puppy mouth can work them, but not so hard that they might injure their mouth, and strong enough that they don't get chunked off and swallowed. Check with your vet for suggestions and look for options that are puppy rated.
This is a page that Skylar linked to in another thread.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The yak chews are a big hit with my boys but as puppies we gave Nylabone puppy bones, which they chewed off tiny bits of and swallowed, fortunately without repercussions. We also gave Kong puppy size toys for chewing. The only one of those that my chewers chunked off were the classic ribbed treat ball. The opening at the top gave them just the purchase they needed to chew thru it.

Pulled out a few current and retired toys
Top row: fleece tugs with squeakers and minimal appendages
Middle row: Small adult Kong treat toy, Kong puppy ridged chew (3 1/4" x 1 1/4"), Kong puppy ribbed treat ball
Bottom row: Small adult Kong ring, Kong puppy treat toy, Himalayan yak chew (what's left), Nylabone adult Flexi Chew (this one went wayyy too far before I found it)
Kong adult rubber toys are red or black usually. Kong puppy toys are pink or blue. The Kong toys definitely stand up better than any others I've tried.

·
Premium Member
4,113 Posts
Asta loves Smartbones. They do have mini size .https://www.chewy.com/smartbones-mini-chicken-chew-bones/dp/52982 which might be good for you. They also come in different flavors. Asta really likes the Peanut and the sweet potato chews.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just know before none of my pups have ever liked the nylabones. They like the dentastyx but they don’t last long. They used to love the love the rawhide and dried meat woven balls. I always watch and when pieces got small I’d toss them, plus they liked digging the meat pieces and then wouldn’t really chew much on the rawhide part. But now my hubs is no rawhide. Ever since the food experience we had with Gia we’ve both been very cautious when it comes to bringing new things in for our pets. He gets really weird on chews. Right now gets g2 gets little soft treats and occasionally dentastyx but I feel like she misses her harder chews, plus with pup coming I want something stronger than the dentastyx to help teething. I have to run errands today so I’ll pick up a few of the ideas from here and let g2 test them 🙂 thanks for the suggestions everyone!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
never heard of these before! What brand do you use? I looked them up on Amazon just to see what they looked like. Might try these out, thanks for sharing!
I tried them today and G2 loved it. Chewed for hours 😂 she was so happy. Thanks Peggy!

·
Super Moderator
5,235 Posts
never heard of these before! What brand do you use? I looked them up on Amazon just to see what they looked like. Might try these out, thanks for sharing!
We've tried a few brands, but here's the one we've currently got:

They're messier. Lots of little pieces all over the place, whereas the ones we tried from Petco left something more like Parmesan shavings. But Peggy likes these ones way more!

Whichever you choose, they should smell nice and smokey. Not mildewy. And once you open the package, don't seal it up again in case you trap moisture in there.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts