Poodle Forum banner

New pup mom with a few questions

637 8
Dog Water dog Dog breed Carnivore Computer keyboard

this cutie here is savannah banana! i was told that she was a mini poodle and just wanted to know if that was true. she is currently 3mo weighing at 8lbs. she is really small and i’m praying that she gets no bigger than 20lbs but i’m not 100% sure on her breed. if anyone else here has a mini poodle what were your poodles weights at this age? i used a dog scanner app and they’ve been telling me she’s a mixed breed and then sometimes say she’s a poodle so i’m just unsure lol. came across this forum today while searching for training tips. if anyone has any answers i’ll appreciate anything. thank you!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Premium Member
Elroy: Standard Poodle, Born 02/20/21
5,432 Posts
Where did you get her from? My Standard poodle was 15 lbs at 3 months so she's definitely smaller than a Standard. Growth charts for miniature poodles (Google it) suggest that at 3 months they are about 30-32% of their adult weight. This suggests your baby's full size would be 25-26.7 lbs. This is just a guide of course.

· Premium Member
Miss Pia Maria , Mr. Leonard Pink , Ms. Nellie Blossom, Ida Lou and Ussman
9,537 Posts
How old is your pup in weeks at 12 weeks my mini puppy Nellie was 5 1/4 pounds at 22 1/2 weeks she was 7 3/4 pounds , it's looking like my girl will be 13~14pounds full grown
Rectangle Slope Plot Parallel Font

· Administrator
15,802 Posts
Welcome! My phone is telling me she’s a poodle or a bichon. In other words, it has no idea. :LOL: There was a study on this topic done a while back, which showed humans are equally as hopeless at identifying mixed breeds.

Hard to tell from the photo, and her current haircut, but does she have some merle pattern? If so, that would confirm she’s a mix, as merle does not naturally occur in poodles.

Since you don’t trust whoever you purchased this cutie from, I would suggest doing a DNA test, not to only test for her breed(s), but also to identify any potential health concerns. Most recently I used Embark and was happy with the results, but I’ve also used Wisdom Panel in the past.

· Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Welcome to you both!

Did you see her dam and/or sire in person ever? Their size will give an indication, but not a guarantee, of her adult size.

Poodle varieties are defined by height at shoulder, 10"-15" for adult miniatures. Most will mature towards the middle or top end of that range.

My boys were both smaller in that age range and have matured as in-size miniatures. I wouldn't describe her as small with that weight at that age. She might even go a bit oversize (height) which isn't unheard of.

Here's my boys 1st year:
6-28 17
8w 4d
Neo 2.8lb
Remo 2.3 lb

7 12 17
10w 4d
Neo 4.0lb
Remo 3.2lb

8 2 17
13w 4d
Neo 6lb
Remo 5lb

9 1 17
17w 6d
Neo 8.8lb
Remo 7.3lb

9 5 17
Neo 9lb
Remo 7.6lb

9 22 17
20w 6d
Neo 10.4lb
Remo 8.4lb

10 4 17
Remo 9lb

10 21 17
Remo 9.3lb

10 23 17
Neo 11lb
Remo 9.5lb

10 29 17
6m old

12 4 17
Neo appr 12lb
Remo approx 10lb

12 28 17
Neo 12.9lb
Remo 10.7lb

12 31 17
First Happy New Year!

4 7 18
Neo about 12,5/12,75lb
Remo about 9.5lb

4 29 18
I year old!

Although the varieties are defined by height, it can be really hard to get that even close to accurate with wiggly puppies. You'll note that I didn't manage :(.

One of our members charted the growth of her small standard and at 3m she was 10lbs and 13" at the shoulder. Savannah isn't in small standard growth territory, at least for now, but looks like oversize miniature is a possibility.

DNA testing will give a breed identification, and for poodles might also distinguish smaller vs larger parentage. My boys were identified as poodle (small) (with some unexpected results also) and several members with a standard poodle posted results indicating poodle (standard) on their results.

· Registered
409 Posts
View attachment 502697

this cutie here is savannah banana! i was told that she was a mini poodle and just wanted to know if that was true. she is currently 3mo weighing at 8lbs. she is really small and i’m praying that she gets no bigger than 20lbs but i’m not 100% sure on her breed. if anyone else here has a mini poodle what were your poodles weights at this age? i used a dog scanner app and they’ve been telling me she’s a mixed breed and then sometimes say she’s a poodle so i’m just unsure lol. came across this forum today while searching for training tips. if anyone has any answers i’ll appreciate anything. thank you!
Aww.. she’s cute. Looks a bit like my mini parti poodle. I can’t remember how much she weighed at that age. I had it written down but lost it. She’s 2 years old and weighs 12 lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts